1997 Viper GTS with 605 miles for $43,000?

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a car I am interested in, but maybe someone here would want it.

MODERATOR EDIT: Link to external ad removed.

If it checks out that is. Price seems crazy low for that mileage.

-Tim

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something smells fishy. Would be nice if it is true. Let me know if it checks out.

Number didn't work for me!

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That price doesn't seem "unbelievably" low considering the color--in fact I wouldn't pay that much for that car. You can't compare the value of a solid red GTS to what blue/whites are selling for.

When dealerships advertise online, they typically list a price without much wiggle room. You can bet that the sticker says at least 50 in the showroom.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought it was interesting that there wasn't a shot of the odometer. Not a car I'd buy sight unseen.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it amazes me how people will buy a car sight unseen- my my

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
15 years with 600 miles...that's a lot of down time...would turn me off a bit if i was a buyer

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
News flash.
Gen 2 prices are falling along with every other generation. It's going on 16 years old.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it checked out legit, I would buy that car...It is simply BEAUTIFUL, and most certainly the best color for the breed....;)

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car has been for sale a few times before, I remember seeing the photos and price was $47k-$49k. Its quite possible someone just wants to sell the car.

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know its the least popular color on a gts but it still drives the same and has the same fun factor as the blue and white gts's. Looks like a good deal.

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does low milage mean car that was repaired after wreck? Why would you only have 605 miles on a car that you know will depreciate. He should get that price even if it had teens to 20,000 on it. Maybe speedometer was replaced with a car that was wreck.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any concerns about "dry rot"or parts/seals going bad from just sitting?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how discussions like this brings out all the forum idiots. If you would actually look at the published information on number of cars produced in each color, you would see that red was the highest produced color for a particular year only about half the time. Matter of fact, that coveted blue / white car that every says is the one to have, they made way more of in '97 then red cars, and in '96 that's about all they made; blue / white cars. But, even now that you know that you will still claim that red was overproduced making it less valuable. No, it's the idiots that think what they think without knowing what they're talking about that drives that.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how discussions like this brings out all the forum idiots. If you would actually look at the published information on number of cars produced in each color, you would see that red was the highest produced color for a particular year only about half the time. Matter of fact, that coveted blue / white car that every says is the one to have, they made way more of in '97 then red cars, and in '96 that's about all they made; blue / white cars. But, even now that you know that you will still claim that red was overproduced making it less valuable. No, it's the idiots that think what they think without knowing what they're talking about that drives that.

Or that objects made of metal are ready for the scrap heap after 16 years.....

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me this is a perfect example of how cars (most-there are rare cases) are not an investment vehicle. MSRP was (I think) $66,000 and now he wants $43,000. A loss of $23,000 over 16 years. I'd be pretty pissed if I invested $66K and after 16 years my portfolio was only $43K. That is bascially what this person did because they did not drive it... So, drive these cars because it really does not pay to let them sit. Just my opinion.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me this is a perfect example of how cars (most-there are rare cases) are not an investment vehicle. MSRP was (I think) $66,000 and now he wants $43,000. A loss of $23,000 over 16 years. I'd be pretty pissed if I invested $66K and after 16 years my portfolio was only $43K. That is bascially what this person did because they did not drive it... So, drive these cars because it really does not pay to let them sit. Just my opinion.

You're leaving out the myriad of other costs as well George. Insurance, maintainence would jack that figure up well higher.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you keep your car in the bank and your cash in the garage, you are investing wrong? Is that the message here? lol

That I agree with, however regarding colors I have a slightly different perspective and not because I have blue & white.

While about the same number of B&W GTS's versus red GTS were produced (2,128 vs. 2,156), a red GTS could be a 1997, 1998, and if you didn't notice the wheel change, a 1999, a 2000, a 2001 or a 2002. All look virtually alike. A blue & white can only be a 1996 or a 1997. Throw in another 5,034 red RT/10's GENII's vs. 53 blue ones and if you're feeling really sporty, the almost identical looking 4,026 red GENI's and you end up with a lot more red Vipers in the world versus B&W ones (2,181 vs. 11,216). Less relevant but still part of it is that there are a heck of a lot more red sports cars in general vs. blue & white ones. Lastly, the traditional use of blue & white as a Viper launch color scheme also contributes to the elevation of B&W in some people's eyes, myself included.

Red is clearly a more popular color for a sports car overall or there wouldn't be so many produced, but the blue & white has a special place in Viper history and as such will always have a unique appeal and vehicle condition equal, probably command a slight premium.

Just my opinion -

Last edited:

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why change the color? Red is nice. Once you get it take lots of pics... I can't believe it only has 605 miles.!! It's a brand new dam car!!

If so, and the car is what it is... Practically brand new.. Buddy you are lucky!... Keep it clean, keep the miles low, and have fun.

Oh! Don't change the color. You'll ruin it man!:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang