Will the cold make my snake shed?

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is more of a question for people in the cold climates but maybe someone with a knowledge of fiberglass or body repair can help too.
I noticed that a lot of owners put their snake in hibernation over the winter. Either letting them sit or starting them up occasionally.
This is my first winter with mine and today I went for a drive in 13 degree weather. I was enjoying the ride but then started to think that the brutal cold temperatures might not be too good for the hood and body. I am thinking that the fiberglass or paint might be less flexible and prone to cracking. Does anyone know if there is a certain temperature that may be detrimental to driving the viper?
Hope I am worried about nothing or am I going to have a car that looks like Charlottes Web with spider cracks come springtime? I want to go for another drive tomorrow(trying to take advantage of salt free roads)but may reconsider if it is unadvisable. Another real cold day tomorrow.
Thanks for any info

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven in 20+ degree weather with no problems. You will have to ask a non-southern boy to get the real scoop.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive all the time whatever the temperature is. In the matter of fact, it's supposed to be 1 (ONE!!)tonight.
I will take the snake out first thing tomorrow, its sunny and nice, no salt either. Michelins are not gonna like the temperature though, as long as you remember that, its OK.
Viper is in a warm garage, so start up is no problem.

Heck, I even put more water in the swimming pool for the kids to iceskate tomorrow!!! No swimming, unless I'll get the chainsaw....

Lauri

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is cold as a coal miners ass out here lately. Really making me think about a remote starter.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It got pretty cold here this week. I drove 2 times in the cold. The biggest problem I had was in shifting. I understand that no matter how long the motor warms up, the transmission will only warm up by movement.

The tires do get a little hard in the cold weather.

The fun though is that there is a little added power due to the colder air having a little more of a charge to it.

Best I can tell with the car being 5 years old and going through 5 of the the closest thing Texas has to a winter there have been no problems with either the paint or with shaking.

OP
OP
F

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to worry, even the old corvettes from the 50s and 60s have not had this happen. A composite car should be MORE flexible than a metal one if you think about it.
Thanks Lee....that makes sense to me. I did see a couple corvettes out today also.
RedEnuf(Lauri) ..Glad to hear you drive in cold temps. too....I was beginning to think I was the only one. Thought I was doing something wrong. other than the tires feeling like the treads have 6 coats of wax on them the motor loves this cold air.....it is so responsive.
Hope the kids enjoyed the iceskating!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS