04 SRT vs Z06 again

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My close friend just took delivery of a new SRT and we have been keeping close track or our street conquests as our new cars come and go. I have seen the Z06 debate off and on and when he went up against a stock 04 the results were surprising. The end result being the Z06 beat him 6 out of 7 times in everything from a rolling start to the dead start. The Z06 was averaging about 1/2 - 1 car length advantage. My friend being a better than average driver takes out most of the pilot error factor.

Anyone else have same or different experience?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the z06 isnt stock, or your friend really doesnt know what he is doing, or his srt-10 is down on power (03 with the valve issue).

I personally have beat up on a NUMBER of z06's when I was stock, EVEN when they were not, in a simple Gen II, and the Gen III is even more powerfull and quicker stock, so something in this equation doesnt add up.

Jon

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The words 'just took delivery' usually means it's still in break-in. I wouldn't run anything with a fresh engine.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dangerous...

Congrats on the "on the way" SRT. You will love the car.
These posts, however, are wearing me out. My SRT has headers,exhaust,3:55's and me driving it...so it's not stock except for me :cool: . The Z06's that I have had the pleasure of entertaining on a nice quiet, private race track have not been able to keep up with the car. First gear...they pull a length. Second gear...the Viper freezes the vette and once into 3rd...the process of realing in begins. Not much modding to the vettes so I may have a bit of a headstart there but by the time I am out of third...the advantage is serious and the mods kinda evaporate.
Vette's a super car and most should be proud to own one...but the difference in speed put to the ground between the two cars does show up....very obviously.

Once again...congrats on the SRT.

Clark

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, well one thing I noticed about his 04 SRT is it feels seriously detuned. The gears feel like the ratio should be half what they are. I was on the FWY in 3rd and didn't even notice it. It is deffinitly a better building block to mod it seems. Just surprising that they left it so tame from the factory. One thing I can say, it's more of a head turner than any vette. Felt like I should of been handing out neck braces.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TELL YOUR FRIEND TO get a btr nos/propane kit. And he will be able to go with bike's yet alone a vette.

I had a c5 great car but compared to a viper (SUPERCAR CLASS) its like a station wagen.

vd..

soon to be nitrous d

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, well one thing I noticed about his 04 SRT is it feels seriously detuned. The gears feel like the ratio should be half what they are. I was on the FWY in 3rd and didn't even notice it.
I believe someone did a little math on the stock rear end ratio (3.07) and then added in the taller wheel/tire combo as compared to the Gen II. Ended up with an effective 2.93 ratio. Compare this to the stock 3.42 the Z06 runs and you can understand why many Z06's will keep up with, and sometimes beat, a stock SRT-10. Also remember that the mods on the Chevy are less expensive and more readily available than for the newer Dodge. Chances of a finding a stock Z06 is not great, whereas I would venture that 95% of the SRT-10's out there are bone-stock. We all wish we could be Clark, but then only one of us has the honor. ;)

Stock for stock with the same driver, the SRT-10 wins. In this case it was Justin Bell (race driver), who ran a performance driving school with factory-supplied Z06's and owned one as his personal vehicle. He still couldn't beat the times he put down in the SRT-10 in this Motor Trend testing session:

You must be registered for see images

The margin on the 0-100 is huge:

The Z06 gets back 2/10ths of that in the standing mile, which I would think is partially due to the rear end ratio, but still finishes behind the Viper:

Even in top speed (which does not measure acceleration) the Viper pulls it off. The Vette has a true top speed of 174 mph, whereas the SRT-10 simply ran out of track at 182 mph and climbing (rumor has it that the SRT-10 tested in pre-production trim at 202 mph with the top up at the Arizona proving grounds):

The argument for bragging rights will continue for as long as the two V's (Vette & Viper) are in production. And that is a GREAT thing, as it simply breeds more power by the manufacturer to keep their customers coming back for more. You can't go wrong with either car. The Vette offers a bit more for the money, but the Viper holds the "exotic" title by virtue of limited production if nothing else. A head turner indeed.

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a tad frustrating that you have to void the warranty to dig into the potential of this awesome V10. Would love to see something in the way of a Viper SRT GT. Factory tuned possibly supercharged monster. Does anyone think this is a near future possibility? Vette has the Z06, Mustang / Cobra, Benz / AMG, BMW / M series.. ect. I would think a factory performance tuned SRT would make some serious waves in the supercar world.

A dreamer.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought two new Z06s and I have had 4 Vipers (including a current SRT/10)
My fairly Modded 01' Z06 is fun to drive and put miles on. I have run it in the Silver State Classic twice and the "High Noon Shoot Out" (1 mile top speed run), and I can tell you that the Vipers are faster than a stock Z06! So, I'm guessing something is up with the Z06 he ran against or he's having a problem with his Viper? (running on 5 cylinders?)

2Charmed

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a tad frustrating that you have to void the warranty to dig into the potential of this awesome V10. Would love to see something in the way of a Viper SRT GT. Factory tuned possibly supercharged monster. Does anyone think this is a near future possibility? Vette has the Z06, Mustang / Cobra, Benz / AMG, BMW / M series.. ect. I would think a factory performance tuned SRT would make some serious waves in the supercar world.

A dreamer.

Most mods that add a decent improvement in power also void the warranty. That's the same in most new cars. You can go with the K&N filter, ported heads and 3.55 gears and having 600 crank HP will wake up the SRT-10 Viper enough to excite most people, and not really void the warranty (as long as you don't openly talk to your dealer about your mods). :D

I'm thoroughly expecting that the Viper will raise it's power output before the C6 Z06 Corvette hits the road.
As it sets the upcoming C6 Z06 should be around 3100lbs and have at least 500HP. Which will give it a very good chance to be quicker than the current stock SRT-10 Viper. And I think that it would be ill-advised for D/C to keep the $85K SRT-10 Viper at it's current power levels when the far cheaper C6 Z06 would be quicker. :eek:

So I expect the power to go up to at least 550HP as a manufacturer's spec (maybe as high as 625HP), so that the Viper can stay as a leader of the pack in it's market ($75K-$125K high performance cars). :2tu:

-Dean.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered the btr nx/propane the kit with 2 15pound bottles and all the extras for the 2nd bottle Heater,blanket ect......

I haven't recieved my statement yet but I think its $2300

The shop that I am working with www.visionsofspeed.net is getting a new mustang dyno soon (hopefully within 2 weeks) I plan on installing the kit as soon as it arrives but will not use or test it until the dyno is up and running.

nitrous D..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang