Wheel size (18 vs. 19) for track days.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a question. If you were going to buy a set of dedicated track wheels ( brand not withstanding). You are going to run PS2's for now until you feel good enough to move up a class to be able to run a set of cups or Hoosier R's.

Would you go with 18's all around, or go with 18's and 19's like stock.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
roadracing?

18's for sure!

PS2's are expensive, ONCE you decide you are ready...you could even play around with a set of Toyo's once you get some seat time with very little expense....save the PS2's for the street:)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
18's definitely.

Save the expensive PS2's for the street.

You could start with used Toyos for very little money.

Dan

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
18" =
Lighter Wheels =
Faster Wheels
Cheaper Wheels
Cheaper tires
More Tire Options

Setup may vary a bit if you have an SRT .... The Year Matters....

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies... The vehicle I refer to is my '06 coupe.

The largest 18" tire I see is a 335/30-18. Is there much of a difference between that and a stock sized 345/30-19 on a gen 3? As I said I am not ready to go to race tires or even DOT rated race tires yet as it would cause a class change which I do not want to do. What's everybody running for tires? What about wheels?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was running with Kumho V700 until they quit making them for our cars. Before that, PS2.

I have CCW C14 wheels which seem to appear at the track on a fair number of cars, particuarly Vettes (CCW C10).

JonB has an excellent deal on OZ wheels now, which wasn't available when I had decided to buy wheels. I went with CCW because they are made to order, I think; so, I figured that it might be easier to replace a wheel in the future if it is not a limited production run type wheel. (The guys that bought the SSR wheels or the Forgeline VR1 wheels would have a hard time now finding a replacement for a damaged wheel because they are no longer produced. That's not to say that I would have any better luck in 2-3 years.:dunno:)

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wouldn't changing back and forth from 19 street to 18 for a track day mess up the alignment and the rake?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
not if overall tire diameter is the same

Or even close to the same. Not worth worrying about.

There is enough variation in your "wheel alignment" with the flexing of the the rubber busings during loading and unloading of the car from side to side (turning) and front to rear (braking) to change your "static" alignment settings.

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did 18s all around and di my first track day with this set up ...... . I went with r6 tires and a track alignment ( specs from a member here) and the car was night and day diff over the stock cups.

MB

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to change the subject completely, but do they make the Michilin Sport Cups in our rear tire size for 18in wheels the 335/30r18? I cant find that size on Tire Rack, they definitly make em for the 19s but what about the 18s.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done two track days now using R6's on factory 18/19 wheels and R6's on my SSR 18/18 wheels. MPH in Hastings, NE which is a 2.25 mile 14 turn course, top speed was 124 mph and BIR in Brainerd, MN, 3.1 mile 10 turn course, top speed was 165 mph. In both cases the 18/18 setup was significantly quicker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21