'04 Gen III appears to have a protective film on the headlight lens?

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by Marquis7676, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Marquis7676

Marquis7676 Viper Owner

One of my headlights appears to be cracking all over the place, short lines in some sort of film, I had initially thought it was the plastic lens itself but it does seem to be a film of some sort on the lens, it is a factory install not an aftermarket.

Does anyone know if this film can be safely removed and then replaced with a new one? Because it looks very bad at the moment.

2. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

Have you got a picture by any chance? That sounds pretty odd. Can't say I've seen anything like it on my 04 and it's seen plenty of use (nearly 117,000 miles).

3. plumcrazy

plumcrazy Viper Owner

could it be a clear bra type of material ? lot of people put it on them to protect from debris

4. Marquis7676

Marquis7676 Viper Owner

It may actually be small cracks, I’m not sure. Would hate to have to replace them but I’m thinking of selling the car.

I did see recently that these headlight covers can be refinished by body shops but these cracks may not sand out.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated!

6C298789-D75F-4672-9A8D-00BB30E21D70.jpeg

5. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

Hmm, interesting. Could very easily be the lens itself. There is plenty of road debris out there, one rock off a truck could probably crack a lens. I have seem some very small crazing on mine, but it's not really that noticeable and doesn't seem to affect the lights any. I'd agree that doesn't really look easily repaired through something like sanding.

6. viper k

viper k Viper Owner

Yes I agree like everyone said wet sand I would start with 1000 and Finnish with 3000 then just buff it out ?????