1999 GTS... First Oil Change Ever???

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the oil and filter on my 99 GTS today. I purchased the car with 805 miles on it in 2011. The current mileage is 1,070. I have very little history on the car. My question, if possible, does the filter look original? It was all black and said Mopar on it. The new filter I installed was all white and had the Viper logo on it. The oil appeared to be very clean and had a almost purple color to it when draining.

On a side notes, picked up some race ramps, I usually just use my low profile jack and stands however the ramps made it easy. Make sure you get the extensions for the Viper.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The originally specified filter would have been the black Mopar filter. Its what is listed in the parts manual. Even if the oil filter had been changed many would just replace it with that. The white filter with Viper on it is a newer specified part that is recommended.

As far as the oil, Royal Purple is purplish when it is new; but changes to typical brown after some amount of use. Don't know how much; so, someone changed the oil at least once, I'd guess.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's not something to be proud of. Oil that old gets water in it and can break down and lose it's protective qualities. Even if you drive it 100 miles a year, change the oil once a year.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's recommended for most cars to be flat when doing an oil change; such a high angle may puddle oil in a corner and not get it all out.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saved the first filter from my GTS as I bought it new. I can't put my hands on it now....but I think it was a black Mopar filter with the words "factory fill" or,"factory installed" on it too.

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saved the first filter from my GTS as I bought it new. I can't put my hands on it now....but I think it was a black Mopar filter with the words "factory fill" or,"factory installed" on it too.

Mine didn't have the "factory fill" markings on it. I did save it though.

I thought it was Royal Purple when I saw it which makes me think the oil was changed by someone before me. As a matter of fact not only was the engine oil very clean, but all other fluids were as well. I have very little history on the car. It’s a certified ACR and records show it once having the factory ACR wheels. For whatever reason, someone changed them to the GTS wheels.

I had the car fully inspected including suspension, leak down etc... before buying it. The only concern found was that the tires were the original factory issued. Need to get those changed. I replaced all fluids and the engine oil was the last thing to do.

I’ve been busy the past two years since purchasing it, in and out of the country for work, moving, which explains the delay in getting it serviced and safe to operate. I plan to enjoy it now until winter. I took it out yesterday and got on it for the first time, motor feels healthy.

Actually only have one more payment left on it and then it’s all mine.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
......Car needs to be level when draining the oil.
I think the Mopar branded filters that are sold at the bozo part stores (autozone, checker/schucks/kragen, o'reilly, whatever) are black.
In their application guide, it's the same filter the fits all the other Chrysler / Dodge products. The Viper specific filter has to be purchased from the dealer, or one of our Viper parts vendors.
The filters are interchangeable by dimensions, it's what's inside that's different.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others mentioned. Drain it while flat and while it is the OEM filter, mine has the same

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others mentioned. Drain it while flat and while it is the OEM filter, mine has the same

I actually take a flat cooking pan and back the car off the ramp so that its flat and let the remaining oil drain. This until I get rear ramps.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that low miles ? you should be embarrassed. same goes for the first oil change in that many years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh