10.43 @ 137 Roe only!

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe Donovan, owner of Performance By Joe, drove in from St. Louis to Kansas City on Saturday afternoon for the Midwest Shootout at our local track. He called me on Friday afternoon and said he was coming in town, so I quickly registered my Viper for the event.

We met at the track on Saturday afternoon. The weather was beautiful. Slightly overcast and 60 degrees. Probably the last day of the season for the track to be open.

My 1998 GTS went 10.58 @ 136 and backed it up with a 10.43 @ 137!

No headwork. No aftermarket cam. No slicks. No nitrous. No overdrive pulley.

Just:
Headers
No cats
exhaust
intake
T&D rockers
Roe blower w/10 lb pulley
91 octane pump gas
Water/methanol
18" BFG drag radials
Tuned by Joe Donovan

The 60' time on the 10.43 pass was a 1.528 on the DR's. There was probably a better short time in it, but it had already been a long day, and the track officials were starting to take notice, so we called it quits after the second pass.

I just want to say thanks to Joe Donovan for putting together and tuning such a killer combination for me on my GTS.

I couldn't be happier with the work he has done for me or how the car performs. Keep in mind, the tune that was in the car on Saturday when the car went 10.43 was the same tune that had been in the car since it left Joe's shop almost a year ago. I've driven the car probably 3,000 miles since then and I've never touched a thing. It's just that drivable and that reliable. We didn't do anything except swap wheels/tires.

The car is going back to Joe for some headwork and a few other tweaks in the next month or so. Joe's work is top notch. He builds fast, fun, daily drivable cars. I've never owned a car that drove so well and went so fast. He's truly at the top of the game as far as tuning goes.

Don't be shocked when you see the World's First 9 Second Roe Only car with a Performance By Joe sticker on it next season.

You must be registered for see images

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PBJ does a heck of a tune. But I do believe it will be a cold day in hell before we see a ROE ONLY car in the 9's. In the 1/8, maybe.

Congrats on the run! that's awesome!

JD

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PBJ does a heck of a tune. But I do believe it will be a cold day in hell before we see a ROE ONLY car in the 9's. In the 1/8, maybe.

Congrats on the run! that's awesome!

JD

Thanks, Joseph.

That's EXACTLY why Joe, Greg Good and I want to do it. Because everyone says it can't be done. :2tu:

And for the record, the 1/8 mile time was 6.741 @ 105.49 mph. :)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great times! :)

But I think the Drag Radials nullify your 'no slicks' claim. They usually drop a Viper's ET by almost 1/2 a second.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great times! :)

But I think the Drag Radials nullify your 'no slicks' claim. They usually drop a Viper's ET by almost 1/2 a second.

I consider ET Streets or ET Drags a "slick". Drag radials are still just, well, drag radials.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are those CCW SP20's on the front? those look strange in such a small size with a normal tire.

congrats on the time/speed.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great run Mark. What RWHP are you calculating to run 9's?

I think that based on the weight of the car, we need to make around 740 rwhp or so to pull off a 9 second pass.

The car dyno'd 610/655 in St. Louis and 630/675 here in KC as it sits, but the trap speed would indicate it's making much more power. I have to assume the big torque numbers throw the calculations off somehow. I can tell you that with a little better 60', the car probably had a 10.3x in it last Saturday.

If we pick up another 100 rwhp, we should be REALLY close to that 9 second pass. The goal is to do it all on pump gas.

All I know is that the car runs great. It's a blast to drive on the street and I've never had any drivability or reliability issues with it since I've had it. Plus, Joe is just a great guy to deal with. He's always thinking about ways to make things better. He's the kind of guy that will call you out of the blue one afternoon and say, "hey, I've been thinking........." and will come up with some cool idea or new product that he wants to try. His airboxes and catch cans are awesome products and I probably had just about the very first one of each.

There are three types of vendors in the world. There are the guys who do a bad job and you're disgusted that you have to hand them a check and you'll never go back. There are the guys who do a good job and you don't mind handing them a check, but you can't really stand having to deal with them. And then there are the guys who do great work and you not only want to hand them a check, but you want to go out and have a beer with them afterwards. Joe is the last guy.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JD

Clarify the "ROE ONLY" part please ;)

I know you weren't talking to me, Tony, but my goal is to put the car in the 9's on boost only. No stroker motor, no nitrous. And I think it can be done on pump gas. I know I'm asking a lot, but I honestly think it can be done.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressive. Very impressive. What sparkplug wire set are you using? What plugs are you using? Are you just using the MSD voltage booster or do you have a higher capacity fuel pump? Are you running a stock clutch? Stock rear end? Stock half shafts? Do you have a stock shifter or one of the short throw shifters? Thanks in advance for your answers.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JD

Clarify the "ROE ONLY" part please ;)

I know you weren't talking to me, Tony, but my goal is to put the car in the 9's on boost only. No stroker motor, no nitrous. And I think it can be done on pump gas. I know I'm asking a lot, but I honestly think it can be done.

Oh, I know it can be done. I've been a 10.16 at around 2400' corrected (no nitrous)
I just want to make JD tell us what his version of "ROE ONLY" is :cool:

p.s. If you want to be the first....don't wait until next year ;)

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressive. Very impressive. What sparkplug wire set are you using? What plugs are you using? Are you just using the MSD voltage booster or do you have a higher capacity fuel pump? Are you running a stock clutch? Stock rear end? Stock half shafts? Do you have a stock shifter or one of the short throw shifters? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Bob,

1. I'm using some upgraded MSD spark plug wires that Tony Armour recommended. I purchased them from him along with the supercharger and the water/methanol kit. I've been very pleased with them so far. They've been on the car since I installed everything about a year and 3 months ago.

2. I'm just using the spark plugs that came with the Roe supercharger. Tony or Joe Donovan would probably know better than me, but I believe they are an NGK.

3. I'm still running the stock fuel pump with an MSD fuel pump booster.

4. The stock clutch went out from a combination of a leaky rear main seal and too much torque. When I had Joe Donovan replace the lousy $1 rear main seal, I had him install a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. You couldn't tell the difference between this clutch and a stock clutch. It's probably not as heavy duty as some other ones, but it drives like stock and that was part of the requirement on this car for me.

5. The rear and and half shafts are completely stock.

6. The shifter itself is stock, but I did install one of those cool MGW knobs with the Viper logo on there.

The car will be getting a set of Greg Good heads in the very near future. We will likely change out the cam as well, although that's still undecided. Joe believes that as long as we keep the horsepower in the 750 and under range, that replacing the stock 180 glph pump with a 255 pump should do the trick. If not, then we'll have to do some kind of big fuel system with an FPR, a return system, etc, etc. But I'm guessing a little bigger in-tank pump with the booster should get the job done.

Tony,
Thanks again for the setup. I've enjoyed every minute of driving the car since I installed the blower and other items I purchased from you. I've never had a single issue with any of it. If I had more track time available, we'd take a run at that 9 second pass now. But I think the track is probably about done for the year.

Thanks again for all of the support. I wish I could take more credit, but I think most of it belongs to Tony Armour for getting me such a good deal on the equipment and Joe Donovan for perfecting the tune on the car and making sure it goes fast. Greg Good's name will be on the list shortly, as I'm certain the heads will be top notch. He's already been just a phenomenal guy to deal with over the phone.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the answers. Good luck on your quest to break into the 9's!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not the authority on this, but ROE ONLY would mean no NOS/WM/turbo/etc...

But a ROE + WM = 9's? I dunno... I hope you are the 1st one! But I'm skeptical still!

JD

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But a ROE + WM = 9's? I dunno... I hope you are the 1st one! But I'm skeptical still!

JD

Yes, I mean Roe + Water/**** (as opposed to running race gas). At least I could still claim a pump gas car.

You have every right to be skeptical, Joseph. It has never been done. But that is precisely why we all want to do it so badly!

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JohnnyBravo,

Congrats on the great pass! Looks like you did exactly what I did...Bought all the equipment from Tony A. (BTW thanks again Tony for the great deal), then had Joe Donovan put it all on and tune it.( Thanks Joe!) We are looking for similiar numbers from our setups, in fact, I talked to Joe recently about getting over 700hp from a ROE setup and he mentioned your car and the addition of GG heads to come. I will likely be going with GG heads as well after talking with Greg (nice guy) but still am unsure of what cam to run. I will be eagerly awaiting your results soon. I don't plan on having these things done until next spring. Good luck, if any one can get you to your goals, Joe would be the person!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JD

I thought you would say the s/c only....no headers/exhaust etc.etc. My bad :laugh:

I belive I could have done it with the stock heads/cam if I had tried in Bradenton when I ran the 9.55. Just didn't have time to play without nitrous that day. The air was really really good that weekend. With heads/cam a nine second pass will be normal ;) I will not try it without the w/m though. To me, a "Roe blower only" nine second pass will mean everything is ok except nitrous....everything else is a go.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little bit faster and you may be able to take on one of those stock Z06's :)

Sorry - just had to do it.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great times. Well done.
Gives the rest of us something to shoot for, no matter what the setup.

Nice to log onto the VCA site and hear a Viper doing good times.
Lately it has been the best place to come and check how the GM machine is going. I think I now know more about the Z06 than my own car....

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the PEW Research Center, W/M is merely the intercooler that is used with the ROE and is not considered a power adder when setting records with the ROE.