World Challenge GT race from Laguna Seca....

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a reminder the World Challenge GT race from Laguna Seca is on tv tomorrow (Sat. 9/20) at 3pm est., noon pst on SPEED TV. This is the race were the Viper Comp Coupe of Paul Mumford spanks all the factory teams, it was a real exciting race to watch.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*******??? Why didn't I think of that? Tracy, come on down and we'll go watch the race together. I even have a spare Viper for you to drive. :)

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great race, great to see the viper win! Mcann sure got beat up on in the end tho, those guys aren't fooling around out there! TO bad he couldn't hold it in for 3rd.

It will be interesting to follow then next two races, how much penalty weight is the viper going to get?

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracy,

If I get it taped, I will send you a copy if you did not watch it.

Jerry Dobson

Tracy I taped it, you can come over to my house to watch it :D

BTW, I'm a little ticked on PMUM's coverage and SPEED mis-spelling Erik Messel(ey)'s name

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a great race...Mumford holding his ground as Pobst made that risky outside attempt into turn one was GREAT racing.

Yeah the end was a real nailbiter there for that last podium spot. Man - all that bumper kissing would have gotten me pretty hot...especially when the BMWs were probably getting reports over the radio that Mcann's rear tires were going away. Cutthroat!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to watch it at a bar but I would've preferred to watch it at home. Looked great from what I saw. Mumford and Pobst into the turn was great.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kick but race, Very cool to see the Viper get a win.

Thanks for the reminder. Had about 8 or so of my vette buddy's over to watch it. Brutal wreck midway in the race, to bad it took out the other vipers.

Totally awesome paint scheme on PNUM's Comp Coupe as well.

Ed

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to ask Paul about that -

Have they discussed ballast after that race for the CC? I know the M3s were carrying weight...seems to be a pretty regular occurrence in many series.

Instead of the responsibility of picking up the pace falling on the shoulders of the slower teams/cars, the fastest have to be harnessed to make things competitive.

I understand the reasons fully, I've just never liked them.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they didnt add weight there would be runaways. The whole idea is to keep the competiton even, like nascar. With a non spec engine size & different car drivetrain layouts , weight is the only way to equalize.

DG Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When do they re-air it?

It looks like they aren't going to??? I just checked their listings... and it looks like they don't have it scheduled to re-air. I hope I am wrong... because I MISSED IT!!!

The one weekend I don't go on the board... and this is what it gets me!!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great race, TIVO caught it for me. Can't imagine living without that little black box. The yellow Viper lost it's rear tires SOOO bad he fought hard to just keep it on the track. Great driving.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Relative to ballast, SCCA has a min. weight for all cars, but as you do well, you receive "REWARDS" weight (40lbs for a win, 30 lbs for second, 10lbs for third). This weight is listed on the right front of everybody's windshield. Hence, Paul will be +60lbs at Atlanta. If you finish out of the top four, then weight can come off (see http://www.speedvisionwc.com/seriesfacts.html).

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,

Do they also use restrictor plates for the Vipers or is it all weight? I think it's funny that they change the weight based on performance at one track when going to another venue. I would think that some tracks (such as Road America) would reward horsepower more than handling, and the next track might be just the opposite. It's also hard to argue with AWD for the starts.

It was very nice to meet you in person at Putnam Park - I've always enjoyed your posts/press releases/race reports.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not to be a Wise Acre ( old Kneebrasky country way to say what I really mean in a nice vernacular ) , but did I miss something on the weight,as I thought Paul was only going to have to carry 50 lbs ( 40 for win, and 10 for third = 50 )? I am just asking ,as I thought that was his full penalty from the beginning race, but I am wrong plenty of the time, so help me out here.

PS -No offense given to Rich , cuz he is a nice guy, and I just wantz ta know da truth.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When do they re-air it?

Manny, I taped it, when's your next track day, I'll bring you a copy.

My next track day is next Thursday and Saturday in Las Vegas. Then the following week (October 8th) at Willow Springs.

Damn, I have TWO Tivo's at home that record all kinds of stuff, but I forgot to program this in before I left on vacation. Yes... 2 Tivo's -- one for the Family room and one for the bedroom. I would rather keep my Tivo than my cell phone -- it's that good.

Manny

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny I'll be at WSIR on the 8th, EMAIL me the day before to remind me and I'll bring a copy for you, or else I'll forget.

Herr Pemberton, PMUM got +60, 40 for the win, 20 for 3rd at RA. If they think the car is too fast they can add more weight, when the BMWs finished 1,2,3 & 4 at Sears Point they added 150 lbs. per car. Maybe it was a good thing for PMUM that Mike got punted off the track.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Wise Acre:
I screwed up and typed 10 lbs for 3rd, when in fact it's 20lbs. At least I knew the total...

Sonny:
They will use restrictor plates, but that's a competition adjustment for all cars of a given make, whereas Paul's added weight is just for him because of his personal success. SCCA usually does not make a competetion adjustment based on just one or two races, but if Paul wins at RA, I'd be willing to bet you'll see the min. weight go up for all VIpers (irrespective of REWARDS weight that will still have to be carried) and/or an inlet restriction (which we always used to have ...). Right now, the CC is a bit of a mystery to them.

Thanks for the kind words. We really tried hard to keep the VCA aware of what we (Bobby Archer and ViperSpeed) were doing in WCGT and SCCA T1 in hopes of spurring more interest in Viper racing. It was truly a pleasure to finally meet you, your team and your family at Putnam, and to watch you win the VRL race. Good luck at Lime Rock - I hope to see you at the Motorsport Ranch!

Rich

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know too much about this adding weight penalty thing, but as stated, the BMW's had to add 150 lbs. for their 1,2,3,4 finish; the Vipers received 50 lbs. for 1,3 finish. OK, now let's say BMW places 1,2,3,4 again and receives an additional 150 lbs. (now 300lbs.), so the Vipers win again and must add 40+ lbs. How long does this go on ?? Until all the cars are sleds and require an additional unknown amount of horse power to get around the track.
Later,

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don:

This can get a little confusing as to which weight we are talking about, but I believe the 150lbs added to the BMW's was a competition adjustment added to all BMW's. The Viper has yet to receive a competition adjustment (except for a 100 lb penalty for running ABS that all of the various cars get if they run ABS). Mumford is the only Viper carrying REWARDS weight. There is a maximum of REWARDS weight you can get hit with if you keep finishing up front. Unfortunately I don't know the exact number, but it's a percentage of total car weight and is around 120-150lbs.

The system may sound odd, but it can work. The problem we always faced (WCGT '98-'00) was we never felt that the Viper was the best car out there, yet we were unfairly penalized with weight, inlet restrictors, and small tires because Bobby Archer was such a good driver. All in all, SCCA does a pretty good job equalizing cars, although they did make a mistake with a competition adjustment earlier in the year...

Rich