08 cabin heat question

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, have been away for a while and am looking for a new snake. I had 2 06 coupes( an FE and a VOI 9), and I see I can buy a nice 06 for mid to high 50s. More money will get me an 08.I would prefer to save a few bucks than buy brand new. I was mostly happy with the 06, but cabin heat was brutal, and the trans moved quite a bit on hard acceleration, it made me feel as I may hit the wrong gear on a very aggressive upshift. Have these issues been corrected on the 08? Is the 08 worth the extra money it will cost?? I know some may say the 100 hp itself will be worth it, but I never felt my 06 was underpowered, although there is no such thing as too much!I understand the clutch and trans were refined can anyone with experience of the two expand on it. I would appreciate any feedback as I am going to pull the trigger soon.

Thank you, Rich

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, have been away for a while and am looking for a new snake. I had 2 06 coupes( an FE and a VOI 9), and I see I can buy a nice 06 for mid to high 50s. More money will get me an 08.I would prefer to save a few bucks than buy brand new. I was mostly happy with the 06, but cabin heat was brutal, and the trans moved quite a bit on hard acceleration, it made me feel as I may hit the wrong gear on a very aggressive upshift. Have these issues been corrected on the 08? Is the 08 worth the extra money it will cost?? I know some may say the 100 hp itself will be worth it, but I never felt my 06 was underpowered, although there is no such thing as too much!I understand the clutch and trans were refined can anyone with experience of the two expand on it. I would appreciate any feedback as I am going to pull the trigger soon.

Thank you, Rich
You have a PM.

certs_210

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don't have a Gen IV, and am only going by knowledge gathered here.

For the Gen IV, the cabin heat problem was improved, as there is no longer an exhaust crossover beneath your butt. The exhaust now runs along the sills and exits on the same side. If you want to go the cheap route with a Gen III, you can pick up a used Gen IV exhaust from multiple vendors here on the cheap, and it's a direct bolt-on. Also, both will achieve lower sill temps with high-flow cats.

As for the moving trans, not sure if that is as severe a problem with the Gen IV, but you can address it with the poly motor and trans mounts from Woodhouse. They are also cheap, but I hear the install is an exercise in patience.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I's say get a Gen IV. The transmission is all new and a big improvment over the T56. The cabin heat is reduced greatly due to the new exhaust. There is an all new twin disc clutch which is absolutly fantastic.The car is just fantastic.

[/QUOTE=redlightrich;2742512]Hi all, have been away for a while and am looking for a new snake. I had 2 06 coupes( an FE and a VOI 9), and I see I can buy a nice 06 for mid to high 50s. More money will get me an 08.I would prefer to save a few bucks than buy brand new. I was mostly happy with the 06, but cabin heat was brutal, and the trans moved quite a bit on hard acceleration, it made me feel as I may hit the wrong gear on a very aggressive upshift. Have these issues been corrected on the 08? Is the 08 worth the extra money it will cost?? I know some may say the 100 hp itself will be worth it, but I never felt my 06 was underpowered, although there is no such thing as too much!I understand the clutch and trans were refined can anyone with experience of the two expand on it. I would appreciate any feedback as I am going to pull the trigger soon.

Thank you, Rich[/QUOTE]

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I's say get a Gen IV. The transmission is all new and a big improvment over the T56. The cabin heat is reduced greatly due to the new exhaust. There is an all new twin disc clutch which is absolutly fantastic.The car is just fantastic.

[/QUOTE=redlightrich;2742512]Hi all, have been away for a while and am looking for a new snake. I had 2 06 coupes( an FE and a VOI 9), and I see I can buy a nice 06 for mid to high 50s. More money will get me an 08.I would prefer to save a few bucks than buy brand new. I was mostly happy with the 06, but cabin heat was brutal, and the trans moved quite a bit on hard acceleration, it made me feel as I may hit the wrong gear on a very aggressive upshift. Have these issues been corrected on the 08? Is the 08 worth the extra money it will cost?? I know some may say the 100 hp itself will be worth it, but I never felt my 06 was underpowered, although there is no such thing as too much!I understand the clutch and trans were refined can anyone with experience of the two expand on it. I would appreciate any feedback as I am going to pull the trigger soon.

Thank you, Rich
[/quote]

If you have the dough, definitely GenIV!!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Drive the Gen IV first.

The "drive by wire" electronic throttle setup is the big negative which really needs improvement. It will take some "getting used to" and may not please some people.

Just Enough

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the windows open on a gen 3 a great deal of heat enters the cabin from the hood vents. This is even more pronounced in stop and go traffic when the fans are running. Test driving gen 4s they seemed to have the same issue. The interior panel heating due to the crossover is another matter on the gen 3 but can easily be eliminated with a cat back system.

OP
OP
R

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive the Gen IV first.

The "drive by wire" electronic throttle setup is the big negative which really needs improvement. It will take some "getting used to" and may not please some people.

Can you please expand on this. I am familiar with the "drive by wire" concept, and the negatives that can be programmed in with electric nannies ( like delay power delivery to avoid wheelspin) but how is it a negative on the Viper? I am very interested in hearing what you think about it. Is it something that can be improved with a "tune"? I feel silly asking this as I should know, but was my 06 drive by wire or throttle cable?

Thank you, Rich

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll tell you this - having driven ACR as well as 08 cab - you press the pedal, wait and then some brutal force would push your torso towards the back of your seat. With Gen3 you press the pedal and immediately less brutal force would push your torso towards the back of your seat (less brutal applies to stock - with SC or TT, ehmm, well...:). You can get used to anything, the question is if you want to get used to this.

The tranny is reasonably addressed with poly mounts. It's not as refined as Gen4 but it's enough. Frankly when I drove Gen4 (didn't have poly mounts) I felt I was driving a porsche (so detached) and could't wait to sit back in Gen3. ACR with poly was as crisp, but sooo refined and then that lag... not for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang