1998 GTS vs. 2001 GTS and ABS

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All, I've just started shopping for my first Viper and I'm trying to decide between a '98 GTS and '01 GTS (for non-racing purposes, at least initially). I've looked at some recent sales of seemingly comparable '98 GTS and '01 GTS models. If they both have the same mileage, what would I be giving up by going with the '98 if it's priced $10k to $15k less? I know the '01 has ABS whereas the '98 doesn't. I would appreciate the opinion of anyone who has owned or driven both regarding a comparison of the handling (ABS), comforts, etc. Thanks.

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 GTS. I like the cam sound better than later models, I like the the more detailed design of the 17" wheels and I have forged pistons. Hope that helps.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For exactly the same reasons Brad mentioned. 98 is my favorite year. Rough ride, rough idle with just the right features I want and no more.

I'm not putting down the 01 but it is a MUCH smoother ride. Viper purists aren't generally interested in smooth rides.

Either one you won't go wrong.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2001 (if < 36000 miles) is still under 3/36 warranty and you can purchase a new-car Max Care warranty that you can transfer to another buyer. If the 98 has an extended warranty, can it be transferred to you? Even so, you will not be able to transfer it to another buyer.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the pistons and cam dont matter if you dont plan on extensive mods in the future. i have an '01 and am now putting in forged pistons, and a 96 cam on top of the other mods. having a pre '00 that would be money i wouldnt have to spend if i knew that i wanted to mod my car. the problem with that approach is, i thought i would be happy with just corsa ;)

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned 2 1998 GTS's and now have a 2002 GTS. I sold one of the '98's to get the '02. My '02 is much stonger and even dyno'd with more RWHP's.

If you have the money, go with the ABS. If you can't afford it, go with the 1998. You will be happy with either one.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The 2001 already has the frame stiffening recall done by the factory.

If you can threshold brake, you don't need the ABS, but its nice for a novice like me.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont forget the 7/70 warranty or the balance of it on the '01 car. That can be really cheap insuarance. Lets not mention the benefits of the ABS.

Reaction score
I have a 98 GT2 and would suggest the 2001. The 2001 has ABS, better future resale value, adjustable side mirrors from inside and an internal rear hatch release.

OP
OP

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have responded so far. The '98 would fit in my budget better up front but I understand repairs can be very costly without the warranty. Also, I'm really concerned about the lack of ABS on the '98. I went through Skip Barber's Racing School and was able to get the hang of threshold braking. However, that was under "semi-controlled" conditions and it seemed to help that I could see when the front tires were about to lock. Would the majority of Viper owners agree that '01 is a smoother ride than the '98? I've always seen where Gen 2's were smoother than Gen 1's but it seems there is also a difference within Gen 2's? Thanks again.

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with a 99 mainly because I was set on forged pistons, but wanted the updated interior and power mirrors. 99's also have the 18" wheels. I would've liked to have ABS, but couldn't afford to buy an 01 and install forged pistons for a forced induction setup.

99's can be found in the $45k-$48k range with less than 10k miles.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 99 RT10. The lack of ABS concerned me. After the first high speed panic braking 'event' I decided I needed the ABS. The alternative is to have brake proportioning valves installed on the earlier cars, as DC just couldn't find a way of keeping the darn right front from lockin up at EVERY opportunity.