Should I walk?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If everyone is that paranoid, just have an attorney hold funds in escrow. The broker should work with one regularly.

I WOULD NOT wire money. You should have been able to drive the car if you were serious.

As long as the bank check cannot have a stop payment put on it, his concerns are invalid. Bank check seems perfectly reasonable to me. We're selling our 1996 GTS this monday and that's how we'll be completing the transaction.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
escrow account managed by a attorney works the best in these cases.

If he refuses doing that...walk away from the deal and find another Viper.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been fake cashiers checks used.
There has been counter fit bills used.
If he can go to the bank (yours) with you and have the cashiers check made out with him as a witness to this being done he should not have any concerns.
You on the other hand should know if there is a lean on the car that needs to be paid. You can insist on two cashiers checks one to him and on to the lean holder.
Good Luck.
Dan

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has no risk. If your check bounces or is fake he can just call his insurance company and say his car has been stolen. But if you pay him upfront whats your recourse.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Craig.

Meet at the bank with cashier's check in hand. They will verify the check, and you will get the title. People at bank can witness the transaction. No problem. I'm sure a notary could witness the transaction as well...

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It takes two people to buy a car or anything else for that matter.
A buyer and seller. It doesn't sound like this guy really wants to sell the car. I'd make my offer on how I'm going to pay for it. If thats not acceptable to the seller walk.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know if I would break the deal over this. When I bought my car I went through the same thing. I was not getting the car from him until he had verified funds in his account. We both had accounts at Wells Fargo so, we met at his bank, an account manager transferred the funds from my account, securing the funds at that instant, and transferred them to his account and the deal was completed, and I then took possession of the car. What you really have to worry about is if the individual is really the registered owner, and if the title is clear of any liens. I did not feel uncomfortable, because I had gotten to know this individual, I had checked out the car, I knew where he lived, I knew where he worked, I knew where he banked, and I knew he was a long time resident of the community. So the guy wanted his money first, well it was his car and it was the one I wanted and it was not across the country, and if I wanted the car this was the deal, and since he owned the car he got to set rules. If I sell the car I have, I will probably do the same thing.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get out! Pass on this car. The seller should have let you drive it. Another question I've got to ask here is: With all the hassles you're having in closing this deal, what is this broker doing for you, besides, of course, taking his cut off the top? Is he standing behind this sale? Will he give you your money back if you buy the car, finally get to drive it, and you're not satisfied? I doubt it.

Dump this car and your broker. Find another car and deal directly with the seller. You'll save money, and you surely can't have any more problems consummating the deal than you've had on this broker-engineered one! The Classifieds on this board are a good place to start.

Good luck!

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they won't take cash, something is wrong in Clarksville :confused: There are plenty of Vipers. Tell the broker to put it where the sun don't shine. You don't need a broker!! :mad:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Don't walk away ... RUN away!

Like was already posted, he has insurance against theft, you do not.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd pass on this one. They have a problem accepting cash, and a cashiers check????? You "rode" in it???? Plenty of Vipers out there. Absolutley no need for a broker. It may take a little time, but find one on your own.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Scr*w the broker, he is just dead weight.

The seller's bank could easily call the buyer's bank from which the cashier's check came from, to "verify issuance". The sellers bank should be able to ascertain the validity of the cashier's check that way. This ain't rocket science, its just standard procedure!

Anyway, unless you REALLY REALLY want ONLY this car, I'd say its not worth the hassle you are going through anyway. He should'a let you drive it, at least conservatively. That doesn't pass the smell test, nor stand up to the light of day. PASS!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If they won't take cash, something is wrong in Clarksville :confused: There are plenty of Vipers. Tell the broker to put it where the sun don't shine. You don't need a broker!! :mad:

Cash is a bad idea for both parties. Thanks to Bushys new "Homeland Big Brother" you have to explain to the IRS the purpose of moving that kind of hard currency (anything over $10k.) Its an old concept, but now you *could* be a teroroist if you do it.

Cashiers checks are CASH. Being a paranoid person I can repect not trusting a slip of paper, but this sounds too fishy. There are literally hundreds of great deals popping up all over. Step away from this one and move on.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I brought a certified check, took the keys and signed off ownership back to my hotel, seller kept the car in the garage.

He deposited the money the next day, confirmed with his banker the definition of certified, and I took my car....

Worked well for me, having been to the seller's house, company, and met his family and neighbours. Had a positive vibe from the deal and took it, flawless.

That the deal was 3000 miles away, in the winter, and involved border crossings at both ends for transporting is another story, but the deal was clean.

And no, he wouldn't let me drive it, but he did let me put $30 bucks of gas in it as it was near empty!!haha.....

oh yeah, this topic was your 13th post, keep that in mind. :shocked:

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This deal stinks - really stinks

It's the old deal - Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....it's a duck

You're instinct alone tells you something is not right...that's why you went public - thrust your instinct - WALK

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told you to kick the "broker" in the keester a long time ago! Your deal is OK, but nothing spectacular. I talked to Bill at Woodhouse Dodge last week. He has a similar car, similar milage, similar price, less hassle! Lots of people here have had great things to say about him. Give him a call! You'll probably have a flawless transaction and a new Viper! Oh, he wants to sell his car, I'm not sure your guy really does. lol

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Cool, Ryan. I'm glad the tide is turning.

See what happens when you hold out a bit? :D

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder about the "won't let the buyer drive" thing. I guess that there would be a fairly high chance of someone spinning the car or something on a test drive even if the owner is sitting right there. I mean the buyer is probably going to punch it at some point. Under full power, this car doesn't act like other cars the average guy would drive. How he reacts, should the rear end break loose, could put the car into a curb or worse.
I sure wouldn't let just anyone drive my RT, it's just too easy for it to do what I said above. If I was selling the car, I'd probably have to evaluate any potential buyers and decide if they are going to get to drive at all. I would never let anyone take the car out without me in it.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A test drive will always make a seller nervous. Obviously as a seller you want to make sure you're dealing with a serious buyer, and not a looker who wants an opportunity to flog a Viper. Once you've cleared that hurdle, I recommend you do the test drive in two phases. Phase I -- you (seller) drive and demonstrate the performance aspects of the car: acceleration, braking, handling etc. Phase II -- You let the buyer drive the car with you in passenger seat. Prior to the drive, you explain that the purpose of this drive is for the buyer to get the feel of the car, ie seating position, inputs, how the car tracks etc. Buyer is not allowed to flog the car; since you've already demonstrated how the car performs, there's no need for him to test that. Regardless, warn about sudden throttle inputs, especially if the wheels aren't pointed straight ahead.

A mature buyer will agree to and follow the Phase II rules. If you don't feel that you can trust the buyer to follow the rules, proceed to Phase II at your own risk.

I have let many people -- even some strangers -- drive my Viper following the above procedure and have had no problems.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan remember you have the upper hand. The Viper market is hurting and that is not a "give away" price (good, but not a give away). Stick to your guns, I am sure they will come to their senses if they really want to make the deal work.

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cash is a bad idea for both parties. Thanks to Bushys new "Homeland Big Brother" you have to explain to the IRS the purpose of moving that kind of hard currency (anything over $10k.) Its an old concept, but now you *could* be a teroroist if you do it.

Thanks to the Bushies? Get real. I have moved alot more than that with no issues, no problems. Who could do business if it was an issue evertime we moved 50k around. Blame the terrorists.

As far as the car...walk away. Guy is too paranoid.

Ron

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cashiers checks are CASH. Being a paranoid person I can repect not trusting a slip of paper, but this sounds too fishy. There are literally hundreds of great deals popping up all over. Step away from this one and move on.

Having to explain to the IRS when you move anything over $10,000 cash has been a law for a long time. It doesn't have anything to do with "Homeland big brother" or Bush for that matter. Anytime you deposit more than $10,000 cash the bank will make you fill out an IRS form.
I'd tell the seller to accept the terms or forget about it.

OP
OP
S

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said Bonkers:

Thanks to Bushys new "Homeland Big Brother" you have to explain to the IRS the purpose of moving that kind of hard currency (anything over $10k.) Its an old concept, but now you *could* be a teroroist if you do it.

Bonk...You can be a complete and total Liberal Pu$$y...but at least show the respect our President deserves...You may call him Mr. President...

BACK ON TOPIC: So you're drivin her home Saturday...Glad you worked it out...You're a bigger man than me...Dunno if I could have hung in there! Let's see some pics Saturday night!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960