Would Gen 1 or 2 gauges work with Gen 3 Engine and Computer?

Big Jimbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am putting a Gen 3 engine in an old Plymouth and need a set of gauges. I have seen some used Gen 2 gauges on Ebay and was wondering if they would work with my Gen 3 engine and computer. Thanks for any help!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
nope, the Gen-3 and gen 1/2 type gauge systems are totally different. The Gen-1/2 are analog gauges with direct connection sending units. The Gen-3 gauges on the other hand, have the sending units send signals to the PCM, witch in turn communicates the signals with the gauge cluster computer via a digital bus. The cluster computer then directly controls the gauges.

OP
OP
B

Big Jimbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. Do you know if it would it be very difficult to hook up a direct oil pressure gauge and Tachometer?

OP
OP
B

Big Jimbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, sorry I wasn't clearer with my question. I am installing a 2004 Ram Viper engine and transmission in a 1959 Plymouth. The engine is complete with all accessories, sensors, and wiring intact. I have all of the wiring from under the hood including the computer and fuse-box module. The speed sensor was in the differential so I don't have that.
I am now trying to figure out what gauges would work for the car. The main gauges I am concerned about are the tach, oil pressure, and temp. From what I can figure out from the wiring diagrams, the computer needs input from all the engine sensors to operate the engine correctly, so I should be OK there, then there are computer output wires that go to the gauges.
Do I need factory gauges to make the computer/engine work correctly?
Are there any after-market gauges that I could use, or would that mess things up?
I really appreciate your help with this. I haven't been able to find any local people who know much about this.
Jim

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, the PCM should not care if it is connected to the Bus or not, as far as I am aware, it only transmits, not recieves signals (I cant think of any reason it would need to...? I could be wrong on this.

Assuming the above, any new gauges could be ADDED, as long as the OEM sensors are still feeding the PCM. On the same token, running an OEM gauge pod in that app would be damn near impossible, as the bus network would only function correctly if it saw all of the other controllers on the network- which I am sure you do not have or need provisions for.

OP
OP
B

Big Jimbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That seems to make sense. What I think I will do is hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and try to get it started. If it seems to run OK I will go with the analog gauges. If possible I would like to just use the Viper harness for the engine and use the original Plymouth wiring for everything else.
Thanks for your help Dan!