Wolfgang Bernhard has left the building

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh oh! Seems like the talent pool of car guys is dwindling fast over at Chrysler now that Cerebus has installed a hatchet man at the helm. What this means for the Viper nation and Chrysler in general is anybody's guess:(

From CNN business-
"Now comes Nardelli, brandishing his Six Sigma credentials and his GE by-the-books training. His mere arrival has already forced the exit of several talented car guys. Wolfgang Bernhard, a former Chrysler and Mercedes executive, has left the building. Considered a sure thing to become Chrysler's new chairman, he's declared that family considerations prevent him from taking the job. Eric Ridenour, Chrysler's young and up-and-coming chief operating officer, has also bolted. Tom LaSorda, the popular president, took a demotion to stay with the company, but the chances of the easygoing LaSorda coexisting with the hard-charging Nardelli are slim to none"

Last edited:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my take: Wolfgang was offered the job that Nardelli took. Wolfgang declined it but will provide car guy advice as vice chairman. LaSorda will continue with future vision, product direction, etc. As stated in the news, the COO position of Eric Ridenour will not be replaced, that's Nardelli. He will clean house as needed and deal with the UAW.

Hopefully, Wolfgang and LaSorda will be strong enough to continue the Viper.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoops, that's a mistake... Yeah, that's what we need a six sigma blackbelt geek.

Nardelli is a Jack Welch disciple and will consult his GE Six Sigma black belt how-to guide with every decision he makes. He's a brutal SOB and this is just the beginning of his tree-shaking at Chrysler. You'll seen see a hoard of GE and Home Depot graduate lemmings follow Nardelli to Chrysler. Heck...I heard he already tapped a Home Depot window display designer to take over design at Chrysler as part of his low-cost strategy.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my take: Wolfgang was offered the job that Nardelli took. Wolfgang declined it but will provide car guy advice as vice chairman. LaSorda will continue with future vision, product direction, etc. As stated in the news, the COO position of Eric Ridenour will not be replaced, that's Nardelli. He will clean house as needed and deal with the UAW.

Hopefully, Wolfgang and LaSorda will be strong enough to continue the Viper.

What I read elsewhere is that Wolfgang has a non-compete clause in his exit deal with VW that bars him from taking such a position with a competitor for 2 years from the date of his departure from VW (1/2007). That's why he was not named CEO of Chrysler. Hopefully, he'll stick around as a consultant.

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nardelli is a bottom line kind of guy. He is there to do the dirty work of cutting jobs and contracts. He will only be around for a couple of years....he is the hatchet guy...there is always one in these types of buyouts.

Plan = Cut jobs + Cut benefits + Cut R&D + Slick Marketing = Larger return on equity when they go public in 3 to 5 years.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Some interesting facts about Bob Nardelli.

He owns a silver Prowler.

He learned how to drive in a DeSoto.

Being with Home Depot, he know about racing.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait....I'm confused. First Chrysler "merges" with Daimler and most of the creative thinkers bolt (or get dumped). Then they manage to emasculate the remaining team and demoralize them. Now comes Cerberus with a clear indication that they will put accounting and cost issues ahead of product decisions and customer desires. I hear the next step is to rename the company....GM. It sure is a recipe for success. Maybe Bob Lutz will get confused and show up to work in Auburn Hills....wishful thinking!:dunno:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait....I'm confused. First Chrysler "merges" with Daimler and most of the creative thinkers bolt (or get dumped). Then they manage to emasculate the remaining team and demoralize them. Now comes Cerberus with a clear indication that they will put accounting and cost issues ahead of product decisions and customer desires. I hear the next step is to rename the company....GM. It sure is a recipe for success. Maybe Bob Lutz will get confused and show up to work in Auburn Hills....wishful thinking!:dunno:

Now THAT was a great post.. I guess that's one way to get creative guyus back, trick em!