03 Pricing Annouced Today

Wellons1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Press Release
SOURCE: Chrysler Group
Pricing Announced for 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10
*Ultimate American Sports Car to Hit Dodge Showrooms in October
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., July 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Chrysler Group today announced pricing for the all-new 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible. The 500 horsepower, 525 lb.-ft of torque, 505 cu. in. V-10 super car will carry a Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $79,995 (plus $800 destination) when it begins arriving in dealerships around the first of October, 2002.

Featuring more than 100 updates and improvements versus its predecessor, the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 has been sold out since January, months before the first cars begin arriving in dealerships. A choice of colors -- Viper red, silver or black -- is the only decision owners will need to make; there is no optional equipment on the car. Prices for 2002 models ranged from $71,725 for the RT-10 Roadster to $82,225 for the GTS ACR Coupe (not including $775 destination).

The 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 represents the third chapter in the vaunted history of the icon, following the original 1992 Viper RT/10 roadster and the 1996 Viper GTS coupe.

"With the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10, we've remained true to the original Viper mission," said Darryl Jackson, Vice President, Dodge Marketing. "We've created -- elevated, actually -- the ultimate American sports car. Dodge engineers have clearly improved and refined the Viper, all the while keeping its outrageous design and road presence -- its 'Viperness.'"

In developing the new Viper, Dodge engineers sought feedback from key constituencies -- particularly owners -- on what the 2003 version should be. The replies included more horsepower, bigger brakes, lighter weight, true convertible top operation, a dead pedal and greater interior comfort. The new Viper SRT-10 delivers all, and a lot more, preserving its true American sports car heritage along the way.

2003 DODGE VIPER SRT-10 TECHNICAL DETAILS

The 2003 SRT-10 retains Viper's front-engine, rear-wheel drive, two-seat layout. A true convertible model replaces roadster and coupe offerings. Its wheelbase has been lengthened 2.6 inches to accommodate convertible top stowage.

Dramatic styling cues include lowered hood lines, swept-back fenders and deep-cut side scallops, reminiscent of the original, yet giving the Viper a fresh look. Inside, from a race-derived, two-seat cockpit, the driver looks over a highly functional instrument panel with a center-mounted tachometer and a 220-mph speedometer. A traditional pushbutton starter refires old-time sports car memories.

The Viper V-10 engine retains the basic architecture of its predecessor, but otherwise it is virtually all new -- and more powerful than ever. A new bored and stroked engine block increases the Viper's displacement from 488 to 505 cu. in. and sends its power output to 500, with 525 lb.-ft. of torque -- 90 percent of which is delivered between 1500 and 5600 rpm.

Viper's four-wheel independent aluminum suspension has been revised to handling characteristics, and a new version of Viper's four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system is enhanced for world-class stopping performance. The new Viper rides on P275/35ZR18 front and P345/30ZR19 rear black sidewall Michelin zero pressure (ZP) tires, with low-pressure sensors in the valve stems.

Reduced weight -- along with increased power -- is one of the two most effective means by which a car's performance can be enhanced. Overall, the SRT-10 weighs approximately 100 pounds less than previous models. Numerous weight-saving measures were taken, including use of a one-piece magnesium front of dash, a cast magnesium instrument panel substructure, and aluminum bodied shock absorbers.

Performance targets for the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 include a 0-60 mph time of less than four seconds, an estimated top speed of 190 mph, 60-0 mph braking in less than 100 feet, 0-100-0 mph in about 13 seconds, and 1.15g lateral acceleration.

Engineered by Chrysler Group's Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO), the 2003 Viper is the first Dodge to carry the SRT (for Street and Racing Technology) badge. The Dodge SRT lineup will represent some of the most outrageous products ever developed by DaimlerChrysler, and SRT-branded vehicles will be the fastest cars in their segment. Additional SRT vehicles destined for production within the next calendar year include Dodge SRT-4 and the Dodge Ram SRT-10.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$79,995 is quite a disappointment. I thought a BIG part of the SRT philosophy was reduced cost.

I hope I can get a very good deal on mine - $83,795 is a HECK of a lot to pay for a Viper.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh come on, for years Chrsler has kept LOSING $$ on these cars.

$79,995 is CHEAP compared to the cars it will easily trounce, which usually are 100K+ Support for this car will ensure it's future, you want a bargain car, get a vette, any cheaper and you'd see more of them (which keeps Viper people out of vettes).

Besides if you're paying close to MSRP you're getting reamed anyhow.

You'd pay more than 9K to upgrade a current car to where the SRT will be.

But hey, who am I to talk? I'm just trying to keep it in perspective.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig 201 MPH:
$79,995 is CHEAP compared to the cars it will easily trounce, which usually are 100K+ Support for this car will ensure it's future, you want a bargain car, get a vette, any cheaper and you'd see more of them (which keeps Viper people out of vettes).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If performance is the measure, then the Viper is a bargain. However, a Viper will never have the built quality of a Porsche turbo, and it will never have the allure of a Ferrari. Granted, the Porsche is $25k more, and the Ferrari more still, but the Viper is far from a car most people can afford.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
You'd pay more than 9K to upgrade a current car to where the SRT will be.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you - however you would pay less than the difference in price to upgrade a Z06 to match the Viper... so by this metric, the Viper is OVER priced. Each car must be judged on it's own - it's pointless to compare to another car and claim a bargain. I could just as easily call the Viper overpriced based on my Corvette's cost, which will trounce any Viper ever made. But so what?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
But hey, who am I to talk? I'm just trying to keep it in perspective.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your perspective may change when you're laying down YOUR hard earned money for the car
smile.gif
. I just remember getting my 98 GTS for MSRP which was $70,700. If it weren't for the fact that I expect to pay not that much more for my SRT than I did for my GTS (come on Woodhouse, don't fail me now
smile.gif
!), I would seriously consider other cars for that kind of cash. If you can afford $84k for a Viper, can't you also afford $115k for a 911 turbo? I can get a 911TT for below sticker too... hmmm
smile.gif

No, I still like the SRT - I will still take mine (dependent on what I will actually pay for it, that is), and I am sure I will love the car. I am only saying I would have *appreciated* it if DC took a little of that cost savings and passed it along my way, instead of stashing all of it in the "additional profit" column. At $84k, this is one expensive **** of a Dodge.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I agree when it's MY money I will care more. Even though I am years away I still care and my whole point is that the Viper is in the class performance wise (stock) with the best ferrari's and porsche's, build quality well maybe not (I've never been in a porsche or ferrari) but to me IMO is nothing but a measure magazines use to place the viper behind a z3 roadster in a comparo. To me, performance is the only yardstick in which to measure by, specifically in stock form.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At last an MSRP is announced. So what is the invoice price, since most of us have our price relative to invoice? Wonder what the holdback is too...

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Whiners must have returned from their summer vacations early.If Dodge gave them a Neon free with the purchase of a Viper they still wouldn't be happy. Keep your Gen II cars and quit whining.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see any whining - I just hope this puppy performs the way they say it will.

I, contrary to some others, don't think the people are Dodge are total boneheads. I think they know what they are doing alot better than some give them credit for.

They know where they stand on styling. They sure as heck knew what the reaction would be when they released the pricing. And they sure as heck know what the reaction is going to be when they release the numbers, and when the rags test this car.

I'm not worried. I have faith in DC's business acumen to make this an outlandish performer. My hope is only that it lives up to the hype. If 1.15G's and 60-0 in under 100' is the mark, then they EXCEEDED my expectations on what this car would do... which is what they needed to do all along to get folks to buy it at the elevated price.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also believe the price is a disappointment. It's nice that Dodge wants to make money on the SRT, but if the car will not sell at $90K out the door, which is what MSRP will equate to in California, they won't sell!!!! Plain and simple. If the car needs to be priced at $65K MSRP to sell, then raising the price will not help -- the only option is to control costs better. Sorry, but that's fundamental economics.

Anyway, once the first year is over with, we'll see what the market will bear in price. My prediction: the car will be selling for way below MSRP in late '04.... I may be proven wrong.

Like Mike B, my hope is that the performance merits the cost. Frankly, PVO will probably out-performance the claims they listed in the press release, which is encouraging. 1.15g lateral acceleration? Holy sh**!!!! That's impressive!

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Friend:
At last an MSRP is announced. So what is the invoice price, since most of us have our price relative to invoice? Wonder what the holdback is too...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Emissions.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a Diablo can sell for near $300k then $80k plus for an SRT is money in the bank for performance types. As for reliability I've seen a lot of TT's trailered back from the track after getting their butts kicked by Vipers over the weekend. One of the reasons I like Porsche guys so much is they have every tool and part imaginable in their trailer, I wonder why? I remember when the mags all said $70k for a Viper was outrageous when we knew it was the deal of the century. Let's drive the puppy first and then see, racing checkbooks doesn't put any rubber on the track.

I'm just glad we have a number, can't wait till it buys a hardtop. And if you want a good deal on a new Ferrari just buy an SRT and run it for pink slips
wink.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I would not be to certain that a Ferrari has any more appeal than a Viper? We have held many events in conjunctions with the Ferrari Club and in most cases the Viper is the big draw.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although you have to have good suspension geometry, and good brakes behind the cornering and stopping figures mentioned, a lot of the credit probably has to go to the new Michelin tires as far a getting those numbers. I wonder how much of this performance will spread to other cars when the tires become more generally available.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike. 190MPH.

So much for supercar.
frown.gif
(

Maybe the Street Coupe will hit the big 200?

Looks like the US will wait a bit longer to break that magic limit.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JH23JOB, I think you have your years mixed up. 2002 models are the last year for the RT/10 roadsters and GTS coupes. The new SRT starts as a 2003 model. There will be no coupes for the 2003 models.

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone read this weeks Autoweek where they printed the 2003 viper MSRP. The interesting thing was they said there was a 5000 dollar increase from 2002. $80,795 compared to $75,500. They used these figures: 75,500 for the 2002 which i believe would calculate from 71,725 base plus 775 destination 3000 gusler tax. So, therefore I reason the 80,795 may include 800 destination and the gusler tax also. Otherwise Autoweek was quoting the 2002 with gusler tax and the 2003 without gusler tax. So their 5000 price difference which seemed reasonable to them is realy 8500. Do you think they were right and there is only 5000 diff?

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wellons1:
Press Release
Prices for 2002 models ranged from $71,725 for the RT-10 Roadster to $82,225 for the GTS ACR Coupe (not including $775 destination).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that Dodge wasn't making a coupe anymore. Am I missing something here ?? It looks to me like for $11k more than the roadster, you can have a coupe in your collection as well according to Chrysler......... *** ???

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope (and pray) that you are correct about the gas guzzler tax being included! If I could only convince the government that I use less gas in my Viper in a year than ANY soccer moms mini-van and WAY less than any sport-ute.....

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by singlemd4u:
Did anyone read this weeks Autoweek where they printed the 2003 viper MSRP. The interesting thing was they said there was a 5000 dollar increase from 2002. $80,795 compared to $75,500. They used these figures: 75,500 for the 2002 which i believe would calculate from 71,725 base plus 775 destination 3000 gusler tax. So, therefore I reason the 80,795 may include 800 destination and the gusler tax also. Otherwise Autoweek was quoting the 2002 with gusler tax and the 2003 without gusler tax. So their 5000 price difference which seemed reasonable to them is realy 8500. Do you think they were right and there is only 5000 diff?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 2002 the hardtop on the RT/10 became "standard". There is your $3K. I don't believe either car is being quoted with GG tax. Thats the $5K difference.
smile.gif

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The printouts on the DIAL system ( Chrysler computer link ) , show an $83,795 list. Sorry, but it sure appears to be 79,995, plus 3000 gas guszzler, and 800 shipping. Hope I didn't ruin your evening , Dave?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the $79,995 price DOES include the GG tax!!! When I priced out a 2002 GTS on the Dodge homepage, it said nothing about the tax but automatically added it in, and the line that says MSRP was $76,000 (base price $72k + $800 dest. + GG) When I looked back at my original window sticker, the GG tax was also added before the MSRP total. THIS IS GREAT NEWS! DC can you (or Bill P) confirm this?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen