2000 and up Viper owners (piston change)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone changed to the forged pistons?

Who did it for you or who would you recommend?

Would/could a Viper tech at a dealer do this.

Any idea on cost?

My car has 6k miles on it if that matters.
I want to get a S/C on the car. Maybe even the Roe kit, but I would want the higher boost option.

Thanks
John

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the regular kit for a while John......either way bring it up and I will take care of it for you. Also before you consider the higher boost you should really consider head work before or at the same time.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my RT bored and replaced the pistons with custom JE forged pistons. I used Childs and Albert gapless rings. Much stronger combination. I had a local machine shop do the work. This guy is an engine wizard! While I had the heads off, I had a 5 angle valve job done. The car was STRONG afterwards!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
BigCarrot,
Where did you have this done? What did you bore to 510, 514? What was dynoed RWHP and TQ? What was cost? Would like to see your car. Thanks.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I never dynoed the car! I wish I had! I don't have it anymore, but it seemed to increase the power substantially. The heads were milled a little and cleaned up. The machinist said I would net about 30 hp from that alone, and it was only $500! His name is Trevor Johnson and he's in Rockwall, which is just outside of Dallas. He does work for some major tuners. The block was done at performance automotive in Dallas. They do a lot of LS1 stuff and hadn't done too much on Vipers, but he is VERY meticulous and did a splendid job! I think it came out to 500 cubic inches or so. The whole thing cost about $4000, but I did all the work myself. Not so bad!

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the regular kit for a while John......either way bring it up and I will take care of it for you. Also before you consider the higher boost you should really consider head work before or at the same time.

Tony, I certainly enjoyed speaking with you the other night and don't worry if I choose the Roe s/c I will certainly take you up on your offer. Do you have any head work done. I can't remember? Do you know of someone close by?