0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slightly off topic but is the gen 3 rear diff really THAT weak????????????
As you can see there have been quite a few improvements to it in the later models. I never broke my diff but, it's gripping power to both wheels had a lot to be desired.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once I was practicing my launch technique on a deserted back road in my 08 and was often getting lots of wheelspin.
So I tried a launch in second gear.....Revved it up, dropped the clutch hard and...Holy*&% I could see a ton of smoke in the rearview mirror and then smoke started coming inside the car through the trans tunnel, with some bad smell. I then figured out I was probably toasting the clutch or something.....never tried that again and the car is still fine.

Lol. Yeah that was your stock clutch being toasted, but better than something else being toasted. Dropping in 2nd gear or even 3rd gear with the RPMS high would produce a TON of stress on the drivetrain. If the clutch was a racing clutch and it actually grabbed... something else would of snapped in the tranny probabely.

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. Yeah that was your stock clutch being toasted, but better than something else being toasted. Dropping in 2nd gear or even 3rd gear with the RPMS high would produce a TON of stress on the drivetrain. If the clutch was a racing clutch and it actually grabbed... something else would of snapped in the tranny probabely.

+1

Dumping the clutch in 2nd gear is a BAD idea. My GTS did slip the clutch for a short period on the launch after it had gotten hot from several runs in a row. From now on, I'll be giving plenty of cooldown time between runs. With that said, these clutches can take a lot of abuse before they don't hold anymore. You want the clutch there as a fuse, otherwise you'll probably twist off the input shaft of the trans or break something else.