08 Viper with headers and 150 shot of nitrous!!

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well gang, these new engines like the nitrous. This car has 1800 miles on it with the following mods:

3.33 Unitrax gears with Quaife rear.
heavy duty half shafts
K&N Filter
Belanger Headers, H/F cats, and exhaust
Macedo Motorsports custom Nitrous Upgrade with 150 shot. (one step colder plugs)
The A/F ratio lands right around 11 - 11.5 just like it should be.

Power jumps from 570rwhp to 733!! :)
Torque jumps from 542 to 799!!! :D:D

Attachments

• Dyno Runs April 2008.jpg
    Dyno Runs April 2008.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 390
Reaction score
Are they going to be able to smooth out the big ****? Very impressive numbers though no doubt!

Were there check engine lights etc...?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well gang, these new engines like the nitrous. This car has 1800 miles on it with the following mods:

3.33 Unitrax gears with Quaife rear.
heavy duty half shafts
K&N Filter
Belanger Headers, H/F cats, and exhaust
Macedo Motorsports custom Nitrous Upgrade with 150 shot. (one step colder plugs)
The A/F ratio lands right around 11 - 11.5 just like it should be.

Power jumps from 570rwhp to 733!! :)
Torque jumps from 542 to 799!!! :D:D

1. Is the nitrous staged or does the 150 come in all at once?

2. Is it a wet or dry kit?

3. Does the kit include a bottle opener and closer?

4. A bottle warmer?

5. If the nitrous comes in all at once, in what gear and at what speed are you activating it and how is traction?

6. Are you doing this with the stock Pistons?

OP
OP
M

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some answers:

No check engine lights. :nono:

No software to tune out that drop yet.

1. Is the nitrous staged or does the 150 come in all at once? All at once. :D

2. Is it a wet or dry kit? Wet

3. Does the kit include a bottle opener and closer? Both

4. A bottle warmer? yes

5. If the nitrous comes in all at once, in what gear and at what speed are you activating it and how is traction? I will use it from a stop in first gear at the track only with the slicks.

6. Are you doing this with the stock Pistons? yes

I'll keep you updated when I can get her to the track.

Keith

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thing is going to clean up at the track! I'm not going to say what I think it's gonna run, I'll let you have those honors. Wow.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I see that thing running low 10's or high 9's with slicks. Thats just sick that your Stock rwhp is about the same as my nitrous rwhp. Its amazing how much the torque jumps on these engines running nitrous. That thing is going to be a beast on the track. I just hope everything holds up. Are those cast or forged pistons that come in the 2008's. Please tell me they went forged pistons instead of keeping the cast ones.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When an all you can eat buffet just quite ain't enough.... :D

Good lord! I know this goes without saying, but be safe in that thing. Sounds like a total monster!

OP
OP
M

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
The number in my signature IS with all the mods except the nitrous. I have not been able to run a full pass with the nitrous yet. There seems to be a torque management restriction in the stock ECU. When the ECU sees a spike in the torque numbers when you change gears its closing the throttle bodies, thus slowing the car. It will run fine as long as its a one gear run. Pick a gear, any gear, it pulls like a rocket and as soon as you shift up to the next gear the ECU slows the car. Drives me crazy! I am wide open for suggestions.
Anyone else experiencing similar problems??

Keith

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you communicated with Dan Cragin about the possibility of him reprogramming your controller? If not you need to contact him. He would know if it can be done.

Reaction score
With all of the "new" engine controllers using the electric TB control is very hard to achieve. This is part of the reason the manufacturers are going this route I suspect. The Viper is not the only car that is seeing this tuning problem. There are others making power only to be robbed as you are by the PCM and it's FULL control over the TB.

Sorry

OP
OP
M

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know of any tuners that can remove or increase the torque managment? We are ALL going to need this when you make any good power gains.

Thanks,
Keith

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like that will be the only way to beat an 08!

But should be able to tune it out or unplug something;)

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are the factory pistons really that bad? Plenty of import motors able to take 2+ bar of boost have cast pistons.

You should be able to achieve around 733whp with 5 or 6 psi of boost. Don't paxton setups run more than that?

Edit: It seems the SRT8 shares the '08s pistons, so we should be able to get a good idea of how tough they are from SRT8 guys. The SRT8s have less stroke though, and so the '08 should support about 10% more power per cylinder at the same cylinder pressure.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do find a way to make the juice compatable with the 08 computer be careful because if there is an issue (or even if your dealer sees the Nitrous hardware on the car )say goodbye to the warranty forever no if and or buts .

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I hope that you get the issue worked out, I am interested to see what it will run at the track with the 150 shot if you are already running a 10.86 without the Nitrous. I have been told by Dan Cragin and others though that those cast pistons and nitrous are not a good combination. Especially the way you plan on running it without a progressive controller and hitting it in first, that will put more stress on the components.

With that said though there are people with the GenIII's including myself for a bit that was running a 200 shot with no issues. I didnt run it for that long though. When I do start driving my car again the shot will be down to either 100 or a 150. I am told your engine is already pushed to the limits just about anyway, I would be very cautions with the nitrous. Either way I love Nitrous. Are you running the NX Kit?:nitrous:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also if you get a chance show some under hood pictures and pictures of where you mounted the bottle, etc. I want to see how yours was installed. Thanks

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And for the computer issue, if anyone can do it that would be Dan Cragin at DC Performance. I would give him a call. I am not sure how far he has gotten with the 08 ECU as that is a different animal.

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
updates?

I was wondering to what happened to the throttle issue

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The numbers are great, and I hope the motor lasts.

But claiming that a 150 shot gave you 163hp and 250lb's torque at the wheels, is like saying you got 150 dollars from 100. The nitrous jet is obviously bigger than a 150 shot, it could be from the bottle pressure or just from too big of a nozzle. You should be seeing about 120-130rwhp gain, considering the drive train loss.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The numbers are great, and I hope the motor lasts.

But claiming that a 150 shot gave you 163hp and 250lb's torque at the wheels, is like saying you got 150 dollars from 100. The nitrous jet is obviously bigger than a 150 shot, it could be from the bottle pressure or just from too big of a nozzle. You should be seeing about 120-130rwhp gain, considering the drive train loss.
Depending on the nitrous kit most claim at the wheels, so that is not too far off. Also not true as I got 741rwtq from a 200 shot and no way was I getting 541rwtq at the wheels before that. That was even before I had exhaust. These engines love the juice :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper