08 Viper Changes and then a redesign in 2010?

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just been hanging out the last couple years waiting for the right time for me to make my Viper Purchase. It's kind of ironic because I read a post a long time ago, that said just buy what you want and don't wait, or you'll always be waiting. Well that's what I've find myself doing. :) My wife makes fun of me because I can't make up my mind.

At any rate, I will probably buy a 08 regardless of what happens in 2010, but wanted to bring this up as a topic of discussion.

What do you really think the chances are that Dodge would stop producing the Viper for 2007 to retool for the 2008, to only produce it for two model years and start all over? I really just don't see it happening. Was wondering what information you all might have in regards to this?

Thanks!
Jason

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've just been hanging out the last couple years waiting for the right time for me to make my Viper Purchase. It's kind of ironic because I read a post a long time ago, that said just buy what you want and don't wait, or you'll always be waiting. Well that's what I've find myself doing. :) My wife makes fun of me because I can't make up my mind.

At any rate, I will probably buy a 08 regardless of what happens in 2010, but wanted to bring this up as a topic of discussion.

What do you really think the chances are that Dodge would stop producing the Viper for 2007 to retool for the 2008, to only produce it for two model years and start all over? I really just don't see it happening. Was wondering what information you all might have in regards to this?

Thanks!
Jason

The only change in'08 is the HP..and the hood. No re-tooling required. The 2010 may or may not be the next Generation. That decision is yet to be made. Get an '08. The new Gen4 may not happen till 2012, although 2010 is widely talked about.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to viper585 - with the way things are going at DCX there is no guarantee that the next Viper platform (ZC) will get final approval. It's better to buy and '06 now or an '08 in a few months rather that keeping up the wait.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks!
Jason

The only change in'08 is the HP..and the hood. No re-tooling required. The 2010 may or may not be the next Generation. That decision is yet to be made. Get an '08. The new Gen4 may not happen till 2012, although 2010 is widely talked about.

If it happens at all (and that decision has yet to be made). With lower than expected sales resulting in lower than expected profits for the Gen. III's, I don't see how DC can invest the $$$ to develop a Gen. IV with modern technological enhancements and more HP without a price tag in excess of $100K. Furthermore, the production numbers will be extremely limited because I firmly believe that DC learned a painfull yet valuable lesson from the Gen. III's: NEVER LET YOUR SUPPLY EXCEED YOUR DEMAND....

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only change in'08 is the HP..and the hood. No re-tooling required. The 2010 may or may not be the next Generation.

Is it possible Dodge will still sell the "base" Vipers and offer the hood / HP upgrades as an option?

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only change in'08 is the HP..and the hood. No re-tooling required. The 2010 may or may not be the next Generation.

Is it possible Dodge will still sell the "base" Vipers and offer the hood / HP upgrades as an option?

No. That won't happen.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had the extra cash for a second Viper, I would buy a new convertible today. Best price you will ever see on a brand new factoy warranted V-10 powered 510 hp 530ft/lb car. There is no guarantee that the Viper will continue past 2010.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks!
Jason

You'd be a sucker to buy a new Viper today... wait for the 08 unless you NEED a Viper today (you've waited this long already), or if you want a good deal (the 08 will most likely be more expensive). The SRT as it is today is sadly behind the newer supercars on the market. If money isn't the issue, and you want the ultimate... wait for the 08. I agree with others here that waiting for the GEN4 (2010 or beyond) is silly, but less than a year for more HP's and a new hood that every current GEN3 guys are going to want to buy aftermarket is not too much to ask for.

Or have the best of both worlds... buy now and trade in when the 08 comes in. Check with the wife though. They have a way of being dream-squashers. :D

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new ride either way. :2tu:

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wait for the 08, it will have a better engine than whats currently available. as far as any vipers beyond that, there may be a higher HP version as well as the regular version, sort of like the regular vette and the z06, although DC will not comment on this. lets just say a little birdie hinted about this. ;-)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've said it before and will say it again. DO NOT let the factory Horsepower weigh too much on your choice to purchase a certain model. Pick the one you want, and go with it. the aftermarket is tooled to provide anything you could ever want in the horsepower department, and is capable of doing things that an OEM simply cant. Yes, the 08 may have a little bump in horsepower... BIG DEAL. it will be virtually the same car, and for the difference in cost between an 05-06 right now and an 08 when it is available, you could FAR surpass the 08 in horsepower... and end up with much the same car. Yes, the new version engine may have some new toys, but it is not known for sure what will make it to market, and IF those parts will HELP or HURT in the long run with aftermarket parts and higher horsepower. Not to mention, those parts will surely make it to the aftermarket in a hurry anyway if they are worth anything.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said it before and will say it again. DO NOT let the factory Horsepower weigh too much on your choice to purchase a certain model. Pick the one you want, and go with it. the aftermarket is tooled to provide anything you could ever want in the horsepower department, and is capable of doing things that an OEM simply cant. Yes, the 08 may have a little bump in horsepower... BIG DEAL. it will be virtually the same car, and for the difference in cost between an 05-06 right now and an 08 when it is available, you could FAR surpass the 08 in horsepower... and end up with much the same car. Yes, the new version engine may have some new toys, but it is not known for sure what will make it to market, and IF those parts will HELP or HURT in the long run with aftermarket parts and higher horsepower. Not to mention, those parts will surely make it to the aftermarket in a hurry anyway if they are worth anything.

:headbang: I agree. There is so much you can do with these cars in the after market. I wouldn't care what the stock hp is.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider what has happened with the Z06, they tweaked what they could out of the motor, making it far less reliable especially when modded. I saw a Z06 advertised the other day that was modified by Lingenfelter, it had a supercharger and was pushing only 560 RWHP. The same thing could happen to the 08 Viper, it might be a much stronger motor stock, but might not be nearly as much fun to mod. Just my .02. If you are buying strictly for how much horsepower you can put down, I would say buy the car you like the looks of and get your checkbook out, it will be cheaper in the long run.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a wise man once told me, the best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the send best time to plant a tree is today. i use this all the time when buying real estate, however it can apply to your car purchase. meaning, dont sweat the small stuff, buy something and enjoy

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you go to a bakery, and they only have week-old bread, but tell you there are some in the oven and will be done in a couple hours... would you still buy the old bread? Maybe if you're desperate enough for it, but it would make more sense to wait and come back later if you can afford to.

The reason Vettes are so unreliable blown is because their engines are pretty maxed out as it is. Viper engines barely break a sweat when stock... there's PLENTY of room for improvements. Somehow I doubt the DC guys are setting to push the engine to it's limits. There will be plenty of wiggle room with the 08.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is winter in Ohio. You might want to wait for the 2008. On the other hand, the 2008 may not be released until July and the price is not yet known. If it was me, I would buy the 2006 and mod it to my liking. In fact, that is what I did last spring and I am very glad that I did so. For Viper fanatics like me, a day without a Viper is a bad day. Months without a Viper is an unacceptable alternative. JMTC.

Bob

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say buy now. Unless your a real horsepower ****** the 510hp model will be plenty to play with. If it gets to the point that it isn't enough anymore then supercharge it later. but also right now is a great time to buy a viper cheap

NEVER LET YOUR SUPPLY EXCEED YOUR DEMAND....

Thats exactly what DC has done and the prices reflect that. Not to mention it gets harder to sell cars knowing that the 08 model will have more horsepower, but you know the 08s will be more expensive and the horsepower increase is the only difference. I would bet money you could find a deal on a viper right now and put the money in it to make it have more hp than whatever an '08 model will have (which I don't think we know for sure yet anyways) and still spend less than buying an 08 brand new when they first come out and demand is way high. Besides you get the car NOW and thats the biggest advantage.

Then again maybe your the kind that won't be satisified with 510hp or someone that thinks that the z06 makes the viper less of muscle car(not at all true BTW) and maybe you dont want to mess with aftermarket add-ons. If you agree with these things then maybe waiting is right for you.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have a viper now, then get one NOW. Why go a year or two or more to get a viper when you can get one NOW? Whatever changes are made in 08,2010, or 2050 wont be worth going a season without a viper.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there isn't going to be much of a design change and I can get the HP with a few mods. The problem is the wife will not let me put any performance mods on the car. I made a mistake in the past and did all the work myself. I was younger so I skiped some corners that I shouldn't have. Ended up costing me a lot of money in broken parts or constant problems when I took the cars to the strip. So we could never enjoy the cars I modified. I know now you get what you pay for, and just have a professional shop do it, but she's not budging.

She wants me to get the Viper so we can take it out on our date nights and I can enjoy it for what it is, and she is making me buy another car to turn into a race car, so if it breaks it doesn't matter we still have the viper to enjoy.

Since it is Winter, I can't see buying anything now. All it will do is sit under a car cover for 6 months till it's nice enough to drive.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is the wife will not let me put any performance mods on the car. ......... I know now you get what you pay for, and just have a professional shop do it, but she's not budging.

She wants me to get the Viper so we can take it out on our date nights and I can enjoy it for what it is, and she is making me buy another car to turn into a race car, so if it breaks it doesn't matter we still have the viper to enjoy.

"Wife will not let me." "But she's not budging." "And she is making me buy.."

Is this wife-speak for diamond for me for Christmas, Viper for you? The past mod event is just that - in the past. It should have been forgiven. Get the car you want.

Dr. Phil

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wicked,

Get what you want or get a new wife, very simple. Life is much too short to be hen-pecked.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
C'mon, you guys need to give Wicked more credit. He is so slick it might have escaped you, but he's getting TWO fast cars: a Viper AND a racer. In fact, I personally know that tactic WILL WORK. The wife "gets" the Viper she wants and Wicked "gets" the race car. The Viper is "hers", though he will drive it 95% of the time! LOL ;)

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the '08 model is just more HP and a new hood, what should the increased price/value be... $10-15k?

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my first Viper, it's a yellow 2005. Love it!!!!! Finding the best deal is not the key to being happy. I wanted a yellow one and Bill P. had it. End of story. I'll wait now and drive it as much as I can because that is why I bought it...FUN! If the increase of HP is what I need, I can get that now, it just costs money! I think the Viper is perfect the way it is........sandy aka: the wiper

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a yellow fan too! Anyone know if they will be offering yellow or even what colors will be available for the 08? Will they be maintaining the color selection from 06?

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so the '08 Viper will be ready by now.....

But what about the 2010 version? Would they be working on that one?
I found a topic discussing the New Mclaren SLS

Could it be this raw thing is related to the 2010 Viper?
The Aluminium chassis looks like the Viper's

You must be registered for see images

And... is this a Viper engine in the back?
You must be registered for see images

And...
McLaren is hoping to use carbonfibre construction for the new car,
This would be good news for a new Viper too.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4