WOW 1st Corvette sells for MUCH more than 1st Gen 5 Viper!

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette has been around for 50 years and its historical significance is established in many ways, not the least of which is its racing pedigree (which far outweighs the Viper). The number of Vette museums should make it clear. Who knows if the Viper will be around in 50 years? That is the beauty of Ferrari, Mercedes, etc...they have historical significance. The Viper is till the younger cousin...which may or may not be a flash in the pan. If the Viper lasts 50 years, then maybe it will rise to this level of support. This is also just the 7th redo of the Vette in 50 years, just the 7th #1 Vette ever built. Viper is on Gen 5 in under 20 yrs. That also plays in the 'collectibility' factors..not to mention a #1 of the most popular car of all time has got to be a major factor. In the world of collecting, think of a #1 Superman comic versus a #1 Green Lantern. Green Lantern might be a better comic, but demand is for the popular item. Just my 2c.

As a owner of a 03 Viper, 08 Zo6 and 02 convertible you are spot on. I love Vipers and Corvettes!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A customer of mine stopped in Friday, just got back from the auction (he's an older retired guy with nothing to do) He just went as a spectator. -something about his bucket list. Anyway, he described the organization as, "they sure know how to make money".

A local went on Friday. I believe he went with 4 others? Anyways, the first ticket was $450, each additional ticket in his party were $100. This was to get in the door, bid etc. I would have to agree they know how to make money.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is amazing what they get for some of these "charity" cars.

I hate to say it but the C7 is going to give the new Viper a run for its money. Is the Viper a better car, heck ya, but they both look very similar and with the Viper being double the money what do you think the "average" buyer is going to do. That said, the Viper will be 5 times the car but the number of people that have 6 figures to buy a sports car are dwindling in this economy.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chevy sells as many Vettes in one year as the Viper has sold over the last 20. There should be no surprise that the Corvette would bring more money, as there are more owners ,etc. The one error that SRT may not have foreseen is that the Orange County Auction was singing it's death knell. The Auction is now over and will be replaced by Reno, as the turnout was not in the range of the other BJ Auctions. Most of the cars, including Stryker, went for low figures there, hence the event was dropped from the calendar.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so confused why everyone on here cares so much about the success/popularity of the Corvette when compared to the Viper. I bought a Viper because I love the heritage and because it is MY CAR and I picked it over a C6Z or ZR1 or any other comparably priced sports car. Do we owners really need the masses to appreciate the Viper over the Corvette in order to be satisfied!? I personally enjoy having a car not everyone appreciates. It makes them special. Let the sheep be sheep.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so confused why everyone on here cares so much about the success/popularity of the Corvette when compared to the Viper. I bought a Viper because I love the heritage and because it is MY CAR and I picked it over a C6Z or ZR1 or any other comparably priced sports car. Do we owners really need the masses to appreciate the Viper over the Corvette in order to be satisfied!? I personally enjoy having a car not everyone appreciates. It makes them special. Let the sheep be sheep.

It's insecurity, this site has been full of it ever since the Gen V landed.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guesses:
Corvette has a much larger fan base already, which spans several generations.
Since this Vette is a Stingray, named after one of the most-beloved Vettes in history, there's an extra bit of nostalgia that goes along with it.
Some people have way too much money, and can't properly estimate the value of things costing less than a billion dollars (wish I had that problem).
If you're going to write off something for a charity donation, You might as well get something for it, and it might as well be the first of a model produced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang