1993 and 1994 Vipers

5ohRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm looking into getting a new car and am seriously considering waiting another year and picking up a nice '93-'94 viper. What type of problems are these known to have? Also, I've noticed a few for about $33k-$35k, are these realistic prices? Last question for now...I'm 18, no tickets (knock on wood) and currently have an '89 5.0 mustang. What type of insurance would I be looking at?
Thanks!
-Brian

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">First off, I must say congrats on an excellent choice in Viper. An older Viper such as the 93 ranges from 33-40K. Older Vipers tend to have head gasket leaks, depending on how well it was taken care of. No door handles on the outside is a bit of a pain. Insurance will be quite high(if you can get insured at all) considering your age and that fact that it's a very fast car. </FONT c>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are some very raw years. I've never owned one but people have told me the differences are tremendous compared to 96+.

OP
OP

5ohRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not set on the viper just yet. They are my favorite car, but I'm 18 and need to be realistic. I'm also looking into a 2003 Mustang GT, a '93 or '94 Supra TT, and am considering a vette. I'm getting prices on insurance tomorrow and will go from there. If I can afford the insurance on the '03 GT, that's probably what I'll get for now as it would be the most affordable for me at the moment. If I can't afford the car payments plus the insurance, I have no idea what I'll get. So if that happens...any suggestions?
Thanks again,
Brian

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Foster1:
<FONT COLOR="Black">. Older Vipers tend to have head gasket leaks, depending on how well it was taken care of. No door handles on the outside is a bit of a pain. Insurance will be quite high(if you can get insured at all) considering your age and that fact that it's a very fast car. </FONT c>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Head gasket problems have nothing to do with how well it has been taken care of.

No door handles on the outside is really fun when you are taking someone for a ride that's never been in a Viper. I say, let's go! They are excited, get to the passenger door and have the best look on thier face. You can see them thinking, "I really want to but I don't know how!!!"

The insurance thing and 18 years old, good luck!!!

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a 94 RT for several years before getting my 97 GTS. These cars are night and day different!! Both are unique in their own way, but I would not use a Gen I as a daily driver. Both cars have been great and reliability has been tops. Good luck with the insurance!!

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my first VIPER it's a 94. I paid $33,000. It has 26,000 miles. 3 days before I bought it the original owner purchased a new hard top and glass side windows. It also has Borla exhaust and k&n smooth tubes. The car is very nice. I will need to repaint the side exhaust cover's to make the car really nice, they are original and have the typical effects from the original HOT exhaust and bad rivets. I am having them repaired at the end of the month for $500. I also bought some chrome wheels from a 98 rt/10 that had the original tires on them with 800 miles for $1150 off EBAY. What a difference. I will have about $35,000 rapped up and have a really nice car. As far as no door handles and such, who cares. I like the raw feeling, thats what the car is all about!!!