Who do you use for insurance? Not for people that have collector car insurace

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay finalizing a deal on purchasing an 03 Viper. Time to look for insurance, to this point I was on my dad's policy to save a couple bucks but now I live about 5 hrs away and not sure I want my 17 year old brother listed on a policy on a viper, it's time to get my own policy. I am 28, clean record, live in Miami Beach, the Viper will be my only car but my commute to and from work is less than a mile each way, so in reality I put on about 6k miles a year and the car will sit in a parking garage at both my work and my place. So far I checked geico, allstate, state farm, progressive, and esurance. Some won't even cover the viper, the best rate I got was Geico at $750 every 6 months for $100/300/100 coverage with $500 deductable, any other insurance companies I should try?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That rate is going to be about double what I pay, but my Viper is a second car. I think most peoples rates will be skewed with that in mind. Honestly, I think that sounds pretty cheap for a primary car!

Glad to see you're getting ready to get into a Viper from your other toys!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay less than that for a YEAR with Geico. Like Hank said though, it's not my only car insured with them.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will barely drive this car so definitely don't need a daily driver. Honestly my current insurance company (Mercury) wanted almost $1800 every 6 months haha so I thought geicos price was pretty good. I am going to call around to get some quotes too but figured I'd get the online quotes out of the way.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 Viper, bought in 05 and with Allstate, 85 a month (when driving) and im 41 Right now its just 25 a month (comp ins only) bc it just sits in the garage 10 months a year

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just avoid USAA whatever you do. State Farm is good but if you have other cars, boats, or property insured, use them for multi discounts.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geico here.

Get married; that will save you the most amount of money in car insurance (but everything else will double in costs! haha)

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nationwide here.
We've had everything with them for 25 years plus... cars, boat house. I must say, they are great when you need to make a claim, regardless of home owners or auto. They cut the check with no hassles.
I have heard a few people tell me they like their rates with Geico but good luck if you need to make a claim.
I can't speak from experience on it though but I'd definitely do some homework before going the Geico route. I heard from like 3 different sources they **** you around for months while you're trying to make a claim.

I can speak from experience with Nationwide...
car; they came out and replaced my windsheild the same day I called them... did it in the parking lot at work.
car again; fixed fender bender and provided rental car... got it all in one week
house; made a call after a hail storm... replaced entire roof with heavy lifetime owens corning 3 dimsensional shingles. That hail damage could easily had been from the previous years (previous owners) but I just called because we saw some hail out on the porch after moving in only a year prior.

Good luck, Mike

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BYT94, We're the same with our insurance co. (statefarm, though). We have Everything with them, 4 vehicles, 2 homes & our business. I've thought about it a time or two (about checking around for a lil' cheaper rate on the cars) but like you said, we've never had any trouble when we've made a claim (they just cut us a check) & not sure it would be worth it for just a few less $$ a month. On just my vehicles (Viper, Porsche, H2, Full Coverage on all, $500 duct.) I pay $798 every six months, so I don't think I could get it much cheaper anyway. jmo

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Why avoid USAA? I only ask because they insure everything I own...

There is a thread on here about the problems GTSR 91 had with USAA when his Gen 2 was stolen and then crashed by the thief.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own and manage an insurance office that services multiple states. I can tell you from experience that Nationwide is hard to beat. I have them on all our properties, cars, and jewelry (yep got the wifes bling insured). They are a pleasure to deal with from a claims perspective. We had a house fire last April and they were awesome. Paid us without any hassles, nearly $60,000 and didn't raise our rates either. They are prompt and more than fair. I just see a lot of these policies and trust me when I say you DON'T want state farm (or anything with Farm in it).

When the tornadoes ravaged our area there were more than a few houses that had "we were insured by State Farm" banners hanging from the roof, with tarps covering the houses. Nationwide had signs everywhere with the 800# for claims dept and paid us on our damaged rentals and damaged vehicles within 1 week from the tornado destruction.

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 27 and I pay $942 a year for my 2008 through Progressive, largely because the car is categorized as a pleasure vehicle and not a commuter vehicle. Funny enough it's only $6 a year more expensive than my 2001 Mustang GT, also categorized as a pleasure vehicle. (I have no commute -- I work out of a home office.)

It should hopefully go down by up to 30% once I finish with their Snapshot program though since I drive so little, relatively speaking.

You must be registered for see images attach

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys have everything cheap.

vancouver bc

have my viper insured under my parents name. they get 42%discount opposed to my 10%. parents pay $3400 with discount. i would have to pay $5500.

mine has comprehensive + road side plus but labled as a pleasure meaning cant drive to work school

this is 1 year.
my ferrari 355 1 day pass is $80.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Erie Insurance here. Been with them a long time. Multiple dwellings, multiple vehicles. $480 year, $100 deduct on collision & comp. Nationwide is pretty close on rates, as I shop around from time to time.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a thread on here about the problems GTSR 91 had with USAA when his Gen 2 was stolen and then crashed by the thief.

I figured it had to be something like that...still not enough to make me change insurance companies, especially since my wife and I have had really good luck with them for our other vehicles.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Allstate and have been very happy with them. I am 28 and married so of course that makes a difference, plus I have 3 cars on the policy, Viper, Super Bee SRT-8 and 1972 Challenger. All together for the 3 vehicles I pay just under $1200 every 6 months.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured it had to be something like that...still not enough to make me change insurance companies, especially since my wife and I have had really good luck with them for our other vehicles.
You might change your mind if you ever have a car claim with them esp. on the Viper. Keep your fingers crossed. Their crooks when it comes to a claim and esp. if you have mods done to it. Long story.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might change your mind if you ever have a car claim with them esp. on the Viper. Keep your fingers crossed. Their crooks when it comes to a claim and esp. if you have mods done to it. Long story.

I have had a couple of car claims with them (not on the Viper though), and they have been fantastic.

That said, if I had a heavily modded car, a cookie cutter insurance policy would be the last thing I'd consider...I'd be looking at an agreed-value policy, no questions asked.

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
State farm here. Not bad when I had a total loss of a Viper last year, but the buyout price was about 5000 less than I thought it should be. My new Viper is also insured with State Farm right now but I'll be changing to a stated value policy in the next week or two.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
28, married, pay 950/6 months on three car's including the 03 viper. That is with Geico. One thing to keep in mind is where people are located. I had Allstate and when we lived in Spokane, WA, our rates were pretty low. When we moved to Florida, it just aobut doubled. That was when we switched over to Geico. I don't know if they are any good with a claim, but at least they are reasonable with rates. Another thing to look into is buying a ****** to register as your DD and the Viper as a pleasure car. It might actually make your insurance cheaper with having two vehicles insured.

Glad to hear you are getting your viper.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Usaa actually told me to go get an agreed policy with someone else. When I called to add the 09 viper to our current policy with them the lady said I would lose significant amount of money on the car if I wrecked it that day. She told me what the value would be if it was totaled and my jaw hit the floor. So I took her advice and called Insurance One out of San Antonio and they got me a policy with State Auto.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usaa actually told me to go get an agreed policy with someone else. When I called to add the 09 viper to our current policy with them the lady said I would lose significant amount of money on the car if I wrecked it that day. She told me what the value would be if it was totaled and my jaw hit the floor. So I took her advice and called Insurance One out of San Antonio and they got me a policy with State Auto.

That definitely makes me wonder...perhaps I should ask them what they'd give me if mine was totaled today. They didn't bat an eyelash at adding it to my policy...did you buy your '09 new?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have progressive, my 09 viper is cheaper than my 10 srt8 and 09 silverado....:ponder:

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to give AllState (current insurer) a call on a '99 RT/10 and '03 SRT. Two years ago they came in at $546 and $750 respectively for 6 months. Now, they would be $1122.00 and $1254 for 6 months!!! What the hell happened? We currently have 2 normal vehicles at $1400 every 6 months.
Agent stated to me they have changed the way they evaluate and charge their rates. Told the agent what the 2-year-ago rate would be, but she couldn't really give me reasoning behind it all. Said things relating to safety played a part in it. So now all of a sudden a Viper is safer than MB, BMW, and RR offerings?
Sad thing is those were not the most expensive quotes!

Cars I'm looking at:

2006 MB CLS55 AMG - $1859.00
2007-08 BMW 650i vert - $1105.00
2008 Range Rover sport SC - $1750.00

all are 6 month policies.

So, I called Barrett-Jackson and got a quote for the '99 Viper of..............................$762 for a YEAR!? What's going on here?

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6-mth with USAA runs us $492.85 on the Viper - I am kinda afraid to see what they would replace me with...yikes! Based on experience with the accident I had a lil' over a year ago there is NO WAY I would recommend them to anyone, however. Good Luck!!

Mr. Mom has a good choice in cars!!!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
State Farm here, multi-everything discounts.

As noted above: single; 28; only car insured; daily driver; sportscar; Miami, FL = cha ching! I am used to SoCal. rates and I thought your rate looked pretty good.