Reaction score
As a great man once said,"I'm not really sure of anything"

Funny how so many of us,"are so sure of everything"

Now, may we rest...

Skip

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having had several z06s, it is not worth the gas to beat one. That's one of the great things about the viper. So if the C65 z06 comes out with 500hp, I just add a few relative cheap modes (10-20K ought to do that with ease).

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had several z06s, it is not worth the gas to beat one. That's one of the great things about the viper. So if the C65 z06 comes out with 500hp, I just add a few relative cheap modes (10-20K ought to do that with ease).

Vette owners mod their cars too. :laugh:

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh cripe, of course they do---you never really stay on top for long in this car business. That's the fun of having the 60s return. Got to take advantage of it until the next swing.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next swing will be electric, with speakers simulating race car sounds. Will the ricers 'tune' their sound to todays common farting sound, or will they make it sound like a big block chevy??? hmmm.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah but it's still a lousy Vette!!! bawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :headbang: Checkmate. :smirk:

TK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Still a lousy 'Vette?" Whatever. I currently own a 2003 Z06 and love it and I know better than to even think about messin' with an SRT-10. I WISH I COULD OWN A VIPER! In fact, I've NEVER been to a 'Vette website, but I do check this Viper site almost daily. Sorry I'm not a pompous rich a$$ like yourself that can currently afford a Viper, but I work a full time job and a part time job just to be able to afford the Z06 and I'm proud to own it. I actually get compliments on it all the time and have people tell me how lucky I am to be able to own the car. Someday I WILL own a Viper, but will still respect the 'Vette and will not have a better than you attitude just'cuz I own a Viper. Some of us just do the best we can and envy those who have what we really want........except for maybe you. Checkmate my a$$.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TK
You will get one response out of me. Having spent years on the vette forums, this is a typical vette response, kind of pulled out of your a-- and is not really relevant to the above recent posts. Can't you tell when someone is jesting?

The other typical response is the vette is"the best bang for the buck" As you will see the new z06 rise quite a bit in price, this response means less and less.

You get zero cu dos for the way in which you afford your ride. Plenty of viper owners suffer and sacrifice for their ride. :rolleyes:

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The age old argument..

I love vettes and vipers. I personally own an 02 Z06 and my dad just bought a white mamba. (I'm sure I had something to do with that). Vipers are incredible no doubt, BUT you better bring your A game because drivers will make all the difference. I have beat numerous RT10's and GTS cars with jackasses talking smack in them in my corvette.

My $02..

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a funny thread! Gotta know that such a title would bring all of us vette trolls out that are so bored we are surfing the viper site! :laugh:

Anyway, if you are talking about drag racing, I give the nod to the viper. On a road course, it is very unusual for a stock viper to turn a better time than I can in my z06. With expert drivers I would probably give the nod slightly to the viper, with just good DE drivers, I would give the nod to the vette, since it is easier to keep on the track. I seriously doubt that 1 percent of the people here could drive their nearly stock viper and beat me on a road couse in my z06.

PS. I would add my political viewpoints, but convincing someone that their political views are wrong is about as easy as convincing a southern baptist that god doesn't exist.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea like Zaino, cags defeat, and trunk liner. :D :D :p

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TimZ06 - I would tend to agree with you regarding pre-ABS Vipers as it took great braking skill to get adequate braking out of the stock system. However, with the SRT-10, the Viper now out brakes the vette so the vette loses it's previous advantage. Now if you say your Z06 can beat 99% of all SRT-10's then I believe we have a difference of opinion. In effect you are saying only 10 to 15 Viper SRT drivers could keep up with you. Right!

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron!

I would have to say from what I have seen on paper the SRT 10 is a superior car to the z06 in just about every category.

I have not seen any on track, since most clubs don't let them run without a rollbar...until a couple of weeks ago at viperdays. I had two with me in the advanced group. I was able to pass both pretty easily. Hard to say from this limited experience, I don't know what their skill level was, how hard they were driving etc. I also don't know if the new car is easier to drive than the previous generation. I think the new car is a great car! I also like the old gts. In general I think, the driver plays a bigger part than most people realize. I am able to beat up on my vette buddies pretty badly. Maybe I don't fear death as much?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can answer the difficulty question fairly well. The Gen III is much easier to drive on the track than a Gen I or II. I find it to have much more progressivity and predictability, both which allow you to approach the limit more closely.

However, even with the easier aspects I find myself leaving pretty large margins when on the track. An example is in the braking. I can reduce my brake point by over 100ft for a typical turn at Gingerman, but I leave myself a greater margin than I did before, generally leaving an extra 25 to 50 ft before turn-in. I have not yet gained the confidence to take it to the limit for braking, though the braking is just phenomenal.

At Gingerman the acceleration is not that much different as the Gen III has a gearing disadvantage versus the Gen II (Gingerman is generally a 3rd gear only track). The only place where I find a slight advantage is on the front straight where I achieve a speed in 3rd that is above redline in 3rd for a Gen II. But I think that is the only advantage for acceleration, unless the car is regeared.

The other main improvement is the ability to take corners closer to the limit due to better feedback and predictability, something that is totally lacking in my Gen I. I find the turn in speed capability of the Gen III to be quite a bit higher than the Gen I/II. And when you find yourself surpassing the limit you can scrub some speed off while maintaining control.

All in all I think you should be finding some more capable SRT's over time. You may find the more track prone owners will stay with the GTS until a hardtop version of the SRT is available. The roll bar restriction is severe as most of us are not willing to give up the stock nature or useability, let alone the spend the money on a non-performance oriented improvement.

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TimZ06.. Not sure if the "troll" comment was directed at me or not but whatever.

I was merely talking about SOME guys that I come into contact with that have their nice GTS's/RT-10's and can't drive for [******]! That's it! I bought my Z when they first came out and for the money (I know you guys hate that one) it was/has been a great car. Will it beat an SRT-10 or any other Viper with a good driver? Probably not.

While we are on the topic.. I see some changing out their gears to 3.55 vs. the stock configuration. I'm not sure I like it. (I rode in a 3.55 car 2 weeks ago) I think the car has so much low end torque that the gearing is almost secondary. Plus it feels like the car will never stop pulling with the stock gearing which is great!

Peace-

Brian

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, nevermind the first part of my email.. I saw your "us" part of that.

Evidently I'm defensive today..

Brian

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah but it's still a lousy Vette!!! bawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :headbang: Checkmate. :smirk:

But atleast I didn't pay $50K for a Tahoe er I mean H2.

Checkmate :D

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea like Zaino, cags defeat, and trunk liner. :D :D :p

Sorry, no 6 speed, Zaino, or trunk was EVER offered in 1968. :2tu:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey the Viper site doesn't need another "tire kicker" that never steps up. Hit the road!!! :eek:

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette also has an optional navigation system - I assume so that the drivers can find their way around the track :2tu:
What's with the heated seats? I guess to sooth the rear of the driver after a good *** kicking by a Viper :smirk:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey the Viper site doesn't need another "tire kicker" that never steps up. Hit the road!!! :eek:

My car unlike yours sees the track on a regualr basis. Where as you stated you bought your Viper (and Tahoe) for the gawk factor. At least I drive my "lousy" Vette the way it was intened. Get w/ the program, the Viper is some much more than a cruiser. :)