1st Drag Event, is a 12.06 good?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right a 12.06 my first time ever on a drag track. Okay, my first run of the day was a 12.4, but my best run of the day (7 runs total) was a 12.06 which I hit twice. I've got slips, pics and video to prove. I'll *** those later. It was a long day and I need some rest.

Special thanks to Mark Wheatley (ViperBing)for setting it up. He ran low 11's in his super charged '97 GTS. Ahmar Stephenwoof (Woof) ran 12's in his '06 coupe.

This was really cool and I highly recommend it for those on the fence about trying it. There was no one there. We had the whole track to ourselves. It was awesome! I will admit... we just ran against the clock and not each other. So, my reaction times are like 3-4 seconds. Hey! I was working on my launching and shifting. Comeon. I'll work on the whole reaction time thing next time. Until then enjoy. I'll get some pics and maybe even video out shortly.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! Did you run at MIR? That place is never empty, so that's really cool that you got so many runs in on a Friday night. Tell us a little about your launch....RPM, clutch technique, etc.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

Great time, being able to take your time and launch helps get the best times. Don't be surprised to see the times drop when/if you are racing against someone.

Let's hear about those 60 foot times.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, what were your 60ft times? Pilot tires? Thats good 1/4 mile times for any near stock Viper, but VERY good for your first time at the track! Congrats!

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay okay. More details. I did 7 runs. I probably averaged around a 1.9 on the 60ft. I had two runs in the 1.8's. My best 60' which was a 1.062, my best run of the day, was a 1.862. 330 was 5.208, 1/8 was 7.897 @ 90.62, 1000 was 10.147, and 1/4 was 12.062 @ 118.49.

I didn't break 120mph all day long, but the times were decent. The track was Capital Raceway Kelly, not MIR. I wouldn't mind trying MIR but like you said it's always busy. I was on the stock PS's I think they are about 5 yers old *cough* Lee *cough*. I launched at different RPM's I tried to launch around 2500 and ease into the launch. One time I launched at 3000 and had to ride the clutch (very bad). Another time I poped the clutch and spun way too much. I also had a couple runs with probably too much spin on the first shift. On my last run of the day (another 12.06) Jim, the guy that videoed, said I chirped my tires in all four gears. Interesting?!

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a nice day for racing. We did a track rental, so we had the track to ourselves. You could basically run as much as you wanted. I couldn't get my car to hook up however. Last year, I was getting 1.6 60's and this year the best I could do was 1.8's on my Kumhos. I am not sure if this was a factor of track prep or my tires being 3 years old. I ran a few 11.0x's at 133. I think I may need to invest in some drag radials. :)

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car was still awesome Mark. And I couldn't have gotten near those times without your keen advice. Thanks again!

Here are my two best slips.

DragSlip_Mar07_1.jpg

Sorry for the full res but this one didn't scan well.
DragSlip_Mar07_2.jpg

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice runs Batboy :) How many miles on your car?

Sometimes they get quicker as they get more miles on them..

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! That's a great job for your first time. Just work on your short times and the rest will follow. Only one problem though, you can't settle for a 12-oh, now you need something starting with the number 11. LOL
Take care
John

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, just checking one of my runs from last Fall.

Your 1/8th ET is .2 behind mine, and with me running 11.80 in the 1/4 that seems to add up, but your 1/8 mph is 7 mph behind my 1/8mph..(90mph vs 97mph)

Yet your 1/4 mph is less than 1 mph slower than my 119.85mph..

That's the way things go sometimes I guess.

:bonker:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960