17" Tire Help

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought a 97 B&W GTS, my 2nd one, and I am looking for some guidance on tire options. Car is Roe supercharged and I live in Florida so while the car will likely not be taken out in the rain, there is always the chance of a sudden rain storm that I might get stuck in. I am not in a position to buy a new set of rims and tires and selection of 17" tires is slim and I need traction. I have searched and read but not seen whether anyone has had success with the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radial in size 345/40/17. It is about 27.7" tall and the PS2's and Pirelli PZeros are about 26.1" tall. Will this tire fit without rubbing on stock suspension? Anyone have pics or reviews of the tire? They are priced great at $185 each.

Thanks,
Mike

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i believe the tires should be ok with stock suspension. had a friend with 99 ACR had 18" wheels with drag radials. lloked pretty tall but no rubbing. 7TH SIGN has them on his car 99 or 2000 acr. seems to be no problems and his are 18" wheels too

check out CARS AND COFFE VIPER VID in the recent threads

OP
OP
G

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because the only offering not in a slick like the Hoosiers is the PS2 and Pirelli Pzero. Both are expensive and I am looking for the traction of a drag radial.

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The proxes TQ work fine. I have them and race with them. Pretty good tire. Looks great on those wheels.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Do the Toyo R888s come in 17 inch sizes? I have had those on a Shelby GT500 making 600 at the wheels and they hooked well and also have enough groves to push through the rain and puddles.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Just checked their site, looks like 315x35x17 is the largest in 17s. Not sure how that will look, but I know they will hook and can handle the rain better then some drag radials.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need drag radials for that power level.

If you want top hooking performance and the best streetablity, you can't beat the Mickey Thompson's Drag radials. You would need the #3744R P315/35R17. This is the most tire to the ground MT offers for 17" wheels. Overall height is 25.8 and that will clear fine as I have their 345/35R18 27.5 on my stock suspension with no rub.

If you want the BEST traction for a drag radial, then go with M&H. They don't ride as smooth as the Mickey Thompson's however its still a good ride and offer the most tire to ground. I ran them on 17" wheels on my 1,000+whp Supra. Great tires. You would need these #ROD-20 325/45R17.

I had Toyo R888 on my Supra as well and I would get some wheel spin even at 600whp.

These are the tires I have had experience with. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
G

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance everyone. I am getting some work done to the car before Sean tunes it (thank god he lives 5 miles from me!) but plan on ordering them after I talk to Luke at TireRack. The Toyo's seem to be the best option for until I can get some CCW's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh