1166 mile roadtrip

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove my Viper to San Antonio and back this week. The round trip mileage was 1166. On the way, I stopped at College Station to visit my son. Then on to Austin for a little business and I had the good fortune of meeting some other Viper owners, thanks to "GOT ONE". He generously made the arrangements and a few local Vipers turned out to meet me at a local Sonic. A very attractive Lotus Elise also turned up to say Hi. I will post pics as soon as I can get to computer with a floppy drive. It was actually the first time I had ever seen 2 Vipers together. Will give more info on other Vipers with the pics. Then on to San Antonio for T-day and see my son again. I left S.A. thursday at 3:30pm and punched my garage-door opener right at midnight. The return trip was 500 miles non-stop (except for brief refuelling). Alas timimg and circumstances did not permit me to visit with some of the other Viper owners, that I had been in contact with.

For those of you out there, considering a Viper purchase, be advised that this vehicle is a hoot to use as a daily driver, and a very acceptable long-range highway cruiser. The Viper was a delight. My speed varied between 65 and 75 mph all the way on the Interstate and I also enjoyed pretty decent gas mileage.

I even got to speak to some nice folk at various interstate gas stations. They would approach the vehicle with their camera cell phones clicking away. One middle-aged fellow in a SUV loaded with young children, insisted on shaking my hand and said "that's my dream car". I swear his eyes started to tear up.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a long trip. I need to do that someday since I only drive my Viper in town. I think it would be cool to take it for a big road trip.

OP
OP
F

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes...he is a computer engineer (from TAMU) and liked it there so much that he decided to stay on for grad school.

sent you pm

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This makes me want to do a cross country trip in the ol'Viper. I think the experience of meeting new people and seeing the great American countryside would make for a memorable experience.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "casually" mentioned to my wife that we should ship the car to VOI 9 and drive it back (about 2,000 miles). See the country, meet people, take a week or so for the return trip. Her response was basically nfw is she riding 2k miles in the Viper. However, I've got a firm maybe on driving From Vegas to the coast (West coast that is) and having it shipped home from there.

With only about 5,500 miles on the car I feel I wasted $$ on the extended warranty. I think I need a nice long road trip even things out. Yeah, that's it. :2tu: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you had a good time! Remeber, it was your first time eating at a sonic :)

Great looking FE you have there and next time your hankering a road trip, the Austin folks are always up for a meeting. Maybe we will see you at VOI9 (need a hard top before I make that trip though).

Can't wait to see the picks. Phil was the other 94 that showed up along with my friend Jeferson. Chris had the Viper with the...uhum...front plate, but I don't think he frequents this board as much as we do ;)

OP
OP
F

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time for the poor quality pics. My little cheapo digital was just not up to the task of taking nighttime photos.

Got One's buddy Jefferson showed up with a striking yellow Lotus Elise. The unfortunate young lady serving at the Sonic actually preferred it to the 4 vipers present (and also 4 slightly bruised egos)

9457MVC-007F-med.jpg

All 5 of us together in this shot. I had never seen a RT/10 before and was impressed on how wide it looked in person...even more so than the GTS. Maybe something to do with the lower roof line?

9457MVC-016F-med.jpg

Images don't show just how pristine these RT/10s were.

9457MVC-017F-med.jpg

San Antonio hotel. The manager just insisted I park the beast outside the front door instead of the parking area and there it stayed all night.

9457MVC-019F-med.jpg

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "casually" mentioned to my wife that we should ship the car to VOI 9 and drive it back (about 2,000 miles). See the country, meet people, take a week or so for the return trip. Her response was basically nfw is she riding 2k miles in the Viper.

Too bad. Las Vegas is 2000 miles from here as well. If we go, we will drive there and back, just like the last 2 VOIs. My wife can't wait to go.

Like life, the journey is a good part of the fun. Keep the road trips coming! We have over 55,000 miles of Viper journey so far ;)

Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi