Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why didn\'t this car get more bids?

Too many Miles for me....i'm in at 36K

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The stripes are taped and not done very well....the distance between them is very narrow on the nose and widens out as it goes back

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Although none of you want to hear this, it is b/c it isn't a great deal. Not a bad one, but not a great one. locally, there are 98 and 99 GTSs and RT/10's going for low 30's. If this car is perfect, i could see it going for 33-35k. but not much more.

In an unrelated note, it has a cassette player... not the original CD player. so something is up with that. even though it is an alpine cassette player.

JD

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aftermarket stripes not done well.
No pics of the motor.
Slimey ArmorAll all over the interior. JMO. Some folks like that crap.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I contacted the owner yesterday. He didn't believe it didn't even meet his reserve price. I ran a carfax on it. Clean. Two owner. First owner had it from 1999 until Dec 24 2006. Current owner took title on Dec 28th 2006 and has put 500 miles on it. ( A new title was issued every other year. Can someone explain that to me?)

I wrote back and asked for more pictures and a better detailed description of the car. I also always ask for home number.

He didn't write me back after that request.

It looked like a good deal to me. You guys have a better eye than I do.

Joseph - I am in the market for a GTS. I haven't seen deals anywhere close to what you describe locally. Can you please send me leads when you see those local deals!! Thanks.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man what happpened to the value of our cars. When i bought mine about 2 years ago 42 was a good deal for a 99 with around 21k miles. NOw your saying low 30's so the value dropped 10K in 2 years? What a crock! Hell maybe in 2 more years they'll only be 20k and then i can buy another lol

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

High mileage is a deterent. Bad stripe job. Probably numerous reasons.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I contacted the owner yesterday. He didn't believe it didn't even meet his reserve price. I ran a carfax on it. Clean. Two owner. First owner had it from 1999 until Dec 24 2006. Current owner took title on Dec 28th 2006 and has put 500 miles on it. ( A new title was issued every other year. Can someone explain that to me?)

One has to wonder why the new owner is selling the car after only 45 days of ownership. . . :confused:

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please let me know of any GTS's going for low $30K's. I may add a FEW to the garage at that price. It isn't happening anywhere that I have seen except maybe 1 or 2 ragged out high mileage cars with an extensive accident history.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Odd...also, I trying to think of the last tme I saw a Viper for sale where the photo layout didn't include and engine shot.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's a guy in GA selling a silver GTS that he paid 31k for about a year ago... he's added some stuff including HRE's and 35k it's out the door.

There was a red GTS w/ stripes that went for 32k about 2 months ago.

if i see any similar buys i'll let y'all know!

JD

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Although none of you want to hear this, it is b/c it isn't a great deal. Not a bad one, but not a great one. locally, there are 98 and 99 GTSs and RT/10's going for low 30's. If this car is perfect, i could see it going for 33-35k. but not much more.

In an unrelated note, it has a cassette player... not the original CD player. so something is up with that. even though it is an alpine cassette player.

JD

$33-$35K?? All I need to know is where, and how many of them I can buy at that price.. If they are clean title, no paintwork. I will send a wire transfer today.

Bottom line, that is a GOOD price for this car. Why didnt it sell? I agree with some of the others..

1. Stripes are done poorly.
2. Armor All slopped all over the place (usually done to hide a beat interior)
3. wrong color (Ive never seen a car thats soo effected by what color combo it is). If this were a 99 Black/Silver stripes. Would be close to $50k.
4. Timing is not the best
5. As crazy as this may sound, the mileage is high. Which is ridiculous, but thats the market folks.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DONT trust what carfax says...check it out yourself and also have a good, trusted viper tech have a look at it.

i know for a fact carfax is BS sometimes..its only a place to start but its NOT gospel !!!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's a guy in GA selling a silver GTS that he paid 31k for about a year ago... he's added some stuff including HRE's and 35k it's out the door.

There was a red GTS w/ stripes that went for 32k about 2 months ago.

if i see any similar buys i'll let y'all know!

JD

That silver car has a few issues that need addressing too. For a DIY person keeping the car it is probably still a good deal though.

BTWJD .... CONGRATS !!!!!

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's simple...
milage
stripes
tax season
It'll sell late spring/early summer

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also: Door speaker covers scrathced and possibly cracked; Exhaust out the back does not appear to be the stock exhaust or any recognized aftermarket exhaust. (The tips are not parallel to each other. They are crooked.); the side of the front fascia on the driver's side sticks out past the hood ( compare it with the passenger side - something happened to the front of this car); duct tape hanging from the dash to the left of the steering wheel; something does not look quite right about the paint on the rear bumper - could be the photography but may indicate the car was repainted.

Again: the stripes are absurd. They do not even match up between the front fascia and the hood.

lilviv

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Without repeating everything said above . . . the car is not a good specimen, and I wouldn't even pay what it went for. You just don't want one that's been through that, who knows what else is wrong, you know? Just not taken care of . . .

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys are good. I wouldn't have noticed those things except for the stripes. I guess that comes with having been around Vipers for a while. That's why I asked.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whats the big deal about the stripes? Half an hour with a heat gun and they are gone. That would be the last worry unless they are hiding something as well.