'03: Rear Window Glass/Plastic & Rag Top Manual/Automatic

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'03: Rear Window Glass/Plastic & Rag Top Manual/Automatic

A.) Does anyone know if the rear window on the '03 is Glass or Plastic?

B.) Does anyone know if the Rag Top is Manually or Automatically operated?

C.) Any truth to the rumor that in late '04 they will offer an automatically controlled retractable hard top? (Similar to the Mitsubishi 3000GT Spider VR4 retractable hard top)

Thanks.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'03: Rear Window Glass/Plastic & Rag Top Manual/Automatic

The top is manual, last years show car had a rear glass window, and the top will remain manual for some time. BTW, the top is not a conventional "soft-top" as some might expect. It has a material in it which keep it's form and actually improves the downforce when it is in use.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations Tony, that was the first time you could ever make that STATEMENT about ME!LOL, See you at O'Hare!

Sam Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve Ferguson you always have good solid information, can you give me an opinion on what you think the leak possibilities are/ will be with SRT/10? Frankly my 97 is great and after hearing stories about early RT/10s I wouldn't want to give it up if there might be a problem with my ordered SRT/10. Also will there be a hard top available? Your thoughts would be appreciated

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First hard top. One of the PVO engineers has a great way to to an aftermarket hard top. So I passed that along to the usual suspects so they could start looking into the planning. I know at this point the top that you see is the one that is coming with the car. Now keep in mind that this is not a convertible top as we all know one. The top that comes up is actually hard. The sides and the back are what folds. I wish I could give you some technical description or answer, but all I know is that it is some new form of technology. Hell, someone said my fat *** might be able to sit on it while it was in place, Now that would be impressive? (I think that was a joke, but judging by my beer model figure, you never know!LOL)

Now as for leaks. I would have to say that after years of listening to many of the owners complain about the leaks, that this version will be much improved. Again, this goes back to the evolution of Viper. The reason the original's leaked so bad was that they were designed NOT TO HAVE A TOP! The top was added 6 month's prior to production because Lutz had a prototype out for a spin one night and got stuck in the RAIN! Now since the SRT/10 has been engineered from the beginning with this top I would be comfortable saying that the leaking should be greatly improved.

On the "New Viper" goal chart at PVO, build quality was higher than it has ever been. The good news was POWER is still goal number 1!!!!!!