WHO is competent dealer to work on my gts in dallas texas?

subgunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
first time here. Have owned my 98 GTS since 99 and was unaware of this board!
I am having a problem and need some advice/help.
My bone stock 98 gts idles at 400 rpm, camming slightly, and the gear shift seems to want to rattle its ass off! is this normal??
I always assumed it was, but took it in to DALLAS DODGE here in dallas three weeks ago to have them fix the idle.
Well, after three weeks, I picked it back up yesterday with no resolution!
They initally told me it must be the bosch plugs I installed, the really good ones with four elctrodes. I told them if they thought that was it to replace them. made no difference (are these plugs ok to run in gts??)
next, they said all computer info says all is ok, problem must be internal!!???
I allowed them to do compression test, and it registered 150lb cold all cylinders, and 100 running. How the hell do they get a running pressure????? Beats the hell out of me. Anyways I assume that is normal also?
Next they removed oil filter and examined for metal fragments, none found.
Lastly, the service advisor tells me that it must be internal and likely be something like a flat lobe on a camshaft..
I am no super tuner, but this cant be right. I had the car dyno'd and it is/was putting 418.6 to the ground and this is a bone stock motor. Does this sound about right?? I just dont see how a internal problem could case a constant low idle, especially since the car is so dmned fast, does not miss, does not use oil, and has 418 to the ground.
Any ideas comment would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance <font color="red"> </font>

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you reading the tach correctly? The first tick mark is 500RPM. The second tick mark is 750RPM. The pre 2000 cars have a lumpy cam 6 deg. more overlap and do idle rough.

To fix the wobbly shifter just replace the factory rubber mounted damper rod with an aftermarket shorter solid rod.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume the car never used to idle this way previously, right? What was the prior idle rpm? For your year car, Neutral Gear rattle is very normal, but your complaint sounds much more like a significant misfire. The dealer should be able to connect to a DRBIII and tell you the exact idle rpm and perhaps detect any misfires.

Your power number is great, but did the car run the way it runs now at the time you dyno'd it? I have to assume that since you have had the car for nearly 5 years that it used to run better, so I would not trust old dyno data.

All this said, the earlier GTS has a significant cam lope, which in part causes neutral gear rattle due to the torsional vibration transmitted through the transmission. Depress the clutch at idle and the rattle disappears. Personally, I always liked this feature, as I liked the mechanical sounds the car made and the lack of compromise for quietness in order to maximize performance.

I recommend Keith Laxson, best Viper Tech in the area, who is now out on his own. (214) 674-9340 is his mobile.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the car is not in warranty

Kieth Laxson is in your area and he is Great to deal with. I have his number but not with me.

get in touch with him and he can take a look.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's not the popular opinion, but I have had several quality problems with Kieth's work on two separate occasions. I would not recommend him as a result. E-mail me if you want the details. :usa:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, you have a 98 with a fairly lumpy cam! They do that! It's one of the things I love most about my car!

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Keith Laxson, All Pro Automotive, 1961 E. Frankford Road. Tel (972)394-4139. He previously worked for Dodge and is a certified Dodge tech. He has been recommended by several Viper owners in the Dallas area. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

subgunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, maybey I just thought I was reading tach correctly???
there is one mark very close to zero, and one about half way to one.
It idles slightly below the scond mark and the motor shimmys then clams, repeatedly. the shimmy transmitts to the gear selector.
I dropped car off at keiths place today, and he told me the second mark is 500rpm.
is this correct???
thanks <font color="blue"> </font>

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
subgunman,

Is this a condition that's always existed or did it just start acting like that? From everything you've described, it sounds like normal. My 97 has had the lopey idle and neutral gear rattle (NGR) since day one. Even more so after I installed T&amp;D roller rockers. I love that lopey idle. The NGR is irritating but I've gotten used to it and don't even notice it anymore. As far as spark plugs, I'd just stick the stock Champion plugs (RC 12 LYC). They're cheap enough to replace every oil change. I also keep and extra set of K&amp;N air filters. Rotate and clean them every oil change.

subgunman.....cool name...MP5? :cool:

OP
OP
S

subgunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mp5? 6 in stock. 142 mg's total.....I am a gun dealer. One of the largest in texas!
To be honest, I do not believe it has always been this bad, but the gear shifter has always had a little vibration.
When the hood is up, you can see the engine "lope" then a somewhat violent shimmy taht is transmitted through shifter. The shifter shakes side to side a good 1/2 inch to one inch then the motor smoths for a few seconds then does it again, repeatedly.
When I first start the car for the first minute, it idles slightlyabove the second mark and all is fine. After it warms for aminute or so, the shimmy comes full force.
I regret not have driven it more. I bought it in end of 99 and rarely dive it.
Thansk for your input.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mp5? 6 in stock. 142 mg's total.....I am a gun dealer. One of the largest in texas!
To be honest, I do not believe it has always been this bad, but the gear shifter has always had a little vibration.
When the hood is up, you can see the engine "lope" then a somewhat violent shimmy taht is transmitted through shifter. The shifter shakes side to side a good 1/2 inch to one inch then the motor smoths for a few seconds then does it again, repeatedly.
When I first start the car for the first minute, it idles slightlyabove the second mark and all is fine. After it warms for aminute or so, the shimmy comes full force.
I regret not have driven it more. I bought it in end of 99 and rarely dive it.
Thansk for your input.

From what you described there, it sounds exactly like how mine starts. Smooth for the first minute or so then really rough and lopey (like its about to die)for until its fully warm. Then it idles like a lumpy cam engine should.
142 MG's? :shocked: ...Must be nice. Life is much different here in the PRK. :(

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subgunman,

1) Did you ever get your idle resolved?

2) What is your first name? (Or business name.) I thought I new all the smg dealers here in Dallas, having bought a few my self... Never realized any of them were Viper owners.

OP
OP
S

subgunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no,
it is STILL at all pro automotive in carrolton. after plug wires and new fuel pump......car still idles right below second mark on tach after the zero, and the engine "shudders" then smooths out constantly.
Business name is SCHRAMMS AMMO &amp; WEAPONS