yellowing sills

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that this subject came up before,(I did a search in the archives),but I need some help here.

I have a black 2000 GTS with 6000 miles and the dreaded "Free color change" is starting on the sills.
Did any of you guys that had/has the same problems got DC to REPLACE,not repaint the sills?

If so will you mind to tell me how you did it and E-mail me with more infos.

Thanks.

Luc. [email protected]

Reaction score
Why do you expect DC to replace the side sills? Paint the inside with VHT1500 and make sure the Cat is located properly and be happy. Replacing the sills only will not fix the problem. I know the problem as I have had it on a white GTS and a Silver GTS. Both were painted with VHT1500 on the inside with no more yellowing. When the sills are off it is a good time to install high flow cats. They also lower sill temperature.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred:
I have the same problem with the side sills.
Could you provide us with the brandname, manufacturer and other specifications of VHT1500 ?
I will try to get the paint her in Germany/Europe.
Thanks!
Markus

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luc,
I've got a white 96 R/T and had the yellowing become a problem with less than 10K. I took it to the dealer and they put in new heat shielding and repainted the sills. Now with about 14K, no problems...yet. We'll see. I think Fred is correct about using the VHT as I had that done as well.

I'll be putting on a new exhaust and hi-flow cats this summer to further assist in getting the heat out...Yeah, that's why I need the exhaust, it helps get the heat out...Yeah, that's the ticket
smile.gif

Good luck,

Dave

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reasons to want new sills and not repaint mine are because i don't want to be without my car but more important is that I don't trust them to do a good job on the paint,especially with black.
Are they going to drill out the rivets for the plastic end parts or tape it?
Are they going to sand blast the sills to bare metal or not?
I don't know about you but I never saw a body shop in my area doing as good a paint job than the factory.
I have 5 black cars/trucks ans I have been through that before.

I know that i will have to paint the inside with high temp paint.

Anyways, i am going to pressure them to put new sills on.

Luc.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also looked at the site, and was wondering what preparations should be done in order to paint the insides of the sills?

Reaction score
The inside of my sills were painted (both sides turned yellow at 2k miles on my GT2) with the VHT 1500 paint. The exterior was also done (obvious to most). Heat shields and cats were put in their proper location and no more yellowing. As for new sills they come from the factory unpainted so sill-prep and paint matching, painting, etc. are still required. My sills have no rivets, only sheet metal fasteners. My sills were painted my good body shops (not Neon paint booths). There is a local body shop that paints only high end rides and custom cars. A friend (his car won First ant the Oakland Hot Rod Show) introduced me to this shop. They do a better job than any factory.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my sills yellowed on my '00 Gray, I had them replaced under warranty. Supposidely, the new sills have a better heat shielding than the ones I originally had (according to my Viper Tech). That was around 2K miles ago. No problems since. I have not done the VHT 1500 painting (yet) but plan on getting some high flow cats (as well as other goodies) within the next few months.

-Will

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my side sills repainted in Switzerland under warranty. They could not find the VHT paint in Geneva so they contacted Dupont who provided a high temperature primer that they sprayed inside and out. They then put the Silver coat which was also a special high temperature (800 degC)paint and then the clear coat. So far so good after 4 months.

As I am vacationing in Canada, I do not have all the details. If you are interested in more details, please send me an e-mail and I will contact you next week when I am back in Switzerland.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine replaced by Chuck Tator at Tator Dodge in South Salem, NY. No problem, quick service. There is NO REASON why anyone should have to put up with it. "Get it painted and be Happy"; did someone say that? You have got to be kidding! Turns out that the insulation inside the sill was torn from poor assembly and the heat was going straight to the sills. Don't stand for a re-paint job on the outside. The sill has to come off and you deserve to have it replaced!

Andrew

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator NOW!!! (914) 763 3136. He would be the best to advise you, he has helped a bunch of guys and has the paperwork to prove it. I could send you a copy of mine, but calling Chuck would be best.

Andrew