why is is hard to power shift the Viper ?

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had all kinds of cars,been drag racing for years. I find it very hard to power shift third gear in this car.
B&M shifter and all.........any input ?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it easier to shift the Viper if you dont fight it. Just push into 3rd lightly and it falls in, if you try to force it fast it does not seem to go in.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you mean! Third gear seems to catch me from time to time when I try to powershift. It almost scares me enough to not even attempt it! I usually shift hard from 1-2, easy into third, and hard from 3-4.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Someone had a theory that the engine and tranny twist in their mounts, when you push in the clutch in after running it out in second, and the torque on the drivetrain momentarily drops off, and this twisting reaction puts the "gate" for third a little off center of where you expect it to be.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just freakin stab third, you wussies... :eek:

It's definitely a push, if you push with your palm, you cannot miss the gates...pick a spot on the bezel that lines up with the 2nd top 3rd shift and push it straight toward that spot every time...Be a man...You can't miss...This is an American car...No some candyass-eurotrash...It's not gonna shift for you...Manhandle it... :cool:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Gerald, you ever miss third when trying a no-lift shift from 2nd?

Sometimes it works for me, but sometimes I miss 3rd and end up in 5th. Gawd, I hate that!

If I lift off the gas somewhat when going from 2 to 3, its a lot easier.

What does this mean, like if you translated it into English?
"pick a spot on the bezel that lines up with the 2nd top 3rd shift and push it"
Is zat from the Kama Sutra?

Oh, I get it now. You mean, spot choose bezel mark aim dash spot that time every. :)

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I get it now. You mean, spot choose bezel mark aim dash spot that time every. :)

And "push" like you have a pair...you can't miss...use mostly the palm of your hand...one motion, not two (ie, neutral, then third...) and actually, if you push slightly to the right of where you usually do, with one motion, she'll hit third everytime, all day long, can't go anywhere else but third...

You don't still have the stocker truck shifter???

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yep, still have the stock shifter.

I usually just hit it with my purse. :p

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt, the MGW knob will defiently improve your shifting thus giving you a better time at the strip. Probably was good for a couple of tenths at least.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also try to get the lowering system from Detert. I'v driven a Viper with the MGW Gripper and Detert's drop, works great, feels like it should (haven't driven any other Vipers though, so I can't compare).

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also try to get the lowering system from Detert. I'v driven a Viper with the MGW Gripper and Detert's drop, works great, feels like it should (haven't driven any other Vipers though, so I can't compare).

Huh?

Please explain what lowering system from Detert is/means. Short shifter kit?

Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just the shifter knob is a big improvement. I put it on this week and love the feel and it shifts better for some reason. I guess it is the shorter throw. the shifter knob alone is about 1 1/2 - 2" shorter

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A second here for Rich's shifter rod - very solid mod. Combined with an MGW gripper shifter it's near perfect.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich's short shifter shaft works pretty well, shortens and crispens the shifts, though they require a touch more physical force than stock.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T took a B&M and screwed the top half from the stocker onto the b and m base, coupled with an MGW knob. perfect. 3rd is easy and doesnt seem so narrow anymore.