04 SRT-10 Black - $79K and no Tax if Sold soon!!

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As stated by his call sign "Dangerous" is his name and avoiding taxes is his game. Be careful Dangerous, as Bill stated make sure you stay legal. If it is a legal loophole well as they say down under "Good on Ya" meaning good for you.
Ken

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K.

As others have said, it is irrelevant if the vehicle is registered in your name and you paid taxes. When the title changes to ANOTHER owner, and he registers the vehicle in his state, HE OWES TAXES IN THE STATE HE RESIDES ON PURCHASE PRICE. Period. Now if you trade a car in, yes, at least in PA, you will only pay tax on the remaining value (Car price - trade price). But to 'Make-believe' you traded a car to reduce the tax MUST BE ILLEGAL. Not sure if the liability would be on the dealership or the purchaser, but SOMEONE is doing SOMETHING illegal. If not, I would trade in 'Make-believe' vehicles 24/7.

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do know the laws in most of the 50 states and allthough they do vary greatly, they have a couple things in common. As a new buyer, you always pay tax. Some states charge tax on the base purchase price and some allow for a trade in. Most states allow a credit for tax already paid to an out of state jurisdiction (i.e. you own a car in Virginia and paid 3% per VA law when purchased. Now 2 years later you move to Maryland which has a 5% rate. MD will charge you 2% on the current depreciated book value.) However, the laws can be very complex and I would not doubt that many people get out of the tax one way or the other. The average DMV employee has the brainpower of a turnip and will process paperwork in many cases in a manner which best suits his/her mood at the time. As a rule, plan on paying the full tax and if you get lucky through one way or the other, then put the leftover into mods.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dangerous (Aptly named) said....
"As I stated I am not exactly sure how's done. We can move on."

You not being sure is the understatement of the year. And yes we will move on...without your now obvious attempts to **** someone into what you are now clearly saying is an illeagal transaction. You make some of the Ebay flukes look good in comparison. And I'm sure the car is sold, probably without you participating in the profitability, sold directly by the dealer, without you in the middle. As it should be.