1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 hours with a SRT Red Launch Edition

Discussion in 'Generation V Discussions / SRT Coupe, GTS, GTC, AC' started by former345bhpLS1, Sep 2, 2013.

1. SilveRT8

SilveRT8 Viper Owner

After street driving and Tracking my new Gen 5 for 3 weeks now, all I can say is Mr. Former345... yor review is spot on, and right to the point.
    I also had a Gen4 for 4 years, raw fun but scary at times, and have been driving a CTS-V as a DD for 2 years now, good example of a competent but a bit boring car to drive, unless you really push it to it's limits, not nearly as much fun to drive as my former Jeep SRT8 wich was a blast at all times. I think SRT as the fun factor well sorted out !

2. Hemotoxic

Hemotoxic Enthusiast

Sure sounds like it's for me. I had a regular red S2000 for 56,000 miles and then a yellow S2000 CR, the one with hardtop and cartoonish wing and quick steering and gumball tires and stiffer suspension that would loosen your fillings on rough interstates. That's why most car rags said the CR was unusable as a daily driver, but I did just that for 79,000 miles. When the deals on Corvettes got too good, I switched to a 2011 base coupe and it's even better in every way except the soft (for a sports car) suspension. It will turn 60,000 this month and I've been thankful for every minute.

As you probably know, automotive writers aren't always picked for their love of sports cars, but because they're catchy writers who can pontificate to the lowest common denominator of readership, and are inclined to bestow their papal blessing upon pushbutton driving appliances, not raw performance monsters that demand some respect in return for hours of good clean loud fun. If the factory doesn't give them a perfectly prepared ringer as tribute, the review sure will say so, good and hard. So what if not all the French fries got vacuumed up after the last press junket--concentrate on the car and the experience, please.

Thanks to reviews like this one, just a couple of guys who like sports cars and want to find out whether others like them would be reasonably happy in a Gen V, when the time comes that I can take one home, I can just put the thousand bucks toward the first month's payment.

3. former345bhpLS1

former345bhpLS1 Enthusiast

I figured that I would post a few pictures from my iPhone. I have a nice digital SLR, but of course the battery was dead and I could not find the charger in time...funny how that always seems to happen.

I'm amazed how much better the car looks in person. I would shoot a picture and could not believe the difference between my eyes and the screen. I don't know why the car doesn't photograph better, but it was definitely meant to be viewed in person.

I also took a quick picture of the G-meter before resetting it and handing the car back. The numbers weren't real high, but higher than I expected given that we were driving the car conservatively since we were unfamiliar with it.

In any case, it was a fantastic day and I wish that I had more pictures and not just iPhone pictures. Maybe I'll fix that the really expensive way...in a little while.

-Nick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. former345bhpLS1

former345bhpLS1 Enthusiast

OK, for some reason it only likes these two pictures, tried to upload 7. Maybe I'll try again later.