where to start time to buy!!

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, after viewing a post in regards to the current low prices, I have decided to buy yet another viper. I have owned 3. I am told I can buy an 06 coupe in the mid 40s and an 08 for 60! This is incredible. What a great car for a low price. If this is correct, is the 08 worth the extra 15k or so? Horsepower is not my main concern as my 06 had plenty for me. The trans was another issue altogether. I never really liked the feel of the shift. Has this been addressed in the 08? What other upgrades might tip the scale. Lastly, where should I look. I already looked in the VCA classifieds. I have found e bay to be filled with bozos lately, yes, there are still some good folks, but there is an alarming amount of unethical sellers too. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, after viewing a post in regards to the current low prices, I have decided to buy yet another viper. I have owned 3. I am told I can buy an 06 coupe in the mid 40s and an 08 for 60! This is incredible. What a great car for a low price. If this is correct, is the 08 worth the extra 15k or so? Horsepower is not my main concern as my 06 had plenty for me. The trans was another issue altogether. I never really liked the feel of the shift. Has this been addressed in the 08? What other upgrades might tip the scale. Lastly, where should I look. I already looked in the VCA classifieds. I have found e bay to be filled with bozos lately, yes, there are still some good folks, but there is an alarming amount of unethical sellers too. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich.

If you have the extra cash, Run NOT Walk to an 08! The deals out there are insaine. And since Dodge gave the kickback to dealers; 08s have dropped to the most historically low discount off MSRP for a Viper; EVER! Right now you can easily get $10K off a new 08 and if you look, $20K off is not uncommon!

Now as far as where to find a car, it all depends on what you are willing to spend and what you are willing to do to get into a car. If you want to stay local I would say to try Buhler Dodge in Eatontown, NJ but most likely you will be paying a little bit more overall because it is a dealership. Just for reference, they just had an INSAINE deal on an 08 Venom Convertible for $57K but they got a good deal on it and passed it on to the customer.

If you are willing to look around the country and get a car shipped you have SEVERAL outlets at your disposal. eBay (dealers & Private Sellers from around the country), Autotrader (again dealers & private sellers from around the country), and Cars.com (Same) are just a few. You can also try well known dealers on here if you are looking to go that route. Some of these dealers are Woodhouse Dodge, Palmer Dodge, & Ringgold Dodge.

Hope this info helps!

Good luck with your search

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're at least 20k shy on your estimates. sorry to put a damper on your dream.
No, actually he is pretty close. You may have to look a little but you can definitely get those years in that price range. Several factors play in, particularly mileage, but those years are indeed out there for those prices.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove an 08 and didn't find it enough of a departure from the 06 to warrant the extra dollars. I ended up putting an 08 hood on my 06 for under $1k and am really happy.

Buy from a VCA supporting dealer or a pre-owned car from a member. You'll know you are getting good car from a reputable source. Sometimes those great deals are not so great afterall. Good luck!

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is close on his prices. I would say he can get a low mileage '06 for around $50k and a used '08 for $60k (color depending). The new '08s (whats left of them) are heavily discounted at the right dealers.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to say that the shifting on the 08 is much better. I noticed it right away. Effortless!

Keep in mind that I have the stock 06 shifter. I have not tried the after market shifters.

Is it worth the extra, well that's up to you.

viperpalmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is very close on his pricing. I have a venom red with silver for around 62 and a black with tan interior with 4k for 63ish. 06s are more like in the high 40s to low 50s. I did see a blue/silver stripe for 50k go on ebay the other day with ultra low miles. Deals are out there Viper Nation. WOT! hit the nail on the head about shifting. Even with a short throw MGW or other shifter it qwells in comparison to the smooth ride of an 08. The variable valve timing gives you a much better powerband as well which matted with the new 600HP engine pulls you forward effortlessly, that in conjuction with the new and improved clutch and exhaust changes minimizing interior cabin heat it is a no brainer in my eyes. I don't know your economic situation but if you can swing the extra dough I truely believe you will have a more satisfying buying experience with an 08 whether or not you buy it from me or another one of our great site supporters or even a private party. Best of luck in your search.
Jared O'Brien
Palmer Dodge
404-423-2497

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to say that that's close on some of the prices we've seen. And for those of you that say an 08 is not a great departure from a Gen3, perhaps you didn't get enough seat time in one? I currently own a G2, G3 and an 08, and the 08 is well worth the extra $$, no doubt about it. I might pick up an ACR if they start getting hit with the pricing downdraft (which I doubt, but who knows).

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove an 08 and didn't find it enough of a departure from the 06 to warrant the extra dollars. I ended up putting an 08 hood on my 06 for under $1k and am really happy.

Buy from a VCA supporting dealer or a pre-owned car from a member. You'll know you are getting good car from a reputable source. Sometimes those great deals are not so great afterall. Good luck!

Raven, how did you get all the parts for the 08 hood for $1K?!?! That is super cheap. Painting and the hood alone should cost more than that.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nsane1 and Jared are 100% correct take it from people who own both or have plenty of seat time in both the 08/09 is the best Viper ever built. I am not trying to sell an 08 and if I was unhappy or didn't think it was that big a difference I would say so. For example I prefer the Gen 2 over the Gen 3 all things considered. I still think the Gen 2 GTS Vipers are some of the best looking cars ever built. But the Gen 4s are in a league of their own. My two cents.

OP
OP
R

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thank you all for the responses. I will say based on replies that I am close, only one person said I was off. I started looking and saw a new 08 for 76900. That is insane!!! When I bought my second 06, I paid 80k, and thought I did well ( brand new VOI9). This is newer and some considerable upgrades. I will look for a steal on a 06 coupe for a few days, but I am leaning towards a new 08. I would appreciate any leads if anyone sees anything 06-08 coupe. I am in NJ., The comments about the shifting are making me really lean to an 08, plus I am sure I can find a use for the extra 100 HP!.. Thank you all again for your insight and help.
Kind regards, Rich

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I call BS on the 08 hood for 1K......just trying to make us feel bad....BS all the way.... This I have to see.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thank you all for the responses. I will say based on replies that I am close, only one person said I was off. I started looking and saw a new 08 for 76900. That is insane!!! When I bought my second 06, I paid 80k, and thought I did well ( brand new VOI9). This is newer and some considerable upgrades. I will look for a steal on a 06 coupe for a few days, but I am leaning towards a new 08. I would appreciate any leads if anyone sees anything 06-08 coupe. I am in NJ., The comments about the shifting are making me really lean to an 08, plus I am sure I can find a use for the extra 100 HP!.. Thank you all again for your insight and help.
Kind regards, Rich

There is a loaded red 08 vert at Orange Coast Dodge in Costa Mesa, CA which Viper X has already verified as the real thing. It's brand new and 70K. I can't believe it has not sold:omg:

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang