'04 Shifter Detent/Centering

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '04 SRT-10's shifter started getting "sticky" in the neutral gate at about 52,000 miles.

I bought the car new and I could swear the lever would spring center into the 3-4 gate from either the 1-2 or 5-6 gates.

It is still under warranty so the Dodge dealer pulled the tranny, worked on the shifter, replacing a few parts that looked new. I got the car back and it is not much different than when I brought it in.

They have a used '08 that whose shifter acts just like I remember mine acting (the same as every other 6 speed I have ever seen).

Can anyone who has an '04 describe how their shifter acts when moved about the neutral gate to confirm my memory?

Thank You!!

OP
OP
S

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What he said...you will never miss a shift again!

I had no problems missing any shifts in 51,500 miles.

My transmission and shifter are still under warranty.... Has your shifter never caused a missed shift for more miles?

So, on an aftermarket shifter, how does your lever move about the neutral gate?

I assume you don't remember how a stock shifter worked.

Also, my dealer's mechanic claimed he had to remove the transmission to remove the shifter. The manual says to remove just the console. Do you know what is right? I assume your mechanic wouldn't cut the floorpan to access the one inaccessible bolt.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 03 shifter 17k miles on the car doesnt really self center at all. My c4, c5, Trans am's all with the t56 tranny all self centered better than my viper to give you an idea

Reaction score
Over 500 shifters in the field with never a problem, Mileage aside I guarantee you this one will NEVER have an issue. If it does I will replace it.

The trans does NOT need to come out and the pan never needs to be cut! Any mechanic worth his salt can do the whole thing from under the car with only loosening the trans mount to let the trans sag about 2". The MGW is very centered and positive with absolutely NO SLOP whatsoever. :)

I had no problems missing any shifts in 51,500 miles.

My transmission and shifter are still under warranty.... Has your shifter never caused a missed shift for more miles?

So, on an aftermarket shifter, how does your lever move about the neutral gate?

I assume you don't remember how a stock shifter worked.

Also, my dealer's mechanic claimed he had to remove the transmission to remove the shifter. The manual says to remove just the console. Do you know what is right? I assume your mechanic wouldn't cut the floorpan to access the one inaccessible bolt.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont think a shifter is going to fix this problem. Have you had the trans fluid changed in the car?If so how long ago. Sounds to me like the shift rails are getting sticky with in the trans itself. I would recommend changing the fluid. May need to do it a few times over a short period of time to flush the trans and free things up.Once you fix the problem then put the MGW shifter in.

OP
OP
S

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dont think a shifter is going to fix this problem. Have you had the trans fluid changed in the car?If so how long ago. Sounds to me like the shift rails are getting sticky with in the trans itself. I would recommend changing the fluid. May need to do it a few times over a short period of time to flush the trans and free things up.Once you fix the problem then put the MGW shifter in.

When they tried to fix it, they changed the oil. What I don't understand is that in the neutral gate, the shift rails do not move. I suspect that they rails aren't perfectly aligned.

I appreciate a response associated with my question.

I had no issues with the factory shifter until it got sticky. I REALLY like having this under warranty, I still have old ('61 and '69) Corvette convertibles that have heavy aftermarket presence - I was too young to buy them new to get warranty.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shifter fits into item #1 in the picture. It then rotates the shaft going forward to the rails to select the 1/2 3/4 5/6 gate. So the shaft coming forward of #1 can bind in the housing and cause your condition
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper