1996 RT/10 Head Bolts

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem and need some advice. I have a 1996 RT/10 and had the head gaskets were replaced by Ringgold Dodge in 2005, I have driven less than 3000 miles since the work was done. Now I am loosing coolant again from the heads, no hose leaks anywhere. The car has never been overheated but I noticed it starting to run hot at idle checked my coolant and it's dry in the under hood tank and overflow tank. Is it possible that I need to re-torq the head bolts or do you think the head gaskets are shot?

Thanks for any help in advance.

tlcobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May not be head gasket.my car had timing chain gasket fail and was loosing antifreeze into oil.

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem and need some advice. I have a 1996 RT/10 and had the head gaskets were replaced by Ringgold Dodge in 2005, I have driven less than 3000 miles since the work was done. Now I am loosing coolant again from the heads, no hose leaks anywhere. The car has never been overheated but I noticed it starting to run hot at idle checked my coolant and it's dry in the under hood tank and overflow tank. Is it possible that I need to re-torq the head bolts or do you think the head gaskets are shot?

Any stains on or wet lower head bolts? I went with Cometric head gaskets...Not the stock replacement on my 1994 RT 10..

Some pics..
You must be registered for see images attach

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need a pressure tester. Pump it up to 20 or so lbs, wait an hour or so and have a good look. I would check around the radiator....have a good look at the hoses etc. Also, if you don't see 'tracks' down the block and don't see fluid on the floor.... refill and 'burp' properly.

How's the oil look? (milky is BAD)

cheers

BTW, you should not need to re-torque the head bolts.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From the pictures you have provided you have the early composite gaskets, where these taken before the work? Fill the system up and pressure test it. it may have just had air in it.

The head bolts should not need a retorque.

OP
OP
T

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your advice! The oil is clean and I did fill and burp it, going to do the pressure test. Thanks!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Beware of dealers back around that time who were replacing gaskets with OE composite gaskets, not MLS... basically just a band-aid, and will absolutely reoccur later. The problem is the old gasket design.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beware of dealers back around that time who were replacing gaskets with OE composite gaskets, not MLS... basically just a band-aid, and will absolutely reoccur later. The problem is the old gasket design.

You need to PM Final GTS. He makes the MLS head gaskets for the Gen I. Do NOT put the old OEM gaskets back on. Get the MLS from Final GTS!!!!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 RT10 was basically a Gen I engine type and they used torque to yield head bolts. This means the specified torque puts the bolts into the elastic or yield range. In general, it is not good to reuse (although some do) that type of bolt. The Gen 2 does not use the torque to yield head bolts. As mentioned Dan (Final GTS) is a good source for the correct head gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte