130 miles on the ODO and check engine light!!

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the bad weather finally let up here in Delaware long enough for me to try to put some more easy break-in miles on my 2002 RT/10. After about 30 minutes, the yellow check engine light came on. It's not blinking, just solid yellow. I haven't gotten gas recently, so I doubt it's the gas cap. Anyone have any ideas? Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem? Thanks, Eric

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had a check engine light and rather than take the car to a garage, etc. to diagnose I went to Autozone or whatever car parts store in your area and picked up a Accutron ODBII code reader to read error codes when the check engine light is on.. it also lets you clear the code as well as read them. Cost is 149.00 A MUST FOR EVERY VIPER OWNER! :laugh:

Usually when the check engine light comes on it's 02 sensor , exhaust or vacuum leak....

Gerald

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree, do what Gerald said :)

I recently had a check engine light and rather than take the car to a garage, etc. to diagnose I went to Autozone or whatever car parts store in your area and picked up a Accutron ODBII code reader to read error codes when the check engine light is on.. it also lets you clear the code as well as read them. Cost is 149.00 A MUST FOR EVERY VIPER OWNER! :laugh:

Usually when the check engine light comes on it's 02 sensor , exhaust or vacuum leak....

Gerald

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the check engine light doesnt come on from the gas cap not being tight. it is the other warning light....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autozone will diagnos for free. They will plug in the own unit and it will cost nothing! Better than having to pay $200 for one, but I am a cheap bastage :D . Car is still under warranty, right?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a Accutron ODBII code reader to read error codes when the check engine light is on.. it also lets you clear the code as well as read them. Cost is 149.00 A MUST FOR EVERY VIPER OWNER! :laugh:

Gerald
Just a point of information here, but Sean Roe sells one for $55.00! (3rd item down - the code reader)
http://www.roeracing.com/index.html?token=1542738213-406577859-441500765&A=40&B=Tools
Works GREAT! (and clears codes) And we should all support "our" suppliers :D :usa:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool city, but it's a little different I think with a full readout and a scrolling text that tells you exactly what the problem is and where it is, etc like left bank, right bank, leak detection pump, etc etc..

But hey, ANY code reader is good! :laugh:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car safe to drive for a couple of days until I get it to the dealer? Thanks, Eric
Eric, read above. Think about taking to a local auto parts store and having them plug in a ODBII code reaer. This will take all but 5 minutes.. :laugh: Hope that helped..

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
the check engine light doesnt come on from the gas cap not being tight. it is the other warning light....

Check engine light does come on from not having the cap on tight. Its reason I had to replace my entire intake. The tank is pressurized and emissions require an alert when there is a leak.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CitySnake,
i too went with the roe unit and it is awesome.

Gerald,
the roe unit gives you the code # and the book that comes with list what all the codes mean.

so same info just different presentation.

but i agree a codereader is a must have item.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude