1994 viper

Rick Hubble

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wont run at start? on going problem for 20 years, alarm ? now last 6 weeks nothing works, new battery, full of fuel, tried battery disconnect, dealer ship in salt lake is ...never mind. internet re routs to ads or other garbage not about the 1994 viper rt 10, any knowledgeable early viper help out there, I bought this new

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it’s been an ongoing issue the following will not apply, but if the ‘nothing works’ started after you changed or disconnected the battery then it might.

This is just a SWAG, but the alarm can do that (shut everything off), especially if the car was locked (alarm activated) when you changed or disconnected the battery. I can’t remember how I resolved it exactly when I did that myself though. But I piddled around with the remote and the key (unlocking the car and trying to start it). After a thing or two was tried the alarm sound went off when I turned the key to Start. Try locking the car with your remote control and then unlocking it with the remote, if no luck try the key. Some combination of those should shut the alarm Engine Start lock-out off.

Last edited:

kssssnake

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the alarm. New battery in the remote? You should hear the fuel pump turn on with the key "on". I would sometimes hit the wiring harness with my right toe and set the alarm off. Alarm is now disabled. If Steve can't help let me know.

jmarkovicj

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies to YOUR situation, but it seems to be a common problem with the ignition turnsdial where the key goes in to turn on accessories and start the engine. I have a 2001 RT/10 where the internal electrical contacts got worn and caused things not to work correctly or intermittently like the power windows, alarm, head lights, tail lights, blinkers and even the radio. I replaced mine, typical Dodge part so it not expensive and it allows you to keep the same key with the tumblers. Not too hard to replace.

97BlueWhite4Sale

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper locked up a while back when I replaced the key fob battery. Out of frustration I held down both the lock and unlock buttons which is the correct way to reset. This time, however I did this while slowly walking around the car. When I reached the front left the horn sounded 4 times which surprised me but everything reset. That is the only time I heard the horn honk 4 times. The Viper was a ‘97 GTS if that makes any difference. Best, Patrick

kssssnake

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
And... I seem to remember the interior lights coming in to play. Make sure the dimmer knob is set in a middle position and the mirror light is not accidentally manually turned on or the bulb is burned out.

KBS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 94 and disabled the alarm. Starts up every time although wont start on first try even after turning the key off and on a few times

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem years back. Got a new alarm and has been working since.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wont run at start? on going problem for 20 years, alarm ? now last 6 weeks nothing works, new battery, full of fuel, tried battery disconnect, dealer ship in salt lake is ...never mind. internet re routs to ads or other garbage not about the 1994 viper rt 10, any knowledgeable early viper help out there, I bought this new

I've had a 94 for about 20 years. The comment above about the alarm is where I'd start. It can be very difficult to get the alarm to turn off once it's turned on. I find that holding it close to the driver side hood vent sometimes helps, sort of a weak signal problem from the remote. (first one to comment about a weak remote battery gets "stupid" sign) I've also done a battery drain test and the alarm seems to be draining the battery. Just some thoughts. Good Luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper