186 miles on 15.6 gallons...

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which averages out to a very respectable and eco-friendly 11.9 MPG. :D

The car now has 3,150 miles on it, and I'm hoping by 5,000 miles the engine will be fully broken in and hopefully gas mileage will somewhat increase. I usually do the 1-4 shift and I rarely take the car past 2,000 RPM, so this seems to be quite a bit on the low side.

Also, my gas light came on at 170 miles, and by 185 miles it was below E. However, if the tank holds 18.5 gallons like the manual says, then I still had almost a full 3 gallons left. Is this normal?

- Anthony

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last trip over to Jersey averaged 14.4.

I ran the PA Turnpike, then the NJ turnpike (at 80ish:D traffic was flowing at this rate). Waxed a couple of ricers on the way. Ran the 1/4 mile 3 times at E-Town (12.02 granny shifting. No new records this time:dunno:). Then drove back home using the same route.

Filled up just before I left, then again when I got home. Poured $98 worth of go-go-juice in to the tank that day!:omg:

Had a freakin' blast driving the car though!:headbang:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats great mileage. I usually only get about 120-140 miles before low fuel light comes on. Dont expect to get much better then 200 miles to a tank if crusiing long distance as you baby it. If you drive around town and use the power,gas mileage is 10-13mpg
But sounds like you are, you're using the 1-4shift and shifting at 2k rpms,:confused:
, maybe you should have bought a Prius. :dunno:

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been around 13 mpg but I ah .... enjoy the car and do things that do not assist in good mileage on occasion ... I'm only around 1k miles....

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best i ever did in my 03 was close to 290 miles on one tank.. this was 95% highway driving in 6th gear at speeds of 80-100mph .. all pretty much below 2k rpm...

In my 08 i've just been having to much fun to even notice

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get you a good deal on a Kia that gets 34 mph if u want good mph

You mean MPG. If you are trying to make a smart ass comment, you should probably make sure you get post correct. ;) :D

And did I say anywhere I want a Prius? I was just asking what average MPG is for you guys and under what conditions. My engine still hasn't broken in, so I'm curious to see how it will change.

Also, why when the gas gauge needle is almost below E, do I still have 3 gallons of gas left? It seems like the needle isn't properly aligned.

When the low gas light comes on for you guys, how many gallons are usually left?

- Anthony

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My best gas mileage (highway driving, 80MPH, A/C on) was 26MPG! :eek:
Until after I added 3.55 gears, and since then the best that I've gotten is 24MPG.
And in normal driving I average 16-17MPG, but with more freeway commuting than city driving.
Of course it drops significantly when driven hard or raced. ;)

Your MPG should go up a bit after the initial break in miles, but of course it's going to depend mostly on how the car is driven. The Viper CAN get surprisingly decent gas mileage (I average better than most of my friends who own SUVs), but of course it doesn't mean anything if the car was not so fun to drive whenever you do push down on the gas pedal, or go around a corner at speed.

From what I had seen there is still a couple gallons left when the needle shows empty, as it's better to be safe than sorry and run out of gas somewhere in your Viper. But I'm not sure how much room there is with the newer models.

12MPG does seem a bit low considering how you say that you drive the car, but if it's mostly city, stop-and-go driving then that will always eat up more gas. If you are babying the car AND are doing a fair amount of highway driving and still are getting 12MPG at 5000 miles, I would have the car checked out to see if the air/fuel mixture is set way too rich, or something else is off.

For now though I'd just enjoy your great new car! :D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have hit 25+ MPG, I can still hardly believe it. Highway driving, 70-80mph for about 5 hrs.

Now around town on a grocery run, driving to work on a nice etc., I'm getting lousy MPG, the 11-13 sounds right. Of course we have a Jeep that get 12-13MPG so I feel like the Viper MPG ain't too shabby. Needless to say, the Jeep is going up for sale, replaced it with a new Subaru Imprezza.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On a recent trip of about 350 miles through varying elevations of desert, high country, and flat land my 05 S/C'd Comm. Edition vert AVERAGED 22.4 mpg! Only made a couple of runs over 140 for a few seconds.....but I was exceptionally pleased with the gas milage. 3:55 gears, and used 6th gear most of the time.....actually did much better than the car stock with 3:07's and without the S/C!

viperman303

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove 2330 from Great Falls, Mt to VOI in Detroit; 08 vert; four other cars in convoy; 8 fill ups; 80 to 80 plus most of the way; 21 to 25 mpg low to high so avg about 22 mpg. 3500 miles now on the car before I start the return trip tommy.

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I estimated about 22 mpg on the highway. 3-4 mpg at the track.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget you guys with the '08s will get better gas mileage because of the variable valve lift on the exhaust side. Mine is an '03 with now 3200 miles.

I don't particularly care, just curious to see what other people are getting.

- Anthony

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 3 extra gallons in the tank are the reserve gallons. The button in the glove box on the top left will switch the fuel pump pick-up to the reserve tank( kinda like a full size ford truck with the dual tanks).

150-180 ish before the light sound about right, i have a 03 also.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my Bellangers and 3:55 gears in my 06' Coupe, I can actually watch my tank guage move to the left. I usually drive like you with the 2 to 4 shift and low revs but since I put the Bellangers on, my right foot has a mind of it's own. :)

I am pretty consitently putting in 15 gallons every 185 miles. Averaging about 12.5 mpg to 13 mpg. I too have a gas light on the dash with premature E-jaculation. It goes from low E to light on in about 5 miles on the highway and scares the hell out of me, but then it has a lot of extra reserve. I am too scared to trust that it has that reserve in there or not. It's not like my old Mustangs were I could drive on E for an extra 80 miles. Juts a Dodge sending unit to blame for the premature E.

I am hoping the new Sean Roe Blower will help will gas mileage in the future. :) I keep a full log in all my vehicles, but to be honest, it is to just see where the car should be and if it is off, usually it needs a tune up of sorts.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten pretty good mileage very similar to the above posts. Drops quite a bit with city/spirited driving. I have tested (accidentally) the reserve light more than once! It does have 3 gallons and you can count on getting 70 miles or so with careful driving (A/C off and not over 60mph). It will get better beyond complete break-in (afterall, you got 10 tight cylinders).