why is corvette beating viper at lemans,texas and sebring???and how?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it is because the factory sponsored Vipers have left the sceen.

But, pooor Corvettes. Just when they think all is clear since the factory Vipers depart, here comes the Saleen S7. I'll bet that would have been some close race if the factory Vipers had been present. Oh well, it was fun pulling for the S7 -- what a looker!

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between the old factory efforts involving Team Oreca and the private efforts of the Viper team you have seen at both Texas and Sebring. Race car setup, budget, driving abilty, and engineering technology play a huge role in what you are seeing. Some of the Viper drivers you are watching are primarily "club racers" who pay the team owner to drive these two GTS-Rs. They are courageous and you have to applaud their efforts, however, once Dodge decided to abandon their professional Viper racing platform, any chance of winning a meaningful race in 2001 will depend on Chevy and Saleen breaking their cars. You've got to give the privateers credit for having both of their cars finish the grueling 12 hours of Sebring. Joe Ellis and Tom Weickardt have come a long way as drivers and it is they who are carrying the torch in the ALMS. Eric Messley and a mix of other professional drivers like Stu Hayner and Terry Borcheller are mentoring the team through these races by driving the second car. By the way, these are two brand new 2000 GTS-Rs that were purchased from the estate of Bob Hoquim in late 2000. Bob had purchased them to race in Viper Days events before his untimely death from a heart attack. Tom Weickardt, a Viper Days racer, purchased both of them to begin his professional race team debut. In their debut, I believe both cars were involved in crashes at Road Atlanta. They were fixed and each managed to finish the next two races at Texas and Sebring. Great equipment but a new team on the front end of a huge learning curve. Congratulations to Erik, Tom and Joe for a huge effort and giving us someone to cheer for.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is GM's year to shine. The next Chapter GTSR is coming soon and then it's back to chasing tailights for the bowties. That C5R is one hell of a race car but there's a reason there are no privaters running that platform.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette has not penalized to anywhere near the same degree as the Viper. The Vette was even allowed to have a larger motor installed that is not even available in the Vette right now. All the Viper got, was added weight, restrictor plates, etc, etc, it was time for the Viper factory team to quit while they were ahead. Watch closely over the next year or two, the same thing will happen to the Vette, if it keeps on winning, or to the Saleen Mustang. I do not like the rules as they currently stand, it keeps knocking the top dog off after a short stint on top, for the sake of trying to keep all the cars even. The Viper will be back in 2003, after all the penalties it had attached to it are gone, then it starts the cycle all over again.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because of Oreca's sucess in the past, the Vipers this year are overpenalized. Seems unfair to me.

Go Saleen!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The (courageous) privateer Viper teams are using old equipment, and have NO factory support. Little sponsorship. And in no way can be compared to ORECA or GM/Goodwrench Corvettes.

The Saleen S7R now has former Viper GTS-R chief engineer Neil Hanneman aboaurd, so there is a "DNA Link" in my mind! I am thrilled to see Steve Saleen ("suhLEEN") kicking GM butt.

The Saleen S7 will be at SIR this week, and Dan Vargus is sheduled for a.................DRIVE ! Weather forecast is good. I hope he stubbs his toe and has to seek a backup......

JonB

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In addition to the penalities,the c5-r has been widened twice and the engine size has been increased twice. Bottomline - Brand X is making a Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960