wide tires for the street

hemi al

Enthusiast
Reaction score
please recommend the widest rear tire that will fit in the stock wheel well. also recommend the best choice for high performance rear tire. thanks, al

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're planning on mounting these on stock rims (17 or 18), then you'll be very limited in your choice of wider than stock tires, especially street tires.

OP
OP
H

hemi al

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi. primarily drag racing. rather high hp. with nitrous. thanks, al

OP
OP
H

hemi al

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi. i did a great deal of motor work. saw the best results from porting the intake manifold. went up two sizes in injectors. also saw some gains by replacing the exhaust system with stainless headers and all stainless components including the 3.5 diameter tubing. have not used the nitrous yet. plan to begin with 25hp pill and the nitrous express computer to establish traction issues. unfortunately, the weight distribution of the viper is poor at best. not sure how to improve this issue without major work.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run a 26.8 diameter tire with a section width of 13.8 and a tread width of 13.5 with no issues on a non lowered car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperpics_014.jpg

Kumho V710
Pretty much the only tire that meets my criteria that's currently available for an 18" Viper rim.
It's the only comp DOT tire I know that doesn't say for COMPETITION USE ONLY on the side wall, has proper speed rated construction. Meaning its not a light weight tire like the Hoosiers which do not have the puncture resistance of a street tire. It's also as good of a compromise as your going to get on the street for a car that you want to hook off the line as well as handle the twisties.

I had Sport Cups and liked them, but seriously they aren't even close, Pirelli's are expensive and a joke for a high HP car. Those tires are a great all around tire,but have no business on a car with a big unit on it. Great way to end up as a statistic.

I looked around for M/T's drag radials for you, but they don't make a proper size for a 17" Viper rim. You can get the V710 in a 335/35-17 if that works for you, I have additional gearing so I balanced it out with a taller tire. It seems that there is a better selection of tires in the 18" size than 17".

Just remember these tires will only last so long and so many heat cycles. In the wet they'll kill you, but if you have HP and want the car to handle like a slot car, and do a good job of hooking up they are the ticket.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Tire rack shows a Hoosier DOT Drag radial in your size as well, just not sure about what tire you could balance it out with up front. Someone has probably used them. Just boils down to your ultimate use and preference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang