08 viper vs stock ford gt?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
0-60 depends on traction and driver, it would be close, just look at the mag test #'s for that comparison. I think the 08 will take it in the 1/4 mile as the mags have shown.

But on a street battle where these two cars happen to line up at a streetlight, its a drivers race between these two cars if both are stock.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magazine tests on FGT were performed with "supertuned" FGT by the factory as verified privately off the record to automotive reporters by FGT head honcho. In stock as delivered comfiguration they don't perform as well as the magazine test car.

All you FGT lovers who think the car is the holy grail don't bother bashing me or asking who the Ford head honcho is because off the record is off the record and it comes to me from both an automotive writer/reporter and a Ford insider executive. Yes I know you all have amazing stock dyno numbers but the fact remains the test car was supertuned.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-60 depends on traction and driver, it would be close, just look at the mag test #'s for that comparison. I think the 08 will take it in the 1/4 mile as the mags have shown.

But on a street battle where these two cars happen to line up at a streetlight, its a drivers race between these two cars if both are stock.

I agree driver determines the outcome. Stock for stock they should be fairly equal.

I like to drive and race my cars,so as much as I like the GT I can't get past the fact there is zero room for anything except 2 bodies.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven the Ford GT and own a 2008 Viper Coupe. Snake is faster. 0-60 is a somewhat irrelevant test for the reasons stated above.

My headers, intake and tune C6Z was faster than the FGT.

The FGT also has serious heat-soak problems at HPDEs. (One of my clients owns 2 FGTs and many other cars). FGT IS a very beautiful ride though!

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree driver determines the outcome. Stock for stock they should be fairly equal.

I like to drive and race my cars,so as much as I like the GT I can't get past the fact there is zero room for anything except 2 bodies.

Ray, miss looking over at you in the next lane and waiting for the lights to change! You're so right about driver skill. That makes ALL the difference.

And what's with that huge subwoffer in between the seats of the GT? What a waste of space. It feels so cramped in there with that thing on your lap.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a Ford Gt and C6Z and many other comparable cars, and I would think that the 08 Viper should be a little quicker in the 1/4 then the GT. I am waiting for an ACR so I can know for sure but I am betting on the Viper Stock to Stock. My GT ran 11.4 at 126 bone stock, but with only a 2.75 pulley and a SCT tune the car just ran 10.6 at 135 plus a couple weeks back and I drove it 80 miles to the track. Whenever you have SC's or Turbo's its easy to pick up cheap HP!

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend also has a FGT and with a few mods it is an absolute rocketship and with the Ford exhaust sounds incredible. Plus it is arguably one of the best looking cars ever built.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend also has a FGT and with a few mods it is an absolute rocketship and with the Ford exhaust sounds incredible. Plus it is arguably one of the best looking cars ever built.

I agree. And they are very easy to mod, pulley and a tune and you are smoking.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea very sad indeed! I love my GT better than any other exotic. I did just a pulley and tune and did 652rwhp. Gotta love forced induction. I also love the Viper and also the fact that Dodge keeps building them and supporting us!

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea very sad indeed! I love my GT better than any other exotic. I did just a pulley and tune and did 652rwhp. Gotta love forced induction. I also love the Viper and also the fact that Dodge keeps building them and supporting us!
when you say pully and tune what do you mean exactly ,how much more boost are you running and what des a tune include?awsome #rs on your ford gt.what were the stock rwhp on the ford gts?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you say pully and tune what do you mean exactly ,how much more boost are you running and what des a tune include?awsome #rs on your ford gt.what were the stock rwhp on the ford gts?

A tune is just a Sct Programmer with a pre determined timing and fuel curve for a specific pulley that you are running, in my case the tune was for a 2.75 diameter pulley which took my boost from 12 to a little over 15 psi of boost. Most of the cars that I have read about that were dynoed were making between 520 and 550 rwhp stock.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never drove a GT but I raced one in my Gen 2, about 0 to 120 ish and I chewed em even tho he got the jump one me for 2 reasons he kinda jumped a TINY bit early and my tires are shot.

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both and the Viper feels faster. I am glad they only built 4,000 FGT's it makes the car more exclusive.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow Plisskin (nice name BTW) that car looks AWESOME in that color, Lambo's are popular in that color but that snake out shines it 100%

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also am fortunate enough to own both.

GT has a pulley / tune / Heffner exhaust (basically cats but no muffler) so maybe the comparisons not fair... 08 Viper has Belanger headers and cat-back.

GT wins - hands down. And is stock trim, is a much more stable secure feeling ride. My 08 SRTC is headed back to the dealer for Motons to see if the ride / control improves. If not, look for blue w/silver stripes in the want ads...

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also am fortunate enough to own both.

GT has a pulley / tune / Heffner exhaust (basically cats but no muffler) so maybe the comparisons not fair... 08 Viper has Belanger headers and cat-back.

GT wins - hands down. And is stock trim, is a much more stable secure feeling ride. My 08 SRTC is headed back to the dealer for Motons to see if the ride / control improves. If not, look for blue w/silver stripes in the want ads...

Joe I agree the Gt is the superior car and with the tune ( I have Jasons also) the Gt is way faster but the 08 Viper might be a little quicker stock I think. The Gen 2 Viper would be annillhated by the GT stock to stock, so if someone in a stock Gen 2 pulled a GT there must of been some severe driver error in the GT!

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adamlotus, It is an 18psi pulley and a custom tune that I had done here locally. Jamie is right. I used an SCT flash tuner. When I dynoed the GT that is all I had just a pulley and tune stock paper filters and exhaust. Now I have a Heffner exhaust and K&Ns so should've picked up a few horses. Stock she dynoed 551rwhp I was shocked thought it would be high 400s.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you guys who have tuned your FGTs have they been done on a dyno? The reason I ask is because I have been told that the best way to supertune these things is while they are on the rear wheel dyno to ensure the air fuel mix is right with a load on the car. I intend to mod mine but can't really get a consistent response on best way to go about it? Or the best equipment?

I have been told pulley, scm flash and dyno tune along with exhaust for most cost effective way? On exhaust I am getting a lot of different answers some guys say lose the cats others say it makes no difference? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adamlotus, It is an 18psi pulley and a custom tune that I had done here locally.

A near 40 percent increase in boost w. just a tune is great. Any idea what kind of increase people are seeing in their IATs with this mod? Also, have you considered modifying your A/C for added airflow?

I would have purchased a GT, but after sitting in one, there was no way in hell I was going to fit, unless I modified the roof line. I put my hand under the seat, and found that it was already bottomed-out from the factory. Beautiful car.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les, yes we tuned on the Dyno then tweaked here and there. Did that over and over till we liked the power curve and A/F ratio. She was pinging a little and had to pull some timing out. Now she perfect...but i think I want a Whipple. I have heard of guys getting 700 plus to the the wheels with the Whipple.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les go wih the Heffener exhaust and leave the rest stock. Not enough gain with no Cats

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les, yes we tuned on the Dyno then tweaked here and there. Did that over and over till we liked the power curve and A/F ratio. She was pinging a little and had to pull some timing out. Now she perfect...but i think I want a Whipple. I have heard of guys getting 700 plus to the the wheels with the Whipple.

Great cars!

If you do not mind my asking, where are you using 700rwph on your rides? The roadrace tracks are generally not long enough for that, and you will get serious heat-soak problems with the FGT even stock. (I do not know about the supercharged Viper). One of my clients is a serious racer, races in various series and has 2 FGTs. Again just curious. Maybe Sanctioned top speed runs like Silver State with full cage? Quarter Mile with Sanctioned Cage? Lower class groups at Lemans?

Last edited:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stealth thanks man. I just LOVE the pull from high powered cars. HP is addicting. The road race track that we have here in NM is small with one small straight. Fun but not a high HP track. I would love to do the Sliver State Classic sometime.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe I agree the Gt is the superior car and with the tune ( I have Jasons also) the Gt is way faster but the 08 Viper might be a little quicker stock I think. The Gen 2 Viper would be annillhated by the GT stock to stock, so if someone in a stock Gen 2 pulled a GT there must of been some severe driver error in the GT!

Here comes "*** Wee" Furman again, spewing his Viper hatred, as usual. An '08 ACR Viper will hand a Ford GT it's ass on a plate, on any road course, so take your "superior" nonsense back home where it came from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21