why no top speed runs for 08 viper?

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
09 zr1 has a few top speed runs but no o8 viper.zr1 gets so much more testing and reviews and viper is kind of like forgotten.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid car magazines probably think the '08's are pretty much the same car as the '06's. But eventually someone is going to test the ZR1 and the ACR head to head.:drive:

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid car magazines probably think the '08's are pretty much the same car as the '06's. But eventually someone is going to test the ZR1 and the ACR head to head.:drive:

They would have to do the regular Viper coupe, it carries more top end by far then the ACR. The aero on the ACR scrubs way to much speed as I'm sure you know. I believe they rated the ACR at 180 top speed with factory set up and the coupe at 202. Can't be sure but I think that's correct.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would have to do the regular Viper coupe, it carries more top end by far then the ACR. The aero on the ACR scrubs way to much speed as I'm sure you know. I believe they rated the ACR at 180 top speed with factory set up and the coupe at 202. Can't be sure but I think that's correct.

When magazine tests these car on the track and since most tracks in the US don't reach 170, so the ACR should be used. Besides, if the wing of the ACR is adjusted for top speed and the front splitter's attach angle dialed in properly, who knows what the top speed of the ACR will end up.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When magazine tests these car on the track and since most tracks in the US don't reach 170, so the ACR should be used. Besides, if the wing of the ACR is adjusted for top speed and the front splitter's attach angle dialed in properly, who knows what the top speed of the ACR will end up.

You are so correct, I thought the origination of this thread was for top speed. I also mentioned in my comment "factory set up" meaning no alterations to the car for magazine testing purposes. They squawked that the ACR suspension was lowered in Germany for the "ring" run. I apologize if I misunderstood the thread.:dunno:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Those are the numbers I read as well.

As far as magazine reports - count the number of GM ads in the magazine or on the webpage then it's easy to see which car wins.

When mags/rags test for the "Ultimate Track Car" and the Viper wins all speed, acceleration tests, but apparently cupholders and traction control are more important in a mag race car than power and performance. Such is life.

Wishing that weight demands and intake restrictors weren't required on race cars, then we could really see which car is the supreme machine - like during the late 90s when Vipers won allk events and all other cars ('cept F1) were losers.

Ted

Ted

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they even had an article about the fastest cars over 200 mph and not a viper in there but they did put a vette,i just think they ignore viper and praise the vette .they need to test the 08 coupe for a top speed run .viper imo is just purely the american top sports car,dont get me wrong vette are great cars have had many of them but for 90k or less you get a hell of alot more car than the 120k and up zr1.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
they even had an article about the fastest cars over 200 mph and not a viper in there but they did put a vette,i just think they ignore viper and praise the vette .they need to test the 08 coupe for a top speed run .viper imo is just purely the american top sports car,dont get me wrong vette are great cars have had many of them but for 90k or less you get a hell of alot more car than the 120k and up zr1.

I read that same RAG and thought "where's the viper" I even flipped throught the pages several times thinking I had a few pages stuck together and missed it.

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard of a guy running 190 on the way to SEMA and he said that at 190 it was still pulling hard, but was coming up on traffic so had to back out of it. There are just so few of places to accomplish the task. It does take some real estate to do so. He also said that it did take a lot less time than the same run in his previous '06.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard of a guy running 190 on the way to SEMA and he said that at 190 it was still pulling hard, but was coming up on traffic so had to back out of it. There are just so few of places to accomplish the task. It does take some real estate to do so. He also said that it did take a lot less time than the same run in his previous '06.

Wonder how it felt at that speed...Also since the ACR was released there was only one article that used the reg coupe in a comparo. I think it was "Evil Twins" or something like that wehre they tested normal cars with there hipo siblings. Gallardo/SL, 911 Turbo/GT3, Viper/ACR.....I believe both the Vipers took top honors amongst the twins for performance.

The SRT10 coupe is a forgotten car. I want to see a head to head comparo with the ZR1/Z06 vs the SRT Coupe/ACR. Dragstrip and roadcourse....

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had my 08 vert up to 170 and felt very stable and of course on a closed track,the mags can test them they have on other cars but not on the 08 viper

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since a writer was killed a few years back mags in general try to avoid this type of test.(notice a few years ago there were MANY more top speed test by a few different publications.)

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that it was very stable at speed. Felt like 120 with a bit more wind noise.
It was actually smoother than the ride in the '06. Although the trip was shorter, I think the suspension and tire changes for '08 help to smooth it out at speed. I wonder if the hood revision makes any more down force than the '06 hood? I don't know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery