20,000 miles possible on stock GEN II tires????

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am looking at a 01 RT w 20,000 miles. Owner states the tires are ORIGINAL. Is that possible? The 02 GTS I had was done with the stockers by 10k miles and only limited "spirited driving".

Can you realistically get 20k miles out of Pilots?

Thanks...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you can get up to 30k on fronts (usually more like 25k), and up to 20k on rears (usually more like 18k), but they will be LOW on tread.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
23,000 miles on my '00 Gen II Sport Pilots, but the rears are getting close to replacement (I bought the car a year ago with 12,000 miles on the odo, so I assume they are the stock tires). I figure I've got another 2000-4000 miles left on the rears, perhaps 6000-10,000 more on the fronts if my past experience with Sport Pilots on a Viper are relevant.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES...21000 miles on mine when i changed the back tires. still on the fronts for now.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With the old MXX3s, absolutely not, but with the Pilot Sports we have seen a boatload of folks over the 20K mark. I am fairly certain he is being straight with you!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
24K on my rears before needing replacement, original fronts still have good tread on them, and I expect another 10K miles out of them with luck. :laugh:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Original 1996 MXX3's. 18K miles with another +/- 2K left in back, much more in front. Several drag events, one Viper Days weekend and much spirited driving. Certainly not the traction they used to have though (in back).

OP
OP

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, interesting ok so I guess it is possible to get that kind of mileage although I imagine you'd have to limit the burnouts. :D

Now if I purchase the car I guess I'll need to make a decision on whether to go replacement Pilots or the new Kuhmos...Anyone have a comparison between the two?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do not start the engine; push the vehicle around your neighborhood with its windows open while your wife(girlfriend)drives the car; and play the sound of a running Viper engine on your radio, you should be able to get about 150,000 miles on the stock tires. You will also get fantastic gas mileage while getting into great shape. There must be a string of posts in existence somewhere on this subject in the archives entered by the representatives of the Garage Queen Viper Association of America. However, I am too busy actually using my tires to look. As CT said: "Flame intended. Suit on."

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I gave my buddy my Rear Pilots when I switched to Kumhos at 10K miles, they were barely worn.

He got 35k+ out of his stock rear Pilots, but the cords were showing.

My fronts have 12K miles and barely any wear.

Howard