Why I’ve chosen the Gen V…a cross-shopper’s perspective

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks emericr,

I am excited, and relieved to have been able to come to such a confident decision to buy. I agree with everything that you say, and was also being put off by those and many other reasons. But a funny thing happened as I realized that the car itself was truly what I was looking for, and suddenly those complaints simply no longer were a deterrent. I could have purchased an AMG or a Porsche instead, and literally tried to talk myself into those and others, particularly focusing on the 911 GT3. But it didn't matter how good the GT3 is, or how great the C7Z06 will be heralded next month, or how fantastic the R8, GT-R, and similarly priced used exotics are, or how easy it is to drive and buy them, or how pleasant their owner's forums are, or how technically advanced some are, or how great their DCT's are...none of that mattered when determining where I'd drop the ***, and while there were a lot of nice sports cars out there, there wasn't even one that I considered a second place choice to the TA for my needs. I had resigned myself to keep what I had if I couldn't buy the TA, and would have waited for whatever track focused version replaces it had I not been able to find one.

I found that rather surprising as the car I was going to trade in was a convertible that we love driving top down in, so I really thought I wanted a Viper convertible if it came out with roll-over protection for the track. I had also got swept up into the DCT buzz, and thought the active suspension and e-diff on my Jaguar was the cat's meow. One of my favorite features in the Jag are the cooled seats which are awesome at the track.

So in the end I didn't end up with some of the things that I thought I would want, but got everything I could possibly have hoped for in a truly remarkable and collectible track/weekend car. It will be an event every time I fire it up, a real sense of occasion to cruise around in, and a hair-on-fire thrill to track. And it will hopefully take me years to explore its limits. After sharing a private fall track day with close to 20 911 GT3 and GT3 RS's, I rather think I'm also going to enjoy the rarity of the Gen V. Each of us looks to find a car that will suit our needs, and despite there being a wide selection of impressive cars, we're very lucky indeed to find one that we can be so passionate about owning. The absolute last things that would prevent me from buying it would be the things you mentioned, and I purchased my car without ever stepping foot into the showroom, never mind into the car. That may sound like a risk, and certainly out of character for me, but I feel I know everything I need to in order to purchase it, and I'll gladly accept and adjust to the rest of it. I'm glad to see this forum move beyond all those initial criticisms, and I'm sure all the great reviews of "production" cars and owner feedback has exposed it as a gem. I hope SRT will improve in whatever areas it can, and that other prospective buyers will focus on what's truly important.

I hope you feel as positive about your AMG purchase, and will enjoy it just as much!

Bruce

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You nailed my feelings on the car, Bruce. I knew I wanted the Gen 5 Viper the moment I saw it unveiled on that stage. I hadn't bought a car prior to that in over a year, as I was somewhat content. A week after the unveil, I sold my Z06 to make room for the Viper, even though it was over a year away. There was no 2nd choice for me, I simply buy what I want.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You nailed my feelings on the car, Bruce. I knew I wanted the Gen 5 Viper the moment I saw it unveiled on that stage. I hadn't bought a car prior to that in over a year, as I was somewhat content. A week after the unveil, I sold my Z06 to make room for the Viper, even though it was over a year away. There was no 2nd choice for me, I simply buy what I want.

Hey Tony, I know I was rather stunned by yours and others decision to buy like that. I would think most have to see, touch and drive before committing to a major car purchase. It's probably hard for most people to be able to get to the point that they could do that, and it's probably the 100% unique nature of the Viper that makes it possible for those that do. I mean, what if you did sit and drive it? Unless you just fell off the back of a turnip truck you already know it's fast, stiff, tight, poor visibility, wake the dead loud, and awkward to get in and out of. If you're already planning to over-look all those critical things, and think it's the most beautiful thing ever, then what the heck do you think you're going to discover in a 10 minute drive that would all of a sudden change your mind about buying it? I mean, seriously...what's left to not like? Functionality of the infotainment system? SRT already knew they had eliminated 99% of all prospective buyers with just those basic practical issues...they know the 1% that are still interested after some basic research are probably still there for the right reasons, and letting them loose with a Dodge salesperson could blow the whole thing. I figure it could take me up to a week just to recalibrate my brain enough to start processing all the sensory inputs. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that my wife won't allow me to ever choose another car during that first week also. Heck, I'd have refused the offer to let her drive it before buying it! She's going to love it in the end, or at least love that I love it, so long as she has her own choice of car to drive...and I can live with that. We went to look at one in a showroom a couple of weeks ago and she loved the look of it...and then I got her out of there quick :)

Bruce

Last edited:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd hold off on buying another car... you could get your wife a hellcat-powered charger before too long;{)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony, I know I was rather stunned by yours and others decision to buy like that. I would think most have to see, touch and drive before committing to a major car purchase.

I'd like to be able to say that since I already own a Gen 3 coupe that I knew the expectations going into the purchase, and knew they would produce a better car. But, looking back on my '06 purchase, I did the exact same thing. Purchased without ever ridden or driven one, only seen one in person. I wasn't even aware the Gen 3 coupes had come out, until I was shooting a magazine article on a Firebird and one showed up to the shoot. After following that blue coupe around all day, I bought one a few months later.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am only talking for myself but the reason why I wanted to drive it (more than just a few minutes) is that it would be my daily driver and I need something that is comfortable and the gizmos inside do play a role.
Every car fits a specific body type better than others. Another reason why I wander these forums to try to find guys that are nice enough to let me test drive their cars.
I don't really believe in having a garage queen that I only take out for the week end (probably because my wallet is not fat enough lol).

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, you made a great choice. Saw your post in our XKR forums. Will miss you there. As a former owner of a GTS I know you will love this car. Your post has me considering one as well ;-)

You know how I've been bellyaching about wanting a 3rd pedal for some time. Love the sound, power, stance, flexibility and exotic presence of my modded XKR. Besides the 3rd pedal, thicker wheel, lower stance, crazy grip and outright thrust very few cars make you feel king of the road like a Viper. I suppose a Lambo Murci/Aventador but these are were 3x price new!

As you've seen from my various posts when I go back to 3 pedals within the next 6 months I'm down to R8, GT3 and V Viper.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know how I've been bellyaching about wanting a 3rd pedal for some time. Love the sound, power, stance, flexibility and exotic presence of my modded XKR. Besides the 3rd pedal, thicker wheel, lower stance, crazy grip and outright thrust very few cars make you feel king of the road like a Viper. I suppose a Lambo Murci/Aventador but these are were 3x price new!

As you've seen from my various posts when I go back to 3 pedals within the next 6 months I'm down to R8, GT3 and V Viper.

Well hello again, and thanks! Bellyaching? I thought I could tell almost two years that the XKR wasn't wild enough for you, and all the mods were just delaying the inevitable! The other cars you mention are all great, and other than the Viper all have the engine mounted behind like the NSX that you also love. I respect the cars on your list, but it was only the Viper that had the exterior styling that appeals to me, and that's how it all started. Fortunately, it also turned out to be a stunning performer. If I felt the same way about the others on your list I'd have chosen one of them instead and been just as happy. Hopefully you'll be able to sort out the best one for your needs. If you're reading reviews and considering the TA, check out the Feb '14 Grass Roots Motorsports review just out now and get down to an SRT dealer PRONTO!

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21