1996 GTS Oil Pan Upgrade

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what pan Wayne Skiles put on "Bad Viper."

He told me when I bought it that he did something and had to scribe a new, lower fill mark on the dip stick. But I've forgotten.

Could it be that newer Gen II's had deeper pans?

I know when I put the 9-ish (don't remember exactly how many) quarts in it, that lower mark coincides with full.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if he upgraded to the newer Gen II oil pan. Not certain, but I believe the change was made in 2000. Oil capacity was increased to 10 quarts and the new pan had better baffling in it.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he scribed a lower mark on the dipstick then that would defeat the purpose of installing the deeper pan to achive higher capacity.

Take a pic if your pan and post here. Looking at it we can tell you wich one of the two it is. Also, can tell by the part number on it.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 reasons for a deeper pan: more oil and less windage (keeping oil lower and away from crank.)

I wish I had read these posts earlier - I just had the car on a rack for oil change. I got a good look at the pan. It is "square iso-grid" finned aluminum with a sump that is NOT the length of the block rails. I think the sump was on the aft end. Guessing, the bottom of the sump was 3" lower than the "non-sump" bottom.

I bot the car in mid 2001 so it may be what he did.

I guess I have two choices: run the oil lower or add a quart.

QUESTION: Is the same dipstick used?

This is NOT the pan: (mine has square fin pattern all over it)
You must be registered for see images attach

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
If you want a deeper, more capacity pan, you need one from a 2000-2002. All the 1996-1999 were 8.5 qt. The later were 10 qt. I might know of one sitting in a garage................... :D

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what's up with my ID. I can post, but I can't click on links - it says I don't have permission. Can't click any of the How To Do It links either. Can click on Search links though.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally pics:

Turns out my memory of the pan was completely wrong. No rectangular iso grid (maybe I confused trans or rear???)

But fortunately I save face because mine has 3 ribs and not the 2 of the pan I said I didn't have (!)

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 reasons for a deeper pan: more oil and less windage (keeping oil lower and away from crank.)

More oil yes. Not sure about the less windage part though. I don't think the oil level goes any lower with the deeper pan as the deepness is just for the extra capacity. Also, on both versions there is a baffle/windage tray both mounted to the oil pan as well as the bottom of the crank with separation between the two. I don't think you have to worry at all about that particular design.
The real issue is with the 8.5qt version she runs out of oil in the sump during sustained high-g cornering. The extra capacity of the 10qt one helps buy you a couple more seconds of oil pressure which is good but even better is the simple install of a baffle kit to keep oil centered over the pickup where your motor wants it to be.

the Two-fin picture you posted above is indeed the 96-99 8.5 version
I'm pretty sure a simple way to tell the difference between it and the 00-02 10qt version is that it has 3 parallel bottom fins.

Like this:

See the following link for how to install the baffle kit in either oil pan. (Includes pictures of the 00-02 pan)
http://www.kouchicentral.com/viper/oil_pan_baffle.htm

The baffle kit can be purchased @ http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/Viper_oilpan_kit.htm

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahhh, I see you posted as I was typing a response :)

Yes, 3-fin's... You have the good one. :2tu:

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is the dipstick level mark the same for both pans?

I got the oil changed and it took 9 quarts AND the OE dipstick was manually scribed lower than the stock FULL mark.

One other related question: Is there a larger oil filter that can be used?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss