06 Coupe - Before & After

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all. The purpose of this thread is to hopefully help those who have a stock Gen III Viper & have been trying to find research on what benefits some minor bolt-ons will do.

Most owners typically like to start small (i.e. K&N intake & filter, aftermarket tune, thermostat, etc.) & want to know what results their monetary investment is going to net them.

I have a bone-stock 06 coupe that I brought to Jason @ Heffner's Performance in Sarasota, FL to:

1) Perform some baseline dyno runs.
2) Install a K&N intake/filters.
3) Install a 170 degree thermostat.
5) Upload the new DC "performance" tune.
5) Perform some post-install dyno runs.
6) Compare before/after results & impressions.

I will be providing the before & after dyno graphs that will display both HP & TQ measurements, as well as A/F ratio readings.

I will then provide a brief summary of impressions concerning throttle response, fuel mileage, power, & overall drivability.

Should have the graphs up within a few hours. Stay tuned.

- Matt

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It might be helpful to add another thread, but If you search, you will find 1000 of threads of such results, including adding headers, hi flow cats, No cats, Corsa vs bellanger vs B&B, how much hp a Paxton adds, do I tune it or not, what does a smaller underdrive pulley add on a N/A car. etc, etc, etc

OP
OP
I

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed & I have found some very helpful threads. But I wasn't really able to find any graphical or complete results in a single thread related to these common & simple bolt-ons. At the very least, someone will have just a bit more trash to sort through. :D

- Matt

OP
OP
I

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so I've picked up the car & ran it a couple of times on the highway, but it then rained, so I'll have to postpone my review until it clears up a bit. In the meantime, here's some attachments & comments.

Before - 458rwhp / 481rwtq

After - 472rwhp / 506rwtq

As you can see, there was about a 15rwhp & 25rwtq gain at the top end, with some clearly better under the curve (midrange) power picked up. The car also, as promised, pulled a lot smoother, with noticeably less crackle/pop on deceleration.

All numbers are SAE-corrected & pulls were performed on a DynoJet dyno.

I had asked Jason what he typically saw on that dyno for stock Vipers & he mentioned around 430-440rwhp & that mine was higher than most he'd seen on there. Can't complain about that. :D

In the meantime, please see the attached pics (dyno & A/F) & I'll post some more driving impressions within the next day or so.

- Matt

Attachments

• Viper_dyno11.jpg
    Viper_dyno11.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Viper_dyno22.jpg
    Viper_dyno22.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
I

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW, anyone wanna comment on the post A/F readings? Looks OK to me. Don't want any pinging going on, etc.

- Matt

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW, anyone wanna comment on the post A/F readings? Looks OK to me. Don't want any pinging going on, etc.

- Matt

Mine N/A ran at about 12.8-13.0 all the way across the board after the DC tune. Your a/f looks like it moves around a bit and gets a bit rich at the end. Id assume it could be leaned out a bit still and net a bit more power.

MikeKurtis1.jpg

MikeKurtis1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Few pics.

- Matt

Attachments

• DSC01205.jpg
    DSC01205.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01206.jpg
    DSC01206.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC01208.jpg
    DSC01208.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC01209.jpg
    DSC01209.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01207.jpg
    DSC01207.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 36

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. The purpose of this thread is to hopefully help those who have a stock Gen III Viper & have been trying to find research on what benefits some minor bolt-ons will do.

Most owners typically like to start small (i.e. K&N intake & filter, aftermarket tune, thermostat, etc.) & want to know what results their monetary investment is going to net them.

I have a bone-stock 06 coupe that I brought to Jason @ Heffner's Performance in Sarasota, FL to:

1) Perform some baseline dyno runs.
2) Install a K&N intake/filters.
3) Install a 170 degree thermostat.
5) Upload the new DC "performance" tune.
5) Perform some post-install dyno runs.
6) Compare before/after results & impressions.

I will be providing the before & after dyno graphs that will display both HP & TQ measurements, as well as A/F ratio readings.

I will then provide a brief summary of impressions concerning throttle response, fuel mileage, power, & overall drivability.

Should have the graphs up within a few hours. Stay tuned.

- Matt

Nice Car!

As your post said, you wanted other owners to see what their monetary investment is going to net them.

What was the monetary investment to gain 15 RWHP anf 25 RWTQ installed?

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Matt, since your VIN is in your profile, I updated your status to Viper Owner. I hope you'll consider joining/supporting the club in the future!

OP
OP
I

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Matt, since your VIN is in your profile, I updated your status to Viper Owner. I hope you'll consider joining/supporting the club in the future!

Hey bud, thanks! Venom membership purchased about two weeks ago. Still waiting for my number & materials..

- Matt

OP
OP
I

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Monetary breakdown & some driving impressions for these modifications are detailed below.

K&N Intake & Filters shipped to the door = $383.00

SCT Handheld Programmer w/ DC tune installed & 170 T-Stat shipped to the door = $809.00

Four dyno runs (2 pre-install, 2 post-install,) install of K&N, 170 T-Stat, & upload of programming to computer = $663.40

TOTAL = $1855.40

Mind you, if you chop off a few hundred between air shipping & install the parts yourself, you're looking at around $1500.

As explained previously, this netted a *peak* gain of approximately 15rwhp & 25rwtq. More importantly however, is the increased drivability of the car. Throttle response & fueling is much improved, not as much herky jerky if you're lightly cruising on the go-pedal @ low speeds. Increased usable torque at lower rpms is definitely a plus. The car "feels" like it has more power due to the powerband being moved / increased (especially tq) at lower RPM. Noticeably less popping on deceleration, which is probably due to the cut on fuel to the injectors when you're off the throttle, also slightly increasing gas mileage. The 170 t-stat keeps both water temperature & oil temperature at around 180 degrees on the highway. Tad bit higher than that on the street, depending on conditions. I'm in South Florida, for what it's worth.

If you look at the combined benefits gained (increased MPG, improved throttle response, cooler running temps, increased under the curve & peak power) for the money, you cannot go wrong.

- Matt

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Monetary breakdown & some driving impressions for these modifications are detailed below.

K&N Intake & Filters shipped to the door = $383.00

SCT Handheld Programmer w/ DC tune installed & 170 T-Stat shipped to the door = $809.00

Four dyno runs (2 pre-install, 2 post-install,) install of K&N, 170 T-Stat, & upload of programming to computer = $663.40

TOTAL = $1855.40

Mind you, if you chop off a few hundred between air shipping & install the parts yourself, you're looking at around $1500.

As explained previously, this netted a *peak* gain of approximately 15rwhp & 25rwtq. More importantly however, is the increased drivability of the car. Throttle response & fueling is much improved, not as much herky jerky if you're lightly cruising on the go-pedal @ low speeds. Increased usable torque at lower rpms is definitely a plus. The car "feels" like it has more power due to the powerband being moved / increased (especially tq) at lower RPM. Noticeably less popping on deceleration, which is probably due to the cut on fuel to the injectors when you're off the throttle, also slightly increasing gas mileage. The 170 t-stat keeps both water temperature & oil temperature at around 180 degrees on the highway. Tad bit higher than that on the street, depending on conditions. I'm in South Florida, for what it's worth.

If you look at the combined benefits gained (increased MPG, improved throttle response, cooler running temps, increased under the curve & peak power) for the money, you cannot go wrong.

- Matt

I picked up about 15 rwhp and 40 rwtq just from the computer tune.
tune $600
shipping computer back and forth overnight UPS $ 80

total spent $680.

The K&N is a waste in my opinion.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can also install a Corsa exhaust ($1300) plus shipping and get the same hp gains, about 15 rwhp.

After that things start getting expenive, headers net about 15-20 rwhp but are anywhere from 2k-3k plus install and then tHings like heads and cam or supercharger run you upwards of $ 10k for either setup.

I spent alot of money trying things that only netted 2-3hp, 8 hp, etc and half the stuff I pulled off when I did a supercharger. If I had to to over again. My mods would be following, either bought all together or as money permitted,

Power:
Exhaust
Headers
Supercharger
Tune

and then along the way add
Gears
Lighter Flywheel
Lighter Rotors
Coilovers
19/20" wheels and tires

Latest posts