2000 GTS dyno after Arrow rebuild (photo)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Chris,

Those are some awesone numbers!

Glad to hear your back in the saddle!

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Great numbers. I thought you had a Snake-Oyl rear assembly that delets the rear muffler.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
Again, just tubes and filters. Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marv S:
Great numbers. I thought you had a Snake-Oyl rear assembly that delets the rear muffler.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I have the two pipes instead of the resonator or whatever that thing is. I was told that the Snake Oyl pipes, besides soiling the back of the car, didn't do much for horsepower but did subtract weight and add sound. I did it for the sound about a year ago. I knew it was lighter, but I don't think weight makes a difference on the dyno - I sure hope not, because with my fat butt at the wheel I would probably drop 20 HP! Seriously, does anybody know if replacing the rear resonator/muffler does anything for the HP? I haven't done anything with the rest of the exhaust, but have debated it frequently. I know that the tubes and filters really made a big difference. Both this dyno and the last one were indentical set ups. I think it speaks volumes about the quality of Arrow's work - A++!

Oh, and Ron - SAE corrected of 435.2 HP and 479.7 ft lbs at the rear wheels. Let's see if it holds up in the 1/4 mile...

Chris

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** you Chris, you have the identical Dyno #s as me except I have a $5,000 exhaust. I will be dragging the 24th, will post #s let me know what you do!

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's another simple exhaust mod: toss the muffler and put in a straight pipe with balance tubes. Idle is a hair louder, but not too bad. This mod is good for 12 to 15 hp. The sound is truly awesome, as well. Yes, the Viper responds well to a freer-flowing exhaust!

That's the "official" scoop on the FAQ page. I warned you about the black goo from those pipes when first used. It can be a pain to get off. The fun weather should be there soon so you can really enjoy the car!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
Seriously, does anybody know if replacing the rear resonator/muffler does anything for the HP? Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool deal! I wonder what the balance tubes do for/against horsepower? While I like the exhaust tips, it was pretty expensive for what little it provided. I wanted the sound more than anything else. I was told they wouldn't really affect the ponies other than reduced weight. I wonder what others see with these pipes? Thanks for all the replies!

Chris

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very pleased! I had the car dyno'ed in September before it got shipped back for a rebuild (powdered metal cylinder sleeves and excessive oil burning). It was pulling a superb 436.1 HP and 483.1 ft lbs at the rear wheels. That was with smooth tubes and K&N's. I had just under 11,000 miles on it, so the engine was nice and loose. I have since gone through the 1,000 mile break-in by the book and passed the mark yesterday morning. I was at the same dyno shop last night and here is what she pulled:

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

These are SAE corrected, of course. I figure that since it has only 1030 miles on the rebuild it could increase on power as it loosens up a bit. Again, just tubes and filters. I have thought about headers but don't know if I would make enough horsepower to make it worth it, as some folks have reported less than spectacular results with the 2000/2001's with these mods.

The best part is that the car is burning ZERO oil at this point and the pressure seems to be 5-10 pounds higher, if you trust the accuracy of the cockpit gauge (I do). I am VERY, very happy and want to thank the folks at Arrow (and Woodhouse) for doing an awesome job with my baby. So far, so good!

Chris

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, I can't quite see the #s what are they (hp, torque), is it SAE corrected? I am happy with my motor also 1,000 miles not a drop of oil burned and higher pressure also. I only wish my motor was as strong as yours.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mako -

I think the correction factor was near 1.00, but am not quite sure. I know that some of the folks that were in there were disappointed with their numbers and thought they should be higher. I dyno'ed the car at the same shop in September and was showing 436.1 hp and 483.1 ft lbs at the rear. I had dyno'ed the car at a completely different shop/different dyno when the car was "new" (+/- 1100 miles) and it pulled 424.8 hp and 468.3 at the rear wheels. That was bone stock with no mods at all.

I can tell you that the car has always seemed very strong, including drag runs against other Vipers. There was only one Viper I raced at VOI6 that was eating my lunch pretty regularly (right Matthew?). Otherwise I seemed to win most of my heats. At our crappy little track here in KC (linoleum launch pad - best 60' of 1.85), the car generally pull's 12.0's @ 119-120 mph. Most of the other Gen II Vipers here are running 12.30's and 12.40's. It could just be luck - I honestly don't know. They are going to have "test and tune" nights at Topeka this year, which is the site for the NHRA Nationals. Great track and hopefully I can break into the 11's there. I have made three runs at that track, two with passengers. My last one there was 12.04 @ 120.5 as I recall.

No idea if the numbers are dead on or not, but I am having a blast!

Chris