06 Coupes-Painted if no stripes, and black if stripes, go figure

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just figured out something unusual about the paint on the 06 Coupes (may be true of the 06 Verts too, didn't check).

If the 06 Coupe has stripes, like these cars:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Then the rear "diffuser" area is black.

However, if the car does not have stripes the rear diffuser area is color-keyed to the body color, for instance:

7472DSC01226-med.JPG

I never really noticed this before, anyone know what's up with this?

In the future it'll be a tell-tale sign of a car that originally had stripes or not...

-J

OP
OP
Y

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know,

I think they did it that way to save the trouble of painting the diffuser area. That same area on a GTS is painted (and striped).

Just a thought,

-J

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
black only on 200 1st edition blue with white stripes if I remember correctly

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

Good eye. Don't think I'd of noticed.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "literature" also stated that the FE's were to be the only Blue Coupes

Only coupes in blue (with stone white stripes) I forgot they also added the black to the 50 special edition red. The VOI.9 special edition is also black.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Must be based on the same theory that invoked the "no stripes in license plate area".

Since all parts are painted prior to assembly, the potential for a variation of even fractions of an inch of the stripes would cause the two panels to look misaligned, as the stripes wouldn't "merge" from one panel to the other.... and knowing our Viper owners..... would be a massive issue!

Black rear diffuser equals no matching probs!

OP
OP
Y

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "literature" also stated that the FE's were to be the only Blue Coupes

Only coupes in blue (with stone white stripes) I forgot they also added the black to the 50 special edition red. The VOI.9 special edition is also black.

On the link I presented above (http://www.drivesrt.com/en/viper.html) it specifically states:

The first 200 of the all-new 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupes will be offered with a First Edition package that includes a Viper Blue exterior (the only coupes available in blue) accented with dual Stone White stripes; five-spoke forged aluminum wheels; car cover with dual stripes; seats and floor mats with contrasting blue stitching and embroidery; parking-brake handle, shift knob and steering wheel all highlighted with contrasting blue stitching and blue leather; and a serialized dash plaque.

with my emphasis...so, originally there were to be no other blue coupes at all (with or without stripes).

The photo I show above is a red SILVER (not a VCA ed.), I also have photos of Yellow/Black(Stripes) and Copperhead/Black, every single one has a black diffuser, it is apparently used on every car that has stripes. Check it out (for more pics, go to ebay, autotrader, woodhouseviper.com, dodgevipersforsale and so on)

-J

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All stipes are painted onthe cars after final assembly, by Prefix. i'm guessing that besides the allignment issues is that he blacked out difuser also gives them a more natural spot the end the stripes.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like its pretty simple, unless someone can come up with a fully painted diffuser with stripes, I think its safe to say, diffuser is NOT paint IF their is STRIPES to be applied to the car.

Here is one of the most recent cars to come out of the factor and notice same rule applies:

45962006_06190005-med.JPG

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isnt the diffuser part of the rear bumper? if so they through a lot of effort to paint it two different colors just to put stripes on it. The extra effort must be solely for looks than anything else.

I would think at least...

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that probably is the answer. if you look at the stripes they would just touch the middle section of the diffuser at an odd angle. Also where would you actually stop the stripe since you can see under the car down the diffuser. I bet they painted one and just didn't look right since they part in essence is the under side of the car.

OP
OP
Y

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to ruin the theory.........

This one is for sale from Hendrick Dodge.

Solid blue with painted diffuser:

It's gotta be an aborted stripe car. Maybe it has blue stripes :)

-J

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That must be the coupe everyone's been talking about that they shipped from CAAP by mistake before having stripes painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather