ENGINE light comes on (not the "check engine" light

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought my 94 Viper (15K miles) and when the temp gauge gets just above the 3rd mark at 190, the red "ENGINE" light comes on and won't go off until you turn the ignition off. This is different from and not the "CHECK ENGINE" light! The owner's manual says this light signals that the coolant temp is high or the oil pressure is low. Assuming my oil pressure gauge is working properly, has anyone had this issue or resolved it by replacing the coolant temp sending unit? Not sure what else to do.. I was told this ENGINE light shouldn't be triggered by the coolant temp until the temp gauge needle pegs out at the about 250??????? thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the Gen I set up; but the following post says that it has 3 separate temperature sensor units (Gen II has one unit with 3 internal sensors). I can see that the one for the engine light would be a high probability of being the cause of your symptom, and pretty cheap to just replace it.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/581728-Engine-Light?
By the way, cylinder #1 referred to in post 2 is the front one on driver's side (at least on a Gen II it is)

Since there are 3 different coolant temp sensors on the engine, make sure that you order the right one !

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions- From what I read in those threads and the diagram in the service manual, I should be able to see a single wire connector but all I see is a small black hard plastic hose with a 90 degree end that fits over a silver vacuum type ******- right where everyone says the sensor should be- maybe I'm just blind????? I've tried to attach a photo of my motor.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I was looking in the wrong place- (I'm not blind, just a little slow.........) I see a couple wires below the exhaust manifold that might go to the sensor (can't see it from above)- looks like you need to get under the car to reach where the sensor might be- sound right? thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I was looking in the wrong place- (I'm not blind, just a little slow.........) I see a couple wires below the exhaust manifold that might go to the sensor (can't see it from above)- looks like you need to get under the car to reach where the sensor might be- sound right? thanks

Keep in mind that I have never looked at this on a Gen I however. I look at your photo above and I look at the photo of the broken off sensor in the thread I linked above. The broken sender/switch is circled in red. http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/578214-Machine-shop-broke-my-heat-sensor-off-in-my-heads.? Use the second valve cover bolt and bolt hole from the front in both photos as a reference to find the sender/switch on your head.

It kind of looks to me like maybe I see the remains of a broken off sender in your photo.

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see where a sensor could be installed (exactly where it should be according to the service manual and other threads) but it looks like the hole is sealed off with a stud- looks factory to me. I did find what looks like a sensor on the passenger side at the same location. It has a single purple wire with a 90 degree rubber boot- you can see the small black rubber boot just above the grey front spark plug boot in this photo. Could they have just put it on the opposite side or is this some other sensor? Hopefully someone with a Gen 1 knows for sure. Thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see where a sensor could be installed (exactly where it should be according to the service manual and other threads) but it looks like the hole is sealed off with a stud- looks factory to me. I did find what looks like a sensor on the passenger side at the same location. It has a single purple wire with a 90 degree rubber boot- you can see the small black rubber boot just above the grey front spark plug boot in this photo. Could they have just put it on the opposite side or is this some other sensor?

Hopefully a Gen I person will chime in. That other post I linked with the broken off sensor(switch) talks about using the same hole in the passenger side head as an alternative location for the sensor. HOWEVER, the sensor hole on the passenger side should be toward the back of the engine. The two heads are the same part number, so they should be built with the hole machined in the same location., i.e., just above the 1st spark plug hole to the far left when you are looking at the exhaust side of the head. So, that purple wire in your last photo doesn't seem to me to be related.

I looked up the part number for the thing you are looking for. It is J3230408 and is called "SWITCH, Engine Temp. Warning Lamp" in the parts list, and looks like this (from eBay seller of an OEM part). Is that possibly the "stud" that you mention seeing on the driver's side head?

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks AZVTR. I finally put the car on a lift and looked up for a different view. The ONLY sensor on the cylinder heads, front or rear, is the one on the passenger side front that I described above. Wish someone else with a 94 Viper could look at their motor and see if it is the same. thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave