02 GTS door opening weatherstrip

reddog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has someone out there replaced the door opening weatherstripping? My question is do you have to remove the A&B piller covers and drop the headliner? The service manual doesn't say anything except pull the seal out of the retaining channel and push the new in. Like to know exactly what I'll be up against before I pull out the old seal? Any help is appreciated...thanks

paulko

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did my 2001 GTS driver's door weather strip about a year ago. The whole job took about 20 minutes from start to finish . You don't have to remove anything except the Christmas tree fastener at the base of the windshield. Just pull the fastener out and pull the old weather strip off the flange and out of the retainer channel at the top. Push the fastener in the new weather strip back into place at the base of the windshield and press the new weather strip over the flange down the A piller, across the bottom, and up the B piller. Work your way along the top of the weather strip, pushing it into the channel at the top of the door opening with smooth stick. That's all there is to it. You don't even need weather strip adhesive.

OP
OP
R

reddog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, appreciate it.... was concerned that either I was missing somethjing or the manual left something out

OP
OP
R

reddog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, do you recall if after you installed the new weatherstrip was the door easy to close? Mine has to be slammed? Thinking maybe needs time to take a set?

paulko

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, mine is a little harder to shut because the forward portion of the weather strip was a little thicker than the old one and the old one was compressed for many years before I changed it. I guess the new one just needs time to take a set where it's compressed between the door and the pillar below the corner of the windshield. It was never hard to close just enough to notice the difference. I can see where it is being compressed more than the old one on the passenger side. It's now been over a year since I changed it so I hardly notice the difference. Either it's taking a set or I'm just getting used to it.
By the way make sure the door isn't hard to close because the carpet on the bottom of the door is rubbing on the weather strip. If it is you'll have to readjust the door. There have been many posts on ways to readjust a sagging door.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reddog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same issue where the index pins are it seems a lot thicker and kinda not exactly lined up, I already adjusted the door and panel with the old seal because of the problem that wore the hole. In addition the new seal has a kink from packaging that falls right in the area where the seal starts down the A pulled so I pulled back out most of the top and trying to unset the kink I might see if I can get the pins out without damage and see if I can somehow clamp that area to compress the thickness...... we'll see? Thanks for the info... knowing the issue sure helps

paulko

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My weather strip had a slight kink in the same spot. It seems to be slowly disappearing until now it's almost gone. It's really not enough to worry about. The chances are if you try to remove the fasteners you're going to bugger them up because they hold pretty tightly. And I don't think it will help anyway. Leave well enough alone and enjoy the car.

blown daytona

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem with mine, harder to close with the new weatherstrip. Also had a slight kink where the A meets the roof. Then I noticed that the passenger side has the same kink and it is the original.

blown daytona

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from the dealer, because I own a shop and spend lots of $$$ with them, they gave it to me at a deep discount. Wasnt aware of mopar parts overstock, thats a really good price

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456